The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
talked to Todd at Elderly and ordered the medium brass ACRI picks and their thumb pick. Meanwhile I've been taping on the picks I have. Works fine except it takes awhile on and off.

going to try the glue on nails also, but have to wonder what happens as your nail grows--what, you just file the artificial nail down?

i truly appreciate all the wonderful expertise and experience that is available for the asking here. thank you very much,

rick
for glue on falsies: You can file them, as needed just like you would regular nails. They can weaken your normal nails over time but you can prevent that by trimming the knuckle end of the falsie back so that the new growth part of your real nail is exposed (do this before you glue them on). If you put a full falsie on the new growth will show after about a week so the falsie makers recommend changing them every 7 to 10 days. If you google for guitar fingernail shaping you should get some links that will show you how to shape them for optimal playing. James Taylor also has a cool vid on youtube about his nails, but he goes through way more trouble than is really necessary.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humulus View Post
for glue on falsies: You can file them, as needed just like you would regular nails. They can weaken your normal nails over time but you can prevent that by trimming the knuckle end of the falsie back so that the new growth part of your real nail is exposed (do this before you glue them on). If you put a full falsie on the new growth will show after about a week so the falsie makers recommend changing them every 7 to 10 days. If you google for guitar fingernail shaping you should get some links that will show you how to shape them for optimal playing. James Taylor also has a cool vid on youtube about his nails, but he goes through way more trouble than is really necessary.
I did the James Taylor way for a while and it works but now I use the false nails too just like you I like the Kiss nails short or real short glue-on everlasting french

Kiss Nails Glue On, Everlasting French, Real Short, and Crazy Glue or Super Glue

Last edited by TaylorTele; 04-23-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMason View Post
I have used steel fingerpicks for ages, never had a problem. Either Nationals or Dunlops, either nickel-plated or bronze. I think the gauge is .22. Not sure. They don't come off and fit snugly.

I am baffled by people who say their fingerpicks come off. Why is that?
Dear Baffled,

Not so baffling, a couple explanations come readily to mind: folks who -- unlike you -- have not been using fingerpicks for ages, experimenting to find the right balance between snug and comfortable; and others going after different sounds -- clawhammer, frailing, flamenco -- that can catch the backside (top) of the fingerpick under the string.

Hey, it's like figure skating -- if you're not falling occasionally, you're not doing difficult enough jumps.

R.Taylor Style 1 Cocobolo/Engelmann; Martin: OM-28M Rosanne Cash (Adi/Madrose); Custom Shop OMC-21 Juber (Gautemalen/Moon Spruce); CS 000-28 (Italian Alpine/Madrose); Santa Cruz OM Custom (Brazilian/German Spruce); Kevin Ryan Mission GC Brazilian/European Spruce
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 AM

I too struggled with this for ages, tried every type of pick but with little success and eventually by a process of frustration and default ended up back where I started, with plain ole nails.....how?

I've got horrible thin nails but I've found through persistent playing and careful filing so they are just proud of the flesh tip of my fingers I now get this wonderful touch which is surprisingly sparkly and not muffled at all. And I have to say its so enjoyable just to be able to pick up the guitar and play without all that messing about. It takes a little persistence but I think in the long run its probably worth it.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM

I did try dipping the picks I have now. definitely helps and more comfortable. I am having trouble adjusting to the picks though. I'll keep experimenting till something clicks.

down to a Recorder and a Harmonica
Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I've been using the steel Dunlops for over 30 years. I tend mold them snug but not too tight and they stay on just fine. However, fingers are not the same size so here's how to keep from having to remold them every time you get ready to play:

Get yourself a tube (a metal slide will do) and store your fingerpicks in there, placing them in the order each time. This will not only ensure that you're placing them on the same fingers but will keep them from getting accidentally squashed.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 PM

Default keeping pro picks on

Played with pro picks for several years - got tired of putting them on and off when I needed to flatpick...and one flew off into a an audience members face... so I tried acrylic nails. Loved them until one almost ripped off my middle fingernail. So back to propicks. How to I keep them from flying off?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

I like that dipping idea. I think I'll try it out. I have been using .025 brass Dunlops for years, and not only had a problem with them coming off, but cutting into my cuticles painfully. So I got some shrink-wrap tubing large enough to go around the flanges and heat-shrunk then down around the metal and trimmed off the excess and they have been a big improvement, not only for the cuticles and the staying on issue. I have a whole drawer full of failed fingerpicks as I tried all the alternatives—pro-pic, plastic picks, Alaska picks and so on and I always came back to Dunlops.
1936 Kalamazoo KG-14, K&K's
1957 National 1155 (Gibson J45 body, National neck) K&K's
2005 Warmoth Telecaster, Lindy Fralins
Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM

I get metal fingerpicks to stay snug by doing two things:

1. Get my fingertips slightly wet before putting on the picks. As the water dries, the metal forms a kind of tacky bond with my skin.

2. Shape the picks so I'm using an almost upward motion to pick the strings, and (compared to classical technique) a much sharper bend in the knuckle closest to the fingertip. This also requires bending the pick's striking surface, aka blade, at a sharp angle so that it closely follows the shape of the tip of my finger, and sticks out upward past the top of my finger tip about 1/8 inch or less. This way, each time I pick a string, the pick gets re-seated against my finger tip.

I recently won a contest from ArtistWorks.com and got to meet and play a few songs with Andy Hall, the dobroist of The Infamous Stringdusters. He is an amazing picker and a super nice guy, and he showed me how he puts paper tape across the top of his fingers, and then dips them a container that has crushed violin rosin. This keeps his picks comfortable and snug for hours.

Good luck!
Matt

Last edited by Matt G; 02-11-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrubin View Post
Dear Baffled,

Not so baffling, a couple explanations come readily to mind: folks who -- unlike you -- have not been using fingerpicks for ages, experimenting to find the right balance between snug and comfortable; and others going after different sounds -- clawhammer, frailing, flamenco -- that can catch the backside (top) of the fingerpick under the string.

Hey, it's like figure skating -- if you're not falling occasionally, you're not doing difficult enough jumps.
Regarding clawhammer, frailing, flamenco, and other styles, I just ordered a set of fingerpicks from ClawJam at ClawJam.com.

The picks have the normal rounded blade to pick in the normal banjo/dobro/guitar motion that curls the finger in toward the palm.

The picks also wrap up around the fingernail and cover part of the nail so you can pick the strings in the opposite direction, using a motion that extends the fingers out away from the palm.

If they work as promised (and as demonstrated in a couple youtube videos I saw), I'll be super happy.

Matt
Old 02-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Just lick your fingers before putting them on. It works. Keeps thumb pick from rotating as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM

put them in a pot of hot water and mold them to your finger. it has been done this way for years. i've also heard of the plastic dip but this is even easier and you don't have to buy anything.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Did not think about that before and put the fingerpicks aside... But as I use to put sticking Band-Aid parts inside slides to adjust to my fingers and stop them slipping off, should try it in fingerpicks too !
Old 02-11-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred53 View Post
A cool trick is to get the liquid plastic (Ace Hardware) that gets used for dipping tool handles into,and dipping your fingerpicks into it... I play pedal steel guitar and came across this on the Steel Guitar Forum... a couple guys sell picks that they dip...I tried it and it works GREAT!! I did two dips and coated my dunlop fingerpicks.... did three pairs.... they stsy ON and feel VEY comfortable too.... give it a whirl..... the plastic dip is under 10 bucks... it will dry out in the can,so use it up on adjustable wrenchs etc....
This is what I do. It works. Before doing this, fingerpicks would slip off when my hands sweat. Next time Im going to try PlastiDip in the spray can.
'09 Gibson SG Standard
'17 Fender Baja Telecaster
Reverend PA-1 Semihollow
Old 02-11-2019, 05:26 PM

I normally use Tone Deaf fingerpicks which are non adjustable and don't come off.

If I'm using the metal dunlops then they have to be at least mediums. (The lights will mostly slip off regardless of how tight you adjust them).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion