The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Trip to Denver

Hello AGF,
I’m making a trip to Denver next week. I was hoping to get your recommendations for your favorite acoustic guitar shops in the area.

Thanks!!
Craig

‘81 Yamaha FG335ii
‘86 Charvel Model IV
‘91 Takamine 12 String
‘01 Larrivee L-05
‘04 Taylor 414ce
‘06 Martin HD-28
‘15 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 08-04-2019, 04:59 PM

My favorite shop to visit is the Denver Folklore Center. Not big, but a nice selection of instruments. Just a very nice and friendly place with an amazing history in the Denver folk music scene.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Wildwood Guitars is my favorite shop in Denver. Olde Towne Pickin' Parlor is really good too.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:54 PM

Denver Folklore Center
Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 PM

Bit of a drive up to Longmont, but Guitars Etc usually has a good selection of Collings (and Waterloo), Bourgeois and Martin.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:13 PM

+1 for Wildwood. Knowledgeable people, great selection of guitars and my harp guitar is there on consignment! I know... totally shameless plug, but its late on a Sunday night.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 PM

Wildwood Guitars is a as good as any store to visit but if you go please take a bit of wisdom with you.

Wildwood is like nothing you've ever seen. If you walk in off the street the first thing you are going to ask yourself (or the staff) is, "Where are all the guitars?", and I guarantee you will wonder why those of us in the area suggest such a place. The storefront has a little counter with a cash register and a selection of accessories. There might be 20 guitars in the room, 15 of which are electrics.

Take a look at their website first. If you see something that grabs you and you want to test drive make a note of it. When you get there they will be happy to fetch whatever you want, but yes....those guitars are all in stock somewhere in underground tunnels and secret hiding places. Apparently they are the number one dealer of custom Gibsons in the US. Definitely worth checking out now that you know what to expect. They gave me a Wildwood Tshirt the first time I went in there- super nice staff!

https://wildwoodguitars.com/
Old 08-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Default One more...

Good suggestions all. You should also check out the Olde Town Pickin' Parlour in Arvada. Plenty of high-end guitars and mandolins in a comfy room.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 PM

I really appreciate the suggestions. It looks like the Pickin’ Parlour is very close to where we will be staying so we’ll be checking that out. We should also be able to make it to Wildwood time permitting.

Thanks again!!
Craig

‘81 Yamaha FG335ii
‘86 Charvel Model IV
‘91 Takamine 12 String
‘01 Larrivee L-05
‘04 Taylor 414ce
‘06 Martin HD-28
‘15 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF33 View Post
I really appreciate the suggestions. It looks like the Pickin’ Parlour is very close to where we will be staying so we’ll be checking that out. We should also be able to make it to Wildwood time permitting.

Thanks again!!
Craig
Hey Craig, if you like good coffee there is an excellent coffee bar right across the street from Wildwood too. I always hunt for the local guitar and coffee shops when I visit new/ different places. It's Vic's Espresso. If you go to Denver Folklore there is Koladi Brothers Coffee if you head toward Evans down Pearl street.....

I could go on and on Have fun!
Old 08-06-2019, 09:23 PM

Depending on where you're coming from (and your point of reference), Denver can be an underwhelming city for guitar shopping. Denver Folklore Center is . . . OK. Pick'n' Parlor is . . . OK. Wildwood is . . . small (granted, when I visited I didn't know to ask about what wasn't on the floor).

As much as I love guitars, there are better things to do in Denver than to visit guitar stores.

Larry
Old 08-06-2019, 10:13 PM

Well I just 100% disagree with Larpy If you want to play some really fine guitars you can certainly do that in Denver!

There are 3 shops I love to visit here in Denver, each has a great rotating selection of high end used/vintage instruments. Denver Folklore Center as mentioned, I bought my '95 Collings 0002H there years back. Recently I was there and played a few really nice Waterloos, Collings and Martins, enough instruments to warrant a visit. Folks are super friendly, and the customers may inspire you with their playing. I think the same can be said for Old Town Pickin Parlor, bought my '80's Martin M36 many years ago. Say hi to Uncle Kit! A wonderful shop. And a hidden gem is Victor Guitars on Broadway. Play some of Edwards custom guitars, let him tell you about the guitar building classes he does there, and if your lucky, he'll pull out some late 1800's Martin or some other fabulous guitar to play. Its a great place, visit if you can. And go get Empanadas down the street at Marias!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 08-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

If you go to Denver Folklore Center, I also recommend that you swing by Victor Guitars. Great people.

https://victorguitar.com/

You won’t be disappointed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion