The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 05:38 PM

Default Gibson J-45 and J-15

I was in a guitar store today and a young man was playing beautifully on a used J-45. I once owned a J-45 and regret selling it. He put it back on the stand, so I picked it up and played it. I asked if he was going to buy it and he said, "Yes, I think I am." There was also a used J-15. I played that one and actually liked it better. I asked him if he had played the J-15 and he said, "Yes, it's great. But, it's brighter than the 45. I'm a tenor and the deeper sound of the J-45 goes better with my voice." I'm a baritone, so perhaps that's why I liked the J-15 more. I didn't buy the J-15, but I was tempted. Anyway, I'd never given much thought to how a guitar's sound needs to complement a singer's voice.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:45 PM

Funny thing, there's another ongoing thread on here about wood types and vocals, Mahogany vs. Rosewood.
I think different voicings can also make a big difference, but they don't have to.
I am a legitimate baritone and I can get along vocally very well with my J45.
I make adjustments by changing chord voicings if needed.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion