The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM

Default Bought From MF..Can I Return to GC

I purchased an acoustic guitar from Musicians Friend about a month ago and have found it has problems with the saddle UST PU not picking up all the strings. I also had contacted the manufacturer who confirmed that there was an issue with the UST PU. I likely 'shouldn't' have a problem returning to MF for a full refund including shipping since there is an issue with the guitar (although I've read a few stories of return problems), but it might be easier to take a trip to Guitar Center since MF and GC are essentially the same. The guitar was actually shipped from the same Kansas warehouse both use.

It would also be easier to demonstrate to someone at GC the issue with the strings not being picked up, versus explaining it to someone at MF over the phone.

Anyone had any experience with doing something like this? I'll probably be calling the local GC today, but thought I'd look for some opinions here.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM

I would go back through MF for proper handling. Though they are joined at the hip, MF and GC run two separate systems and it would be a shame to get your refund tied up in a mess.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM

I don't think you can, but try if you want.

GC and MF have the same ownership but they are separate businesses. For example, I'm not paying sales tax for MF in my state. If a business have offices and stores they have to charge sales tax for mail orders and on-line orders. This suggest there is a separation between GC and MF that isn't going to allow you to use GC for a MF return. And those businesses that can accept return to a store for an on-line order, like Old Navy, JC Penny, etc. are bragging about it on their website as a big plus for the customer. MF doesn't.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

won't happen. same top tier owners, but different companies/systems/inventories/etc. won't allow for that to work at all.

They should do it, though for customer convenience, but we wouldn't like it cuz we'd all have to pay tax when we buy from MF if we have a GC in our state. I think that's a real driver of keeping them separate. I also think they do it in case they want to liquidate either or sell to someone else. it's a cleaner break and im sure MF is way more successful on paper than GC ever is/was, so they wouldnt want to spoil that for any future potential M&A.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM

I made the call to GC. No go on a return to them. I did pay MA state sales tax to MF which I would have done the same with GC where I live. MF collecting MA sales tax is something fairly new as I haven't had to pay it in the past.

Next call is to MF for the return which hopefully on a defective product goes well .
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Curious. Which guitar was it?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I'd be extremely surprised if GC would accept a MF return. It would be like Sams Club accepting a Walmart return.....
Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
If a business have offices and stores they have to charge sales tax for mail orders and on-line orders.
The Supreme Court's South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc. decision, handed down during June 2018, opened the door to substantial changes in how sales tax for online purchases can be handled even if your state is not a physical tax nexus.

For example, the camera store where I work does a lot of business via the internet. As of now, approximately 20 states where we have no physical presence require us to collect and remit state sales tax.

BTW I'm not surprised GC declined. Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic are all owned by the same parent company but you cannot return an Old Navy shirt to a Gap store.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 01-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp View Post
Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic are all owned by the same parent company but you cannot return an Old Navy shirt to a Gap store.
The big difference is that none of those stores have the identical products as the others, whereas the primary selection at GC and MF are identical items.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
The big difference is that none of those stores have the identical products as the others, whereas the primary selection at GC and MF are identical items.
And shipped from the same warehouse in Kansas City, MO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion