The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Traingle Muff Fuzz Review

Well, now. The first reviews started coming out in November and I decided to put the new Triangle Big Muff Pi reissue from ElectroHarmix on my Christmas list. My lovely wife obliged so I've had the pedal for a while and have had a chance to run a pretty good chunk of guitars through it. Perhaps I can offer a perspective that will be useful to folks on the board here. You can always find someone else who will be more obsessive/compulsive about history and/or comparison, but I suppose I have a more pedestrian approach, and besides, how wordy should you get about a three-knob fuzz?

Whatever the case, my review is offered up HERE, for those who wish to indulge and find out if the pedal is worth your pennies. Enjoy!!!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM

bob: great review, as usual. would be interesting to do an a/b with an original.

i use a fulltone fulldrive 3 that has both overdrive and boost. glorious tones.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you follow the link in my review to Kit Rae's Muff Fuzz page you can see what he thought of it. He had collected seven or eight original Triangle Muffs and allowed Mike Matthews of EHX to sample them. Mike apparently decided to use one of Kit's as the exemplar that they based the reissue on. Kit compares them pretty well.

Bob

Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Great review. I recently watched a documentary that seems to be recently done about Electro-Harmonix on YouTube. Interesting company. Interesting owner.

I asked in another thread if anyone had experience with the Green Russian Big Muff as the local used guitar emporium had (emphasis on had) one for sale. I ended up getting a used Boss Blues Driver BD-2 for 50 bucks.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 AM

I had a green Russian Muff but that was when I was a dumb kid. I never could get any useful tones out of it and one day it broke so I simply threw it in the trash... If only I had known I could get 400 bucks for it today.

Since then I've tried a few others and finally settled in on a violet rams head clone. It's more of a fuzz then anything but not like a death fuzz either. Muff's are the best.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 AM

I have an original that was already well used when I bought it in the '70s, and a green Russian version from the '90s. I actually prefer the green one - sound is roughly the same, but it's less noisy than the big '70s metal can. Nothing does the cello/violin sustain thing like a Big Muff.
Nice review.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Nice review (as usual for you). I always look forward to them.

I made great use of a Ram's Head version for a couple of decades before I retired my stomp boxes and went guitar-cord-amp (though with the amp having tremolo). Now I'm thinking of setting up a pedal-board again (I had one brief revival of that idea nearly a decade ago) and I've just ordered the triangle version you reviewed due to it's smaller size and, I hope, nice sonic flavor.

Like you mention, I kept the volume below Noon on mine, usually going into a clean channel Fender amp.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Nice review (as usual for you). I always look forward to them.

I made great use of a Ram's Head version for a couple of decades before I retired my stomp boxes and went guitar-cord-amp (though with the amp having tremolo). Now I'm thinking of setting up a pedal-board again (I had one brief revival of that idea nearly a decade ago) and I've just ordered the triangle version you reviewed due to it's smaller size and, I hope, nice sonic flavor.

Like you mention, I kept the volume below Noon on mine, usually going into a clean channel Fender amp.
Thank you! I try to stay as close to guitar-cable-amp as possible as well. I'm not really assembling a pedal board - I have a kit of pedals available for sessions and will put together whatever I need in that environment.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars