The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-29-2021, 01:53 PM

Default I need HELP!!

The rear waist binding separated on my Martin. No surprise, I understand. I took it to a recommended local luthier to fix. He did but in the process a splotch of glue melted the finish on the back(clear, EIR). He then attempted to fix it and left sanding marks on the back of the guitar. After some conversation he agreed to “send to to a friend who does nothing but guitar finishes”. I got it back two weeks later with essentially no change. Still has scratch marks and the crater from the glue. I am open to suggestions as to how to remedy at least the scratches. I’ve read about drop filling but my skill set does not permit the attempt. What can I use to get the scratches out and not booger it up more?? Thank you in advance to all those who have way more experience with this than me! Kim
Old 03-29-2021, 01:59 PM

I'd start by contacting the person who re-glued the binding and communicate that the finish repair work is unsatisfactory and that your expectation is that he have it repaired to your satisfaction.

If necessary, contact the "friend who does nothing but guitar finishes”. Find out what, exactly, he or she did. I'd start by asking if he or she actually did see the instrument and actually did work on it - your description suggests perhaps not. Based on his or her response, I'd ask him or her what he or she recommends.

If that proves ineffective, I'd take it to a third repair person, someone skilled in performing high-gloss guitar finish repairs. Explain clearly what the issue is and what your expectation is for the completed work. You will end up paying that person for his or her work.

I do not recommend doing your own finish repairs/touch-ups unless you have considerable experience in doing so. The experience of most repair persons is that the chances of do-it-yourselfers making it look worse are very high.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 03-29-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion the luthier made it worse. He should step up and pay for a “qualified “ person to do a professional repair.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:35 PM

El Kabong the luthier?
~Bob
Old 03-30-2021, 06:50 AM

I do these all the time under warranty for Martins distributor here in Australia.

Too many people just put a dab of glue in and wolla they think its done.

First to your situation, it is on the guy that did the job to start with to make it right, he said yes I can do that and took that resposibility on himself to do it, if he did not think he possessed the skill set then he should not have accepted the job.

That aside, blending new nitro into old requires a certain skill set and knowledge, 2 weeks is not enough dry time before buffing nitro, if the person who took the job on cannot rectify you need to ask around and ask for pictures

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 03-30-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:55 AM

An example that was given to me to fix, not kidding that is how the repairer gave it back to the customer.

Fixed, this was done without pickguard removal. In a perfect world I would have removed the pickguard, however the customer did not have the funds for me to remove that as well and buff the whole top, so it was a localised repair only, its about blending new nitro with old nitro.

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 03-30-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:56 AM

Thank you all for your responses. It is truly, an unfortunate situation. I will be going to a someone else entirely to get it fixed. Life is full of hard lessons. K
Old 03-30-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimb55 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. It is truly, an unfortunate situation. I will be going to a someone else entirely to get it fixed. Life is full of hard lessons. K
I'm wondering if there might be anything you can do to save this "repairman's" next victim.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:34 AM

so lets get one thing out of the way

luthier: One who can build guitars

repair tech: One who can fix guitars

Apparently this guy is neither.

I'd move on from these people you've already had no success with.

A good repair tech may not be at all adept at repairing finishes. As you've seen this is a skill set all of it's own. If you don't have any experience it's not A DIY fix.

You are on the path I'd be on,, and look around for someone who is qualified an reputable to do this is the right thing at this point.

Even if it's contacting Martin to see who they can suggest if not repair themselves.

I had a pretty series gouge in a Taylor Grand Symphony. I finally decided to call Taylor, long story short, sent it to them, took a few months, but they made it look like a new guitar.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimb55 View Post
Can you post pictures? I have been doing touch ups for 20 years, learned doing my own guitars, specifically my 1998 HD-28.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair