The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 AM

Default Strings on Journey OF660

I recently lucked onto an OF660, used (through this Forum). That put me up to four CF guitars, all of the others being Rainsongs. But I wanted to try one of these, as it seemed like the most likely solution to traveling by commercial air, or other transportation that had limited carry on space, and was rough on checked luggage.

At first, I was disappointed. The sound seemed weak, muffled. Especially in the trebles. Then I tried putting it on a wall hanger, standing in front of it, and striking the strings from there. The sound was much more full. I don't know why; I suspect the offset sound hole works better toward the front and not as well around corners, for some reason only a physicist would understand.

Last night, as a further experiment, I changed the strings to GHS "Bright Bronze" (their term for 80/20 bronze) lights. Now it sounds just fine. Very powerful for the size. It's a keeper, not just for travel, but for the living room couch, or any place a smaller guitar makes more sense. I had always stuck to PB up 'till now; I thought the 80/20s were harsher. But this one needed them.

My impression so far. YMMV.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:56 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
I recently lucked onto an OF660, used (through this Forum). That put me up to four CF guitars, all of the others being Rainsongs. But I wanted to try one of these, as it seemed like the most likely solution to traveling by commercial air, or other transportation that had limited carry on space, and was rough on checked luggage.

At first, I was disappointed. The sound seemed weak, muffled. Especially in the trebles. Then I tried putting it on a wall hanger, standing in front of it, and striking the strings from there. The sound was much more full. I don't know why; I suspect the offset sound hole works better toward the front and not as well around corners, for some reason only a physicist would understand.

Last night, as a further experiment, I changed the strings to GHS "Bright Bronze" (their term for 80/20 bronze) lights. Now it sounds just fine. Very powerful for the size. It's a keeper, not just for travel, but for the living room couch, or any place a smaller guitar makes more sense. I had always stuck to PB up 'till now; I thought the 80/20s were harsher. But this one needed them.

My impression so far. YMMV.
Hi Pete

Like you, I have a Rainsong and also a Journey in my acoustic stable but "only" one of each!

Your comment about strings is interesting. My OF660 came with Elixir PB Lights whereas my Rainsong OM1000N2 with Elixir 80/20 Bronze and my feeling is that the latter, of the same material as your GHS', seems brighter to me and probably worth trying on the OF660 too which, as you say, seems muddier (certainly than the Rainsong). When I got the Rainsong with the Bronze, I found the ends of my fingers needed to get used to the strings (more abrasive somehow)!

I love both guitars and both have their uses but for me the Rainsong is my favourite.
Journey Overhead OF660
Dusenberg Paloma
Relish Bloody Mary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber