The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Yes, a koa topped guitar can be a risky proposition, especially in a custom build where you can't hear what it sounds like beforehand. However, I went into my custom build with Kevin Ryan with absolute confidence that he could deliver me the guitar that I wanted. We talked about my playing style, which is about 80% strumming, he asked other questions, and he took over from there.

The guitar met my every expectation, and then some. And yes, if you're going to get a Ryan, you might as well get the bevel w/soundports, you won't regret it.

good luck on your choice.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
No CPA, you're not the only one who believes that it's asking an awful lot to expect one guitar to be a superb strumming and fingerstyle instrument. Look at my previous comment. However, although I agree with you on that particular point, I heartily disagree that Brazilian is the superior back & side tonewood. But, that's the nice thing about a forum like this. We can have differing opinions, yet be civil to each other. I think where problems occur (and disagreements can escalate) is that the subjective adjectives like "best" and "superior" are viewed as absolutes. Just my 2 shillings worth.

And, once again, Double O, I urge you to have a face-to-face with Kevin (if possible), demonstrate your playing style(s) and rely on his knowledge and skills to create an instrument which best compliments your style. In the case of my customers, that's how I prefer to work. Only one piece of concrete advice. If you're looking for a guitar that can stand up against medium to heavy strumming/picking, it's been my experience that you'd do well to stay away from most WRC.
I would agree for medium to heavy strumming, I would definitely go with spruce top. For fingerstyle guitars, I really like redwood and cedar, I think they have an incredible ability to be manipulated by your touch as a fingerstyle guitars. I think you should really consider doing up two guitars...too many conflicting features of each guitar to put in one guitar

On back and side woods, I have personally found Brazilian is the most resonant and has such incredible bottom end... what do you like better than Brazilian? I think most people would agree that Brazilian certainly is in the category of superior tonewoods, with perhaps a few others.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:25 PM

CPA: I'm afraid that I've started to hijack the thread from its original intent, so I'm going to PM you with an extended response. Just wanted to clear up one point, I really do feel that Brazilian is a wonderful wood, just not one of my favorites. I'll go into more detail in the PM.

Oh, and a suggestion I have for the originator of the thread: Consider talking with Kevin about a Port Orford Cedar top. My experience is that the right Port Orford top can produce an amazing guitar with a variety of back and side material, including EIR.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
CPA: I'm afraid that I've started to hijack the thread from its original intent, so I'm going to PM you with an extended response. Just wanted to clear up one point, I really do feel that Brazilian is a wonderful wood, just not one of my favorites. I'll go into more detail in the PM.

Oh, and a suggestion I have for the originator of the thread: Consider talking with Kevin about a Port Orford Cedar top. My experience is that the right Port Orford top can produce an amazing guitar with a variety of back and side material, including EIR.
Well I think it is relative to the thread... he did ask for input on woods.

I can see you are a builder.... do you think that he should consider doing two guitars and focusing on one of the more challenging builds, an exceptional fingerstyle guitar? I think Kevin builds great fingerstyle guitars and he is incredibly innovative in his bracing and use of materials. I still think a Nightingale with Mad Rose with an italian spruce or alpine spruce top with the bevel and the flutes would be amazing.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

To the OP, have you played Ryans? To me that's far more important than any facts, assumptions or generalizations that can be made about a paticular tonewood. The builder's innate tone, style of building and voicing practices, for me, is paramount. Wood choices are just the icing on the cake.

So if you want something that works great for all styles of play, I dont feel a mere changing of the woods or even body style is gonna do it as effectively as it can be done. If I were looking for the kinda versatility and specificity you're describing, I'd go to some guitar shows or high-end guitar shops and keep my mind open to what guitar/builder may work best for the styles of music I play. Maybe it's a Ryan...maybe it's not.

Last edited by usb_chord; 01-24-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM

CPA, you did bring up an interesting point about concentrating on a great fingerstyle guitar and going with a different flatpicking/strumming guitar. I think that goes hand in hand with what we apparently agree on, which it's a tall order to expect one instrument to excel in both genres. I think that expectation can lead to disappointment. I remember a teacher of mine who claimed his particular instrument was the best overall guitar, for anything from fingerstyle to jazz. I never told him so, but it wasn't.

Two guitars is definitely something to be considered. Of course, it's easy for me to say, as I'm not the one ponying up the drachmas.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 AM

Default Paradiso

Double O,
I've got the second Paradiso that Kevin built. A Mady/Sinker that I couldnt be happier with. It does everything well including strumming, is well balanced and the only thing it may lack is bright harmonics. My next Ryan will probably be a Rosewood/Engelman.

While the wood choices will affect guitar sound, you should speak with Kevin on what you are looking for and he will easily steer you to the best wood selection. The sound he is able to acheive is all about his design so to some extent it matters less on wood choice and more with his ability to build this sound into what you are looking for. Also, don't be mislead by the Paradiso's size, it has a big sound. I've performed with it on stage and had people coming up to me afterwards more for how the guitar sounded than the looks. so go with what is more comfortable to play. Lastly, i generally prefer necks that are 1 11/16" and had some trepidation with ordering Kevins standard thin neck. Glad I did as I quickly go used to it and the extra spacing provides room for inproving your playing ability with fingerstyle arangements.

Good Luck!

Martin D41 Custom - 2017
Gibson Custom Shop 1963 ES-335 - 2013
Ryan Custom Paradiso - 2010
Kanile -Joe Souza Ukulele - 2007
Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 AM

With your description, I'd go with a Rosewood/Spruce Nightingale ... a European Spruce most likely. As for the bevel and flutes, they really do finish off a Ryan nicely.

Enjoy your build when you get it started. Kevin's a wonderful luthier to work with.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
With your description, I'd go with a Rosewood/Spruce Nightingale ... a European Spruce most likely. As for the bevel and flutes, they really do finish off a Ryan nicely.

Enjoy your build when you get it started. Kevin's a wonderful luthier to work with.
And having owned and played maybe 5 or 6 Ryans...I liked the Nightingale the best and it was a Brazilian with European spruce top... was a signature series and was quite a clip above all of the others. It had his EO (engineered opening) bracing, and the bevel and the flutes... which were attractive and the flutes were functional.... a great fingerstyle guitar... strummed... not so.. Just seemed to get all muddy. Just my opinion. I think a dread/modified dread is the way to go on a strumming flat picking guitar!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM

I wonder if his old bracing was better for a heavier attack? I have a 2005 Braz/Euro Nightingale that stays crisp when played hard ... it even has a deeper than normal box. It's actually one of my favorite strumming guitars ... and it shows it as it has more fretwear than even my favorite dread. I can't believe I've had it for over six years ... it's a great guitar.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
I wonder if his old bracing was better for a heavier attack? I have a 2005 Braz/Euro Nightingale that stays crisp when played hard ... it even has a deeper than normal box. It's actually one of my favorite strumming guitars ... and it shows it as it has more fretwear than even my favorite dread. I can't believe I've had it for over six years ... it's a great guitar.
I am sure that is a part of it... I think it would be really difficult to get one guitar to be great at fingerstyle and strumming alike.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I liked the Nightingale the best and it was a Brazilian with European spruce top... was a signature series and was quite a clip above all of the others. It had his EO (engineered opening) bracing, and the bevel and the flutes... which were attractive and the flutes were functional.... a great fingerstyle guitar... strummed... not so.. Just seemed to get all muddy. Just my opinion.
I've never strummed a spruce Ryan to get a muddy sound. and I've played a few dozen I also have a very heavy picking arm

Quote:
I think it would be really difficult to get one guitar to be great at fingerstyle and strumming alike.
agreed! very difficult, but not unheard of!

I bet your favorite strumming Olson is an amazing fingerstyle guitar! how can it not be I think My Cathedral is the most versatile guitar I own. is great at both fingerstyle and strumming!

to OP, just be as articulate as you can to Kevin and he will certainly deliver!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 01-25-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I've never strummed a spruce Ryan to get a muddy sound. and I've played a few dozen I also have a very heavy picking arm

agreed! very difficult, but not unheard of!

I bet your favorite strumming Olson is an amazing fingerstyle guitar! how can it not be I think My Cathedral is the most versatile guitar I own. is great at both fingerstyle and strumming!

to OP, just be as articulate as you can to Kevin and he will certainly deliver!
Might be in our definition of strumming.... when I say strumming I mean really playing a song...flatpicking. It just seemed like the SS Brz Nightingale would be overdriven by it. I always play one of my Olson dreads out because we will play diverse music but pretty lively stuff like Rocky Top, Sweet Child of Mine and Mary Jane's Last Dance... and it is the right guitar for those. Though I am a mediocre fingerpicker at best and so when I do fingerpick something it sounds pretty good on the Olson dread... but I also would not try and play Rocky Top on the Olson SJ... just not the right guitar for it.

And I would be surprised if your Kostal wasn't more versitile!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Another thing to consider is the type of string used. On my Nightingale, I use New Medium 80/20s ... they give a clarity and crispness that I don't get with phosphor bronze. Also, I tried lights and mediums and they didn't fit the guitar like the new mediums do.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Might be in our definition of strumming.... when I say strumming I mean really playing a song...flatpicking. It just seemed like the SS Brz Nightingale would be overdriven by it.
keith I strum very hard

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop