The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM

Default Just tried Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings

I have had my Legacy Hi Gloss for about a month now and found it a bit dark with my normal EJ16 'S so I tried some paradigm strings, and not bad but not worth the extra expense for me. Then tried John Pearce 80 /20' and liked the sound but died prematurely. So I just put on a set of Ernie ball Aluminum bronze 12-54. I was warned that they could sound terrible at first. The warning is correct. They do indeed project more and I hear each individual string. They are very bright almost bell like but without any warmth whatsoever. I am told to wait a day or 2 for them to calm down. I sure hope so. Anyone else try these on a Cf guitar yet?
Old 05-31-2017, 03:06 AM

I had the EB Aluminum Bronze on my Rainsong for about 2 weeks. I was constantly re-tuning them. Finally had a breakage. They don't like going back and forth with alternate tunings. Sound was ok. Strings were squeakier than I like.

So far; I like the Martin Retro Custom lights 11-52 for playability and decent sound.
The Retro Lights 12-54 are what I play most. Fuller sound, decent playability. The medium TR Retro's 13-56 have the best sound to my ear. Just hard on my old fret-hand.
If I'm just flat picking, the Mediums are awesome. String noise is less with the Retros. Last a long time.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-31-2017, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I tried the Aluminums on my GX and thought they would be good if I just played a lot of leads. It gives the instrument some extra "cut," but they weren't great for my mostly strumming and singing.

I've tried a lot of strings on the GX and Reds and Newtone Doubles are my favorites. I am not sure how close the Legacy is to the GX but you might want to give them a try. Be aware that the Reds have a relatively short lifespan and change tone as they age. The Newtones are much more stable and long lasting, but sound different.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I had the EB Aluminum Bronze on my Rainsong for about 2 weeks. I was constantly re-tuning them. Finally had a breakage. They don't like going back and forth with alternate tunings. Sound was ok. Strings were squeakier than I like.

So far; I like the Martin Retro Custom lights 11-52 for playability and decent sound.
The Retro Lights 12-54 are what I play most. Fuller sound, decent playability. The medium TR Retro's 13-56 have the best sound to my ear. Just hard on my old fret-hand.
If I'm just flat picking, the Mediums are awesome. String noise is less with the Retros. Last a long time.
I've always thought that the AB strings had a bit more brightness to them. Might be good for some guitars but I'm reluctant to try them on my RainSong. I love the sound of Retro strings on the RS and was thinking you might like the LJ's Choice Medium/Light 13-17-24-32-42-56?

Seems it could be the best of both worlds!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:39 AM

I have a set of EB Al Bronze 13s arriving today. They are a special kind of string that, compared to phosphor bronze, has more highs and lows. I don't know of any other string sets that have the same tonal characteristic. It has an effective mid cut.

I don't use them on my solid rosewood guitars because it magnifies the effect of rosewood, which does the same thing. I think they sound good on mahogany back and sides. However, I got a new Taylor 210e laminate that I wanted to try them on. I use that guitar amplified. The laminate rosewood sits in between mahogany and rosewood, in terms of tone. It has the fundamentals of rosewood without the complex harmonics. My hope is that the strings bring some of that out.

I really like the paradigm PB 13s on my Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
I tried the Aluminums on my GX and thought they would be good if I just played a lot of leads. It gives the instrument some extra "cut," but they weren't great for my mostly strumming and singing.

I've tried a lot of strings on the GX and Reds and Newtone Doubles are my favorites. I am not sure how close the Legacy is to the GX but you might want to give them a try. Be aware that the Reds have a relatively short lifespan and change tone as they age. The Newtones are much more stable and long lasting, but sound different.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Newtones, never tried them before. I think the GX and the Legacy have similar tonal qualities.
I recently saw a picture of Paul Thorn on his Facebook page holding a Legacy and emailed him asking what strings he used. He replied with Dean Markley Acoustic Vintage Bronze. Never heard of them before. Might try those as well.

The EB AB strings seem to pronounce the mids on a guitar that already has pronounced mids, so, not sure a good fit.
I have an open mic tomorrow night and have to decide tonight if i will go with these strings that have only been on 24 hours or change them out tonight for something different.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:01 AM

I've been using aluminum bronze mediums on my Emerald X 20 ever since the strings were introduced. I like them quite a bit – even when they're fresh – and they really do last like coated strings.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:48 PM

I gave them 48 hours, and just could not like them. And the would not stay in tune. Switched out to Martin 12-54 marquis 80/20 's. Nice! Right from the get go. Been play now for 2 hours. I don't want to put her down. Plugged in to my Bose L1 compact and sounds great. Great unplugged too. Might have a winner here. Time will tell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber