The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Default Identification needed

Hi, just wondered if someone can help, not sure if I'm in the right place to post.

I purchased a Custom built guitar in Australia sometime ago made of Mahogany B&S and Californian Redwood top.

The measurements are - 11" upper bout - 16" lower bout - 3 7/8" dept - 19 3/4" total length of body only.

My question is, what model/size Martin guitar would you say this compares with? Cheers
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

The only Martin model I am aware of that comes close to that is the 0000, also known as the quado, or the M38.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM

The closest Martin in comparison would be the M or 0000 size. The depth however at the end block on an M size is 4 1/8" & your's is 3 7/8". Pretty close. The upper bout is 11 1/2" across. Martin's 0000 is the same shape as their Jumbo, but w/ the depth of their OM or 000.
Size/Type
Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Thank you Bruce and Madrose.

Being close to a 0000/M38 and having scolloped X bracings, I would think it may have a lot more volume, but she's relatively quiet and not very boomy/bassy. Do you know the answer to that?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

If it were that simple there would be more great guitars. While that's true, I cannot know much of anything about your guitar from what you've offered. Redwood almost always sounds thin to me. Scalloping is mostly misunderstood by those who implement it IMO. Certainly it is no guarantee of anything in particular, and though it's simply a way of shaping a brace, it can be a powerful tool in the hands of some. Because it is powerful, it can also work to defeat that which might have been.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
If it were that simple there would be more great guitars. While that's true, I cannot know much of anything about your guitar from what you've offered. Redwood almost always sounds thin to me. Scalloping is mostly misunderstood by those who implement it IMO. Certainly it is no guarantee of anything in particular, and though it's simply a way of shaping a brace, it can be a powerful tool in the hands of some. Because it is powerful, it can also work to defeat that which might have been.
Cheers Bruce, so true.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
As I think it was Bruce that stated before, it is pushing things to shy of the point where failure would occur is where hand builders have an advantage over factory built guitars. And how close they can push it differs drastically between builders... your top for example could be thick to a greater degree than necessary...which would make it less likely to fail but negatively impact the sound. Same with the bracing.

I think that is where it really makes the difference is having someone who can push the envelope but with their vast experience, knows not to push it too far.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Cheers CPA, yes I see your point. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop