The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Steve...I'm humbled, and don't quite know what to say beyond that.

I will say to everyone else, though, that Steve's presence inside of the shop has played a major role in the development and construction of these two guitars. He has a unique way of making the uncomfortable, soon seem more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hi, everybody! Hi, Tom!
I just need to pitch in some observations about these two guitars my good friend Joel built. Just FYI, I’m speaking the cold, hard TRUTH, and no hyperbole here.

As you can tell, even the most minute construction details are impeccable. These guitars are so clean and refined, they look like the work of a Master craftsman, at the top of his game. I watched these guitars being built every step of the way, and coached Joel through the whole process. Once thing you can state unequivocally about the guy is, he really cares about what he is doing, and he is very meticulous and careful. Half-measures are for other people; not Joel. Inside and out, these two guitars are immaculate.

Which is doubly astounding, since these are his first two builds. That tells me that Joel is a natural at this work, like he was born to do it. He has all the right skills, the patience, the dedication, the passion, and the great depth of insight required. He’s found his true calling, no doubt about it!

As for the sound: I’ll cut to the chase... I’ve spent the last eighteen years continually refining my processes, my engineering, and all the aspects of design, in the never ending search for that Holy Grail tone, that is the dividing line between a nice guitar, and a master-class instrument. I feel great about the sound I’m getting out of my guitars. I think they compare well many of the top names and brands in the custom guitar pantheon, and I have many clients who agree.

And Joel’s first two guitars sound and perform as well as anything I ever made! He hit back-to-back home runs, way outa the park, on his first two swings. He’ll be in the Luthier Hall of Fame, for sure.

Both guitars have a very lively, articulate, balanced tone, with so much presence and character, the first reaction everyone has had to hearing and/or playing them is straight-up AWE. The bass notes are fat and round, but so well-focused... the midrange is complex and articulate... and the trebles have this lovely, overtone-rich, crystalline purity that never fails to evoke an emotional reaction. The balance from low to mid to high is seamless, and flows with great, mellifluous clarity.
Couple all that with great volume and sustain with a light attack, and blooming colors coming from every note and chord, and you have Master-class sound.

These two beauties both have a very supple, responsive feel, set up for primarily fingerstyle, with a low, fast action. You have to be a pretty sloppy player to get them to buzz or rattle. Numerous local people
(Joel has MANY friends) have played them, and the unequivocal reaction is, these are just in a higher order of being than anything they have ever played before.

I would compare the tonal character of these guitars to the ones I’ve heard by Michael Greenfield, Jordan McConnell, Ray Kraut, Mike Baranik, and others like them. They have a resemblance to Edwinson guitars as well, but-

Interestingly, though Joel’s guitars are built pretty much to the same specs as my own, including bracing, plate thickness, and all the rest, these Two Hands guitars don’t really mimic the Edwinson sound. They are similar, but Joel has already achieved a distinctive voice all his own, as he has invested HIS heart and soul into these instruments, not mine!
Can you imagine how proud that makes me feel?

I can tell you that working with Joel has forced me to bring my A-game, every time I step into the shop we share. I take the responsibility of mentoring/teaching very seriously, and working with a guy like Joel, I can’t just coast along on autopilot. I have to be able to justify all the why’s and how’s with solid logic, not some dogmatic, rote set of procedures.
So that is actually helping me improve my skills as well.

Anyway- You guys should keep your eyes and ears open for Joel Teel’s continuing adventures in the fine art and craft of Lutherie. He is destined for greatness. And, a bit of unsolicited advice: Anyone out there who is looking to commission a custom guitar from an up-and-coming luthier would be very wise to start a dialog with Joel. While you still can! He has generated quite a stir around here already, and soon as he gets a website up, and some broader exposure, I predict he’ll be loading up a substantial build list. So, why not beat the rush!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-30-2018, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tom,
Steve has spent quite a lot of time sharing his knowledge with me and demonstrating processes and procedures. It's nice to know that he doesn't feel that it's been time wasted. I look forward to the day that I can spend all of my time working in the shop, building guitars alongside him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
WOWWOWOWOWOW Steve, how do you really feel! I wish someone would endorse me like that for anything, heck I am a good teeth brusher!!!!

Congrats again Joel, to have Steve take the time to write that testimony tells me a lot right there beyond the words!!!

What a team you guys have become already with only greater things to come (at least one that I know of)!!!!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-31-2018, 12:11 AM

Just wow.

Those guitars are both, simply brilliant in design and finish. There is no way that I would (likely anyone) suspect that they are your first attempts, regardless of prior woodworking experience. They look fabulous.

It would be wonderful to hear to high-quality audio files. I remember Steve was talking a while back about working toward this end for his guitars. I hope both of you will be able to showcase your creations with high-res photos and accompanying audio. These instruments deserve that attention, as do both of you guys.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 05-31-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Very nice guitars indeed ... and the coolest logo I've seen in quite some time!
Old 06-01-2018, 06:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Jeff. It's exciting, yet humbling, to look back on this journey, so far, and see my Creator's two hands at work in all of this.

We do aspire to get good audio samples of our guitars, but that's a little further down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Just wow.

Those guitars are both, simply brilliant in design and finish. There is no way that I would (likely anyone) suspect that they are your first attempts, regardless of prior woodworking experience. They look fabulous.

It would be wonderful to hear to high-quality audio files. I remember Steve was talking a while back about working toward this end for his guitars. I hope both of you will be able to showcase your creations with high-res photos and accompanying audio. These instruments deserve that attention, as do both of you guys.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-01-2018, 06:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks David. I have a very good friend who is a graphic artist, and he helped me develop the logo. I'm blessed to have many talented and creative friends.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Very nice guitars indeed ... and the coolest logo I've seen in quite some time!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Joel, as one of Steve's friends, I understand how he radiates positivity at every turn. However, your work is just that - yours. And it is beautiful! I really love the bevels, they look comfortable without being too invasive. I'm really looking forward to hearing your work. I'll also echo everyone's comments on the logo, it's fantastic. If this is where you start, it'll be amazing to see where you end up!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Good morning Mike...
Yes, I understand what you are saying, and I'm very happy and pleased to have been blessed, by my Creator, with the abilities to achieve these results this early in my journey. But I also realize that I'm fortunate to be standing on the shoulders of 20 years of experience (successes and failures) that Steve has earned...

The guidance and direction in the construction process that Steve gives me, has streamlined my learning curve, given me insight, and kept me from making mistakes that I surely would make while I'm learning this craft...

BUT...even more important, is the crafting of tone. It would have taken me years to learn how to coax such wonderful sounds out of a guitar. Steve is teaching me the philosophical foundation of his preferred bracing style, and how to manipulate it to achieve expected results. Steve had me shaping braces waaaaaaaaaaayyyy beyond the point that I was comfortable...not so much pushing me out of my comfort zone...but putting me at ease while nudging me to keep going further...and further...and further than I would have, without such one-on-one guidance.

So yes...these guitars are my creations, and I'm very humbled yet proud that they've turned out this well...but the reality of the situation is that they are built upon the foundation of Steve's 20 years of experience...and I'm fortunate and blessed to be standing on his shoulders, and creating guitars with the same DNA as an Edwinson, yet with their own personality.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Joel, as one of Steve's friends, I understand how he radiates positivity at every turn. However, your work is just that - yours. And it is beautiful! I really love the bevels, they look comfortable without being too invasive. I'm really looking forward to hearing your work. I'll also echo everyone's comments on the logo, it's fantastic. If this is where you start, it'll be amazing to see where you end up!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop