The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-24-2021, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
A whole lot of people. For a really traditional sound, Blazer and Henkes is great. For a iteration on that sound . . . and perhaps my favorite builder of all time . . . John Slobod. There's a Blazer OM-28 at Schoenberg that I think really captures the vintage OM-28 vibe well.

A lot of builders will do a modified version of that sound.
Yeah, I've never heard a bad thing about a Circa...and the attention to detail is breathtaking.

A friend of mine had a B&H and said it was very good.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-24-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
Yeah, I've never heard a bad thing about a Circa...and the attention to detail is breathtaking.

A friend of mine had a B&H and said it was very good.
What's important to you? Strict adherence to the vintage Martin recipe and something that sounds very close to a vintage Martin? Or a sound that is based on a Martin but perhaps somewhat different. Do you like a very dry guitar? Lots of headroom? Do you want more overtones? Are you looking for a lot of bass or something with more mid-focus and directness?
Old 06-24-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
What's important to you? Strict adherence to the vintage Martin recipe and something that sounds very close to a vintage Martin? Or a sound that is based on a Martin but perhaps somewhat different. Do you like a very dry guitar? Lots of headroom? Do you want more overtones? Are you looking for a lot of bass or something with more mid-focus and directness?
I love the 000/OM shape and the feel. The quality of fit & finish is very important to me as is a simplicity in execution (so the circa instruments tick those boxes very well).

Soundwise to be honest I'm looking for something really good...but I guess quirky too.

I've had (and played) many great guitars that I've found rather bland despite being really great. The ones that I tend to hang on to the longest are those that have a strong personality.

I'm not (usually) a heavy player. I do like a dry sounding guitar but that mahogany sort of dry woody sound can be a novelty that wears off (for me). So probably the next guitar will be (another) rosewood one.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-24-2021, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Builders that are normally associated with modern sounding instruments that also make killer traditional instruments are James and Luke Goodall! Also I really like Froggy Bottom too. The FB H12 is one of the best sounding 000 guitars I've played as is the TR000 from Goodall.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-24-2021, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I love the 000/OM shape and the feel. The quality of fit & finish is very important to me as is a simplicity in execution (so the circa instruments tick those boxes very well).

Soundwise to be honest I'm looking for something really good...but I guess quirky too.

I've had (and played) many great guitars that I've found rather bland despite being really great. The ones that I tend to hang on to the longest are those that have a strong personality.

I'm not (usually) a heavy player. I do like a dry sounding guitar but that mahogany sort of dry woody sound can be a novelty that wears off (for me). So probably the next guitar will be (another) rosewood one.
If you aren't wanting something that is an exact vintage Martin clone, I can't recommend John Slobod (Circa) more highly. It is not possible to exceed the quality of his fit and finish, and his guitars are consistently among the best that can be had. He can do a guitar with real punch and headroom or something slightly looser with more overtones and compression. I like his 000s and OMs.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I have played a few varieties of 000/OM types.
I have recently bought a Martin OM28V.
It’s a fantastic guitar.
It’s fit/finish are not on par with my Collings.
It’s tone however exceeds my expectations, so it gets a lot more playing time than the Collings.
I would budget for a froggy, then buy a Martin, and save the leftover 4k for
a motorcycle.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I see you have/had a Sobell; check out a Bresnan OM. Or if you like a classical personality in your steel string check out a Carruth.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Another maker you may what consider is Bagnasco & Casati guitars http://www.guitar-repair.eu/. They do make an exact 30s OM replica

Although I have not played one of their instruments, every instrument I see on line, reviews I have read and clips I hear impresses me.

https://youtu.be/mPKfsJ65v2E
Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
I think you know there is only one builder who won't let you down... (I see from your list that you haven't owned one, shocking).

I'll be playing a new OM for Clive Carroll in the next few days! But don't tell him.

Jonny
Alas, I have not found him to be responsive by email. I have tried twice in five years with no response. Does one have to pass a test, like knowing the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Old 06-24-2021, 06:02 PM

have you looked at MJ Franks? I have one of his and have been very pleased. He's a great guy to work with as well.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:30 PM

My choice is Kim Walker. Alas, when some years ago his wait list reached 9 years, he stopped taking orders.

Still, if you want the best ...

Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Luthier Bruce Sexauer

If you want a Martin derivative 000/OM custom guitar, I recommend that you consider commissioning a guitar with California, luthier Bruce Sexauer. Give him a call to explore the possibility (-8 hours GMT).

Bruce is a frequent poster here on AGF and has been building stringed instruments for more than 50 years. Additionally he has been built about 70 traditional guitars in the style of Nazareth for Eric Schoenberg for over the last 25-years.

Bruce builds instruments, one at a time, has a prolific wood locker of seasoned, quartersawn tonewoods, builds in a traditional method using simple power and hand tools, hot hide glue and does his own thin oil varnish finishing. His guitars are responsive, balanced and feel alive when you play them. He is also a player and brings those insights to his bench. I have also found his ability to meet scheduling commitments and client communications to be exemplary.

I have commissioned 5 instruments with Bruce and each has exceeded my expectations. Here are two (a Brazilian RW | German Spruce 0-42 and a Myrtle | Adirondack Spruce 000-12F) that are Nazaresque in style (I require cutaways, so look past that) that are examples of his mastery. Both of these instruments have real birds beak bridle joint headstocks.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I see this question come up often and I always mention MJ Franks.
His base price (with Adi top) is around $4200

Did not know much about him but when i was looking for a "traditional" style OM with a 1 11/16 nut i found a used custom built MJ Franks OM on the forum for a great price. Needed a little bit of fret work but it is the best OM guitar I have ever played.

https://www.mjfranksguitars.com/

Here's an amateur pick of mine

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-25-2021, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

There's room to improve above the 000-28EC, but it can also VERY easily be a forever guitar: one and done. No one "needs" a guitar better than the EC, but they exist. I've had a regular one and 2 000-28ECMs (the same guitar with a Carpathian/Madagascar rosewood combo).

Just be aware that the "room to improve" comes at a decent cost, that is, you are at the point of diminishing returns. Of all the small factories, Pre-War does the best copy of a vintage Martin but be advised that a vintage copy may not be what you want. The EC does not sound vintage and that can be a slippery slope chasing what others say is better. Vintage Martins are very dry and that sound is loved by many, but not everyone and sometimes a mix of modern and vintage is nice and that's where the others such as Collings Traditional's, Bourgeois Aged toned, H&D, and SCGC all come in. Also 14 fret short-scale 000-28s are rare and most factories or companies make many, many more OMs than short scale guitars. Also be aware that many other companies use non-traditional terms such as OM-SS or OM short scale like SCGC, Collings, and Bourgeois. In the vintage Martin world an 000 is either an 000-12 or an 000-14. If its an 000-14 and its long scale it is an OM except for the first 5 months of 1934, but nowadays that is being "re-imagined" every few years and now even Authentics are no longer authentic as sales dictate all behavior.

A single luthier will usually beat out the small factory, but now the returns are even smaller and much more expensive, but if you have the hands, ears, both, or just the wallet, you can't beat Julius Borges (retired), Bruce Sexauer, Nick Kukich's Franklin guitars, John Slobod's Circa guitars, or the EU's B&H and B&C. Laurent Brondel builds with a unique style, but I am a huge fan and will undoubtably own one of his guitars someday...probably in rosewood.

Today, I had one of those days that many would dream about and sometimes its embarrassing to write, but I've worked hard. I am a mahogany guy and I am fortunate to own some world class vintage Martins in mahogany so I am done on the mahogany side. Since I like to bring in new guitars, I somehow keep buying rosewood ones and I hopefully bought my last one today (who am I kidding)...It'll be in the signature next week, but today something has to go and its a rosewood OM/000.

The choices are my Adirondack/Madagascar Martin OM-28A 1931, my Sexauer Italian/Cocobolo or one of my two German/Brazilian Franklins. I played the same song on each one. An MJH song, a rag, some finger-style, flat-picking, and finally into Open G and some Slack Key.....I probably played for 4 hours back n forth every song, sometimes after just a certain phrase or chord.

The Franklins will most likely be consigned by my wife or son after my ashes are illegally tossed into Hanalei Bay at sunset. Bruce Sexauer says his current guitars are much better than my 16 year old 000-12, but how can that be? The Martin Authentic is just that: all Martin, more scooped than the Franklins or the Sexauer, but such a joy to play and certainly no slouch. I didn't bother putting the Martin into Open G as that's what the new one's duties will be and an overtone richer guitar will prefer the lower tension. No winner today, but no loser either. They key is: it was a fun morning. And now the Martin has a new set of Elixirs so its here for another month and then I'll do it again!

I wish you the best. For me its a journey and not a destination.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:33 AM

Nick Branwell's OM in Engelmann/Cherry is one of the best OMs I've played in a long time. Bags of personality, all the way from South London, and cheap as chips compared to most anything comparable out there. Sits nicely between traditional/modern/classical influence. Very responsive with plenty of power and growl if needed. Sitting at Mak's guitars woefully neglected, but definitely stomps on the Atkins, Elysians, Bourgeois, Collings and other stuff in the shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop