The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Bill Kelday Guitars

Seemingly not a ton of information / owners of these guitars on AGF?

Re listening to Ceol More and loving the sound of that OOO. I believe Kelday is a one man shop so there can't be that many out there. I see one used at Guitar Rodeo. Any owners on here? Or just anyone who has played a Kelday at length.

Curious if these generally fall into that airy / lowdeny irish sound profile or if the body style ( classic martin OOO) belies a more fundamental tone/ general thoughts on these guitars.

Edit: Now realizing he's Scottish, thistle on the headstock should have given it away. Regardless any opinions/ experience?

Last edited by Gratefuliving; 03-23-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 AM

Take it that's a no! Anyone know anyone on here who has owned/ played one?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM

I think Dream Guitars had one of his a few years ago, and Fine Acoustics, who used to trade in Maryland, became enamoured of his work before the shop closed. I once met a student of his from a course he was teaching on in Glasgow, she idolised him. I had no sense as to where his guitars stand tonally.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:34 AM

Well I'll be able to share with the next guy whose wondering because I just snagged this one from Guitar Rodeo/ Podium!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 AM

I'm wondering, so share away
Old 04-03-2015, 04:29 AM

Tony McManus' first custom guitar was a Kelday ... I played it once and it is indeed a lovely instrument. This is that same guitar in this video
Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

If I recall correctly, Tony McManus played a Kelday guitar for years.

Sounded lovely based on my recollection.

Stuart
Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM

Default Kelday guitar

I own this one: "Preowned '07 William elday 000 12 fret (#1 of the Healdsburg Quartet) with Cocobolo back and sides and a great Sitka top. (actually back is a 3-piece back with the center section of Brazilian Rosewood.) Excellent condition. Non-cutaway, slotted headstock. 1 13/16" nut width and 2 5/16" saddle spacing. 25.4" scale. Lower bout 15 1/8" with a 4" tail depth. Gold Alessi
tuners with wooden buttons. Ebony fingerboard and Brazilian bridge. Abalone rosette and thistle headstock inlay. Very attractive "crowsfoot" top trim. Hiscox case. What a great fingerstyle instrument and an absolute DADGAD gem. Most store visitors think this is certainly one of the best sounding guitars in the shop and many think it is absolutely the best." I copied this from their site when I bought it.

I bought it from Fine Acoustics. It is a great finger style guitar. More base than the Lowdens that I have owned. Truly a unique guitar.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 PM

Default Kelday guitars

I have 2 of Bill's guitars. One, the mah/cedar 000 that you see on his website and a Braz/Adi OM from the Healdsburg quartet. I'd say his guitars are very open sounding. Wonderful for fingerpicking. Something like a hybrid of a lowden and a classic martin. Bought both from Fine Acoustics before he went out of business. Truly wonderful guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop