The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-22-2021, 04:16 AM

Default Rosette time

This next section is all about the rosette which I was very excited to see because it's the first time that you get to see how the colour works in teh guitar design. I'm very pleased at how it's turned out. For me, it's the nicest rosette I've seen - which it should be given it was designed for my specific tastes.
I got quite emotional when I saw it as it made everything start to feel very real.

I'm loving getting the process shots as it gives you an enhanced appreciation of the incredible craftsmanship, patience, and attention to detail that goes into making such wonderful objects. Hope you enjoy the photos.

IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0464.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg IMG_0507.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0528.jpg
Old 06-22-2021, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Martin, for sharing the tale of your epic journey!! Looking forward to future episodes just as much as the season finale.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 06-22-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Thanks, Martin, for sharing the tale of your epic journey!! Looking forward to future episodes just as much as the season finale.
Thanks for following along. I'm hoping that I've exhausted my plot twists and it's just a straighforward ride into the sunset now...
Old 07-12-2021, 07:23 AM

Default Workshop tour for a 5 year old

One of the greatest pleasures for me in this has been getting to visit the workshop and learn so much about how these guitars are made. Another has been meeting the genuinely great (and greatly genuine) people who make them.

This time, I was on holiday for a couple of weeks in the vicinity of Taran Guitars (about 10 minutes away) so I asked if it would be possible to bring my family in for a short visit to let them see where the magic happens - Rory was kind enough to agree, although I'm not sure if he will again!

We started with Rory giving me a quick update on where the build of my guitar had got to and showing us the various parts. I was then very much taken aback when he asked if I would like to sign the soundboard! I let him know that I’d be highly honoured but didn’t really feel that I’d merited it. His response was that he considers the guitar a collaboration and he thought it would be really nice if I would – so I didn’t argue any more and signed MY guitar. I still can’t quite believe it. In fact, I was so taken aback, that I forgot to take any photos! (and yes, I’m aware of the internet “photos or it didn’t happen thing”, I’m still claiming it).

He then proceeded to give my 5 year old a tour of the workshop. I’ve never heard my boy talk so little – he talked about it for days afterwards thought. To finish up, he offered my son a photo holding the guitar and carefully gave it to him with the back facing out so he had a good hand hold. My lovely, independent-minded, slightly clumsy 5 year old then proceeded to give Rory a heart attack trying to turn the guitar around to face outwards, holding it in one hand. I think we all jumped towards him. Rory thankfully got there first and calmly sorted it out for him. We then got a lovely photo of him proudly holding the work in progress. And we left. And on the way out my boy turned to me and said “my hands were very sweaty holding that”! There are some things it’s best not to know!

boywithhalfbuiltguitar.jpg
Old 07-12-2021, 07:29 AM

Default A break from our (irregularly) scheduled programming

If this, or Scallywag's build (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=607638), have piqued your interest in Taran Guitars, but the wait time is putting you off, there appears to be one for sale at the moment through Rory's website. This is a cross between these two builds with an Adirondack top and Indian Rosewood back and sides from a sister set to the one that mine is build from (I believe). It also has a wenge neck which suggests to me that Rory is trying to build a powerhouse. More info at the link below if you're interested.

https://www.taranguitars.co.uk/available

Please note: I have no affiliation with Taran Guitars and Rory has not asked me to do this (indeed he doesn't know that I am). I've just enjoyed my build with them and thought I'd share with some folk that might be interested to know.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:31 PM

Default First commission - long awaited birthday present from Taran Guitars

Not sure I’d let my (not yet existent) adult child pick up my good guitars, let alone a wee one! Brave man haha. In seriousness though, must have been a heart melting day for you! Love that you get to visit the shop with your boy. That’s a really special thing. Enjoy every second of it!

That moon spruce top, by the way, is incredible. The silking is amazing!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 07-13-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Not sure I’d let my (not yet existent) adult child pick up my good guitars, let alone a wee one! Brave man haha. In seriousness though, must have been a heart melting day for you! Love that you get to visit the shop with your boy. That’s a really special thing. Enjoy every second of it!

That moon spruce top, by the way, is incredible. The silking is amazing!
Not sure I'll be in a hurry to do it again! On returning home, my 20 month old picked up my classical from its stand and carried it over to me. I'm pretty sure my Taran will live in a locked case until after bedtime.

The visit was great, really nice to share with my family when it's been such a positive part of the last couple of years for me. The guitar looks amazing to me and I'm fascinated by all the details in the wood that show up when it gets to a finished level. Can't wait to see what happens under finish!

Hopefully not long now until you get yours. Enjoy it when it comes.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:31 AM

Great thread, I’m very chuffed for you. I’m sure the guitar will delight you when it comes.

I didn’t know Taran Guitars were based in Fife, I’m in Inverkeithing myself. It’s way out of my budget but you’ve got me wanting to visit the workshop.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Great thread, I’m very chuffed for you. I’m sure the guitar will delight you when it comes.

I didn’t know Taran Guitars were based in Fife, I’m in Inverkeithing myself. It’s way out of my budget but you’ve got me wanting to visit the workshop.
Thanks man. With their current waiting list, there's a long time to save up!
Old 07-28-2021, 06:00 AM

Default Binding

The next installment starts with a message from Rory - "how do you feel about 5,000 year old black oak purflings". "Why, I feel rather good about that - thanks for asking".

We had originally intended African Blackwood purflings, but Rory thought that the black would let the vibrancy of the colours pop out and show them at their best. I've found that rolling with his opinion usually provides a good outcome. And as you can see in the photos below - I think it works.

Back to the emotional level, I was pleasedby a couple of things. Firstly, to have wood in your guitar from a tree that was growing around the time Stonehenge was being built...blows my mind. That's really very cool. Secondly, there were a couple of significant guitars I played on the way - Martin Simpson's African Blackwood one, and the bog oak guitar I played the day we finalised my build details. I like having these woods linked to my guitar. It feels like the story is being captured in the end product.

Anyway - enough waffle, here are the photos of magic happening with end graft installation and binding.

IMG_20210718_104557.jpg

IMG_20210722_133301.jpg IMG-20210723-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210727-WA0002.jpg IMG-20210727-WA0006.jpg
Old 07-28-2021, 06:57 AM

That looks stunning, and I do believe i saw it last week ;-) Thank you for sharing the story. Its great being able to see the build develop first hand and like you, the development Rory has made over the last 3 years or so is incredible, from very very good professional quality instruments to world class... driven by his obvious talent, dedication and passion for what he does. Will great to hear what you think of this when its completed

Cheers

Frank
Old 07-28-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
That looks stunning, and I do believe i saw it last week ;-) Thank you for sharing the story. Its great being able to see the build develop first hand and like you, the development Rory has made over the last 3 years or so is incredible, from very very good professional quality instruments to world class... driven by his obvious talent, dedication and passion for what he does. Will great to hear what you think of this when its completed

Cheers

Frank
I'm all sorts of delighted with how it looks so far. And I agree with everything you say about experiencing the development first hand - both sonically and aesthetically. The guitar I played two years ago was the best guitar I'd ever had in my hands - I've since played 3 that put it in the shade. Equally, the work on his rosette, and the addition of the colour has pushed his aesthetic detailing to a whole new level and I completely love it. It has allowed me to really make the guitar a reflection of all the influences in my life that led me to this point.

I will definitely share my thoughts on it, and if I'm brave maybe even a sample of me playing. I might even be open to a compare and contrast once yours arrives...although given yours is after mine, that's a risky proposition for me.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I'm all sorts of delighted with how it looks so far. And I agree with everything you say about experiencing the development first hand - both sonically and aesthetically. The guitar I played two years ago was the best guitar I'd ever had in my hands - I've since played 3 that put it in the shade. Equally, the work on his rosette, and the addition of the colour has pushed his aesthetic detailing to a whole new level and I completely love it. It has allowed me to really make the guitar a reflection of all the influences in my life that led me to this point.

I will definitely share my thoughts on it, and if I'm brave maybe even a sample of me playing. I might even be open to a compare and contrast once yours arrives...although given yours is after mine, that's a risky proposition for me.
Haha, Would be great to hear how they differ. I find when it gets to this level of quality, its never about one being 'better', just wonderfully different and why we always want one more ;-)

I'll keep you posted and maybe we meet up at Rory's when mine is done...although must warn you, I am more a strummer, fat fingered, with poor technique, but being fortunate enough to be able to afford this heirloom instrument, hoping it inspires me to get better... if this wont, nothing will!
Old 07-28-2021, 11:33 AM

Back to our chatter about an affinity between this guitar and my Taran that arrived at my home last week... I certainly hope there is one because mine is simply one of the finest sounding and playing guitars I've ever had in my lap, and there have been many. It's a wonderful instrument. It's exceeded my lofty expectations.

I'm going to hype you up even more. Sir, you are in for the treat of a lifetime. Rory is producing incredible guitars right now. Our respective guitars will have their differences in materials, and he built mine for my specific fingerstyle-only needs, so it's a very precise and unforgiving in the wrong hands. I will assume that he's tailoring yours to the way you intend to play it as well. And play it you will. It'll make you better.

It's not just a guitar that's being built here. Rory is creating for you a source of joy-on-tap, an instant smile every time you give it a strum or admire its beauty. I am incredibly excited for you!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 07-28-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:30 PM

Love this quote ;-)

It's not just a guitar that's being built here. Rory is creating for you a source of joy-on-tap, an instant smile every time you give it a strum or admire its beauty. I am incredibly excited for you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop