The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM

I really like the subtle look and the workmanship. And that wood...Beautiful!

Do you mind expanding on the resonance being "in a good spot"? Is the motivation wolf note avoidance?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Beautiful guitar. My Stehr has a character mark on the neck in just about the same spot. Never bothered me...it's wood and it isn't perfect.

Love the proportions too. Because it all goes so well, I wouldn't know it to be a smaller body. It looks quite deep, though, and I would expect it to put out some nice volume, in spite of it's smaller other dimensions.

Really looks wonderful!
Thanks Mike! Because it's going to Memphis, I didn't want to leave anything open for criticism, so I made a new neck. I was also quite happy to change to the ebony fretboard (:

Honestly, I would have made a new neck regardless of the intended purpose of the guitar. In addition to the knot, there was significant black streaks in the surrounding area. I'm guessing the beginning of some fungus?

The body depth dimensions are 4 5/8" at the tail and 3 7/8" at the neck. Deep, but not the deepest. The wide camera angle distorts the image a little bit and makes it look a little deeper than it is. I do feel that the extra eight inch or so at each end gives it a deeper voice, which I like.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy D View Post
Looking at the photos, I'd say you built it "just right". Very subtle yet impressive.
Thanks Willy! "Just right" is where I hope to be. I really like the tension between the words "subtle" and "impressive".
Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Here are a few shots of today's progress. The first sealer coat is on, and you can get an idea of what the wood is going to do under finish. And I'm excited! I like what I see so far.

[IMG]IMG_6913 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6916 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6912 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here are a few pics of this guitars' twin which has been in progress at the same time.

[IMG]IMG_6904 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6907 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6902 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

And here is a pic of the third sibling, which was finished a few days ago. Sorry if I'm bombarding you with irrelevant info...but I want to share. This guitar was a real pleasant surprise for me. It's the first of it's kind for me, and I'm extremely happy with it. Way more volume and tone than it should have for it's size. I've always liked maple guitars, and this guitar is no exception. Wonderful trebles and very good definition up and down.

[IMG]IMG_6924 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_6928 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Wow ... talk about impressive!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I really like the subtle look and the workmanship. And that wood...Beautiful!

Do you mind expanding on the resonance being "in a good spot"? Is the motivation wolf note avoidance?
By looking at the main fundamental resonance, you can get an idea of how tight or loose the top or back is tuned. "Tuned" is a result of how the top or back was thicknessed, braced, and voiced. I've learned that a few herz can be the difference between a harsh sounding guitar that is too bright, and a guitar with a more pleasant tone with fuller bass and even trebles. In my mind, this is just one part of achieving more consistent results from guitar to guitar. I track the frequencies at various stages of the process, and keep notes on how they change as things come together. I'm finding that the numbers are quite dependable, and useful. Of course that could change (:

I've read other builders theories on how to interpret and use resonant frequencies as a means to avoid wolf tones, but I'm unaware of a common consensus. One persons says you want the top, back, and air cavity to be tuned in pitch with the 440 scale, and another says that you want those parts to be between semitones. Perhaps someone else would like to chime in ?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 PM

"I track the frequencies at various stages of the process, and keep notes on how they change as things come together. I'm finding that the numbers are quite dependable, and useful. Of course that could change (:"

Thanks for that, makes sense to me.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 PM

Well, today was this guitars' birthday! I got strings on it this afternoon, and I am very pleased. I was getting good vibes (literally), the whole while I was finishing it and during final assembly, and those good vibes translated to a very nice sounding guitar. Granted, it's fresh, but I really like what I hear. I'll try to offer a more in depth description of the tonal properties once I have a little more time to soak it in and really get to know it.

I don't have final pics yet, but here are a few of the body before gluing the bridge and neck on. I'll try to get final pics in the next week or so, and I'm planning on doing some recording with it as well.

[IMG]IMG_6968 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6963 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6962 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6961 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6969 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6956 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6976 by bellajoy, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Nice, nice, nice! Love the tail graft!!!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

I skimmed a bit, but I hope I read correctly that I'll get a chance to see this guitar at Memphis. Really exceptional work, IMO.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

As I think I mentioned before, I think the rosette is killer. I will make sure to stop by your booth in Memphis.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I skimmed a bit, but I hope I read correctly that I'll get a chance to see this guitar at Memphis. Really exceptional work, IMO.
Thanks Bruce! I'm really looking forward to meeting you and so many others at the show. Yes, this guitar will be there with me.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:55 PM

That is one of the best looking rossettes I have ever seen.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Very impressive work - love this particular aesthetic. Too bad I will not be at Memphis but will look forward to hearing reports on these beauties. Thanks for taking the time updating the thread. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post so many photos. I especially enjoyed the scraper images and the closeup of the binding routing. All the multi-colored purfling shavings put me in mind of an artist somewhere, collecting them for a giant mosaic of sorts.

I've always thought I could build a guitar, but doing it is way way more. I think I'll stick to plumbing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop