The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 AM

Default Gibson CE Set Up

I recently purchased a 2002 Gibson CE on e-Bay. The top and bottom E strings both are buzzing at the 2nd fret. Does anyone know how to adjust the string height on these guitars?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Cool Gibson CE Set Up

I own a Gibson Chet Atkins CE, and it's the same guitar you have, it's possible your guitar suffers from excessive or uneven fret wear on the lower register, which can easily create fret buzz. Put a straight edge across several frets to see if they are any frets that are lower than the fret on either side. If they are level, you can raise the string height by installing a thin spacer under the existing nut. If that eliminates the buzz, you may have to file the nut (slots 2, 3, 4 & 5) so the other strings are at the correct height, if you know how to do that. If not, it would be better have it done for you by a tech or luthier that you trust has the experience.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Default Gibson CE set up

Thanks Glen, I will see if I can get a guitar shop to take a look at it. I also noticed the strings laying right on top of the headstock right past the nut. I have not seen that before. I usually put my thumbpick under the strings at this point but it is a very snug fit. This is the second CE I have owned and did not have this issue with the other one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical