The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Todd, you are way more patient than many of us. Today, I pulled into a "10 minute oil change" place. There was one vehicle in front of me. The manager said it would be about 15 minutes. After 45 minutes, we got back in the car, backed out of their service lane, and left. I made eye-contact with the manager as I got back in my car... he made no attempt to come visit with us.

Such is the way of the world these days - promises made, not kept. Work completion stated, date not met. I'm still waiting for the air conditioner service guy who said he would be here "Monday." Last Monday. As in 8 days ago. A call gets you another unkept promise. "Why don't you call another service place?" Thanks for asking. We have used this guy for our annual service for several years. Plus, other places I've called in the past week don't return your call.

The first two Emeralds I bought were in stock (one was a Select Series). Easy wait. The last one arrived about 6 weeks after the expected completion date. For full disclosure, a week or so of that was because we were traveling and had to wait until we got home.

Patience is a virtue... the older I get, the more I find I am less virtuous about some things. I don't care for sake. Or waiting. Tell me how long... then meet that timeframe. Everybody's happy. You are either a very patient man, Todd, or you are howling at the moon where none of us can see you. I wish you peace.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 PM

I know I’m in the minority here but I just do not like the veneer looks at all (any of them). Give me a raw CF any day if the week.

To each their own I guess.

I do love the idea of that X30-12 though......
Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speirsy11 View Post
I know I’m in the minority here but I just do not like the veneer looks at all (any of them). Give me a raw CF any day if the week.

To each their own I guess.

I do love the idea of that X30-12 though......
Some I like, some I do not.

This one I have never liked. Looks like the guitar is pretending to be a Les Paul. I could see ordering an x7 or 10 in royal ebony though.

All mine are bare weave.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-19-2019, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Some I like, some I do not.

This one I have never liked. Looks like the guitar is pretending to be a Les Paul. I could see ordering an x7 or 10 in royal ebony though.

All mine are bare weave.
I'd prefer a bare weave in transparent Emerald Green.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-19-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'd prefer a bare weave in transparent Emerald Green.
A man after my own heart. I have two green weave (X20 and X20-12) and one red weave X30 just to be different. My wife's two X7's have woody veneers, and she likes them a lot.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 AM

I'm expecting a ransom note on a green X10 any day now.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 AM

I understand the appeal of the woody tops but i don't quite get it personally. I like rhe way Emerald does the transparent carbon fiber wrap and, while the colors are a nice subtle touch, even the black looks great.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Of all the veneers they’ve used, I think the curly maple is probably my favourite. I’m not a big fan of the sunburst, either, but then I really don’t care for it on any guitar.

At least it’s a distinctive look for this Select Series, and I’m sure they’ll sell them all with little difficulty.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 AM

Be sure and use your best headphones to listen to this month's video. I'd love to hear an edited version of just the playing.

Now excuse me, gotta grab my X30 fan fret.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 AM

It really is a "to each their own" scenario. I like the look of them all. Plain carbon with any of the color options but those exotic veneers to me top the cake. Sure they're not cheap but they certainly catch my eye whether it be royal ebony, cocobolo, koa, paudauk, etc etc. and add a special touch to any of their instruments.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
It really is a "to each their own" scenario. I like the look of them all. Plain carbon with any of the color options but those exotic veneers to me top the cake. Sure they're not cheap but they certainly catch my eye whether it be royal ebony, cocobolo, koa, paudauk, etc etc. and add a special touch to any of their instruments.
I like most of the veneers, not all. But keep in mind, most Emeralds (ALL in my experience but I've only seen one veneer guitar up close) are much MUCH darker in the real world than they are under the glamour lighting Emerald uses for their product marketing. I've had two different colors of plain carbon and now have a cocobolo veneer, and they're all very close to black in typical indoor lighting, although the veneer less so than the plain carbons. Maybe some of the lighter shades of veneer are more visible. My cocobolo is visible in typical indoor lighting, but the only really strong visual clue is the arrow shaped stripe down the center that's MUCH lighter than the rest of the veneer.

They have an X30 on their site right now in a veneer they call "thermal oak" and it's so dark you have to blow up the photo as large as you can to see the veneer even WITH their glamour lighting! Can't imagine just how dark that would look in normal lighting...

I like the plain carbon just fine, but once I'd had two of those and was pretty sure the next one I was ordering was gonna be the long term keeper of the bunch, I spent the extra for the veneer. And it's not a huge deal, but I'm glad I did. I mostly don't see it after a while, but in good lighting, which I sometimes stumble upon, it's pretty gorgeous and I was right about the guitar. Right now it's my only acoustic and it may or not stay my ONLY long term, but I can guarantee I'm gonna be looking at this guitar for a looooooong time... So it was worth it to me in this circumstance.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I like most of the veneers, not all. But keep in mind, most Emeralds (ALL in my experience but I've only seen one veneer guitar up close) are much MUCH darker in the real world than they are under the glamour lighting Emerald uses for their product marketing. I've had two different colors of plain carbon and now have a cocobolo veneer, and they're all very close to black in typical indoor lighting, although the veneer less so than the plain carbons. Maybe some of the lighter shades of veneer are more visible. My cocobolo is visible in typical indoor lighting, but the only really strong visual clue is the arrow shaped stripe down the center that's MUCH lighter than the rest of the veneer.

They have an X30 on their site right now in a veneer they call "thermal oak" and it's so dark you have to blow up the photo as large as you can to see the veneer even WITH their glamour lighting! Can't imagine just how dark that would look in normal lighting...

I like the plain carbon just fine, but once I'd had two of those and was pretty sure the next one I was ordering was gonna be the long term keeper of the bunch, I spent the extra for the veneer. And it's not a huge deal, but I'm glad I did. I mostly don't see it after a while, but in good lighting, which I sometimes stumble upon, it's pretty gorgeous and I was right about the guitar. Right now it's my only acoustic and it may or not stay my ONLY long term, but I can guarantee I'm gonna be looking at this guitar for a looooooong time... So it was worth it to me in this circumstance.
Having experience with 2 different veneers thus far, I find the royal ebony to not be affected by lighting as much as the spalted beech. The spalted beech looks really dark in a poorly lit room.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Guest 928

At first I went with the black weave and then tried the ruby red weave--liked them both. Also have a Rainsong in hard blue--like it also. What brought me to the veneer is the realization that we will most likely never see solid wood in the patterns and colors featured with the veneers. As solid wood faces the veneer woods most often would not be structurally supporting or sound transferring. But as veneers melded with the carbon fiber they give us some beautiful wooden topography. As a long time wood worker I find the veneers to be ravishing.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I like most of the veneers, not all. But keep in mind, most Emeralds (ALL in my experience but I've only seen one veneer guitar up close) are much MUCH darker in the real world than they are under the glamour lighting Emerald uses for their product marketing.
I think the lighting in the video gives a much truer representation of the real-life experience than the studio shots - it's much more subtle.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-19-2019, 01:23 PM

This month's video has blown my mind thinking about a 7 string nylon baritone.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber