The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 AM

Default Franklin (Nick Kukich) guitar value?

I'm looking for a ballpark value for my 1981 Franklin dreadnought (Brazilian B&S - correct me if I'm wrong). There aren't many or any to reference in my searches! I will be putting it up for sale once I can establish a value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2336.jpg (51.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2337.jpg (54.8 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2326.jpg (42.2 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2306 (1).jpg (62.4 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2340.jpg (24.0 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 AM

Wow, that's a beauty! You should contact Nick - he may or may not be able to help you establish a fair price, but I'm sure he would love to know it's available.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:24 AM

Hi AGnut...

Take a bunch of very good clear well lit pictures covering all areas of the guitar, front, back, sides, neck, headstock, back of headstock...literally all areas, and make contact with Gruhn's Guitars, and Mass Street Music, and ask them about doing a basic appraisal off of your pictures. I imagine there would be some charge for this...BUT...you will get a very accurate fair market valuation that will be respected and accepted by potential buyers.

Also do the same with Nick Kukich...Franklin Guitars, but from him you want to find out what the current new build price would be...not...current used market price...leave that price to Gruhn's and Mass Street.

Superb guitar you have there...it will be an easy sale!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

WOW! That Brazilian is gorgeous! This might be the only 14 fret Franklin D I've seen
Old 05-29-2018, 11:09 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated! I have sent the appraisal form and photos to Gruhn Guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi AGnut...

Take a bunch of very good clear well lit pictures covering all areas of the guitar, front, back, sides, neck, headstock, back of headstock...literally all areas, and make contact with Gruhn's Guitars, and Mass Street Music, and ask them about doing a basic appraisal off of your pictures. I imagine there would be some charge for this...BUT...you will get a very accurate fair market valuation that will be respected and accepted by potential buyers.

Also do the same with Nick Kukich...Franklin Guitars, but from him you want to find out what the current new build price would be...not...current used market price...leave that price to Gruhn's and Mass Street.

Superb guitar you have there...it will be an easy sale!

duff
Old 05-29-2018, 11:14 PM

Google search found nothing... the Franklin Guitar website mentions dreadnoughts as an option. I sent Nick an email last week regarding this guitar. Haven't heard back. The site states "Serious enquiries may phone 573-698-3210" but I don't know if this warrants bothering the gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
WOW! That Brazilian is gorgeous! This might be the only 14 fret Franklin D I've seen
Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 PM

I don't want to bother the guy, but... I'd sure love to know more about the guitar. Maybe he would like to hear from me about #300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Wow, that's a beauty! You should contact Nick - he may or may not be able to help you establish a fair price, but I'm sure he would love to know it's available.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGnut View Post
I don't want to bother the guy, but... I'd sure love to know more about the guitar. Maybe he would like to hear from me about #300?
YES...absolutely he would!!!

Nick takes his work very personally, from what I gather having talked to him, and he would be delighted to hear about an old friend!

Nick is now here in Portland Oregon by the way.

duff
Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 AM

Hey Duff! I phoned the number on the website and it's not in service. You wouldn't happen to know his new number?

Quote:
YES...absolutely he would!!!

Nick takes his work very personally, from what I gather having talked to him, and he would be delighted to hear about an old friend!

Nick is now here in Portland Oregon by the way.

duff
Old 05-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful axe. Looks like Madagascar RW to me.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGnut View Post
Hey Duff! I phoned the number on the website and it's not in service. You wouldn't happen to know his new number?
Hi AGnut...

I will check with my friend, fellow luthier John Greven also here in Portland...I think he has Nick's new number. I will know by tomorrow, and let you know!

duff
Old 05-31-2018, 03:37 PM

Feel free to pm me if you like, Duff.

Quote:
Hi AGnut...

I will check with my friend, fellow luthier John Greven also here in Portland...I think he has Nick's new number. I will know by tomorrow, and let you know!

duff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop