The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Jimi Hendrix on an acoustic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P701paKEMXs

Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 PM

Nice find. I have always been a fan of Jimi.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 AM

If you enjoy this, highly recommend the Hendrix "Blues" album!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM

It looks like the twelve string is not a full twelve, with the middle two strings having one string.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:10 PM

On the most recent occasion this video was posted on the AGF, I made the observation that it shows just how fortunate we were that Jimi decided to devote his talents to the electric guitar.

Every time I watch the video it reinforces that conviction.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
On the most recent occasion this video was posted on the AGF, I made the observation that it shows just how fortunate we were that Jimi decided to devote his talents to the electric guitar.

I don't know, I can feel his soul through that acoustic as well as I can through his electric playing. He just reminds me of a good Delta Blues man here, rough technique but great emotion.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm glad he mostly played electric because he totally rewrote the language of the electric and he was never gonna be that level of innovator on acoustic. But I wish he played a lot more acoustic than he did - I love his funky rhythm feel regardless of what he's playing but, if anything, it may come through more on acoustic because it's a more percussive instrument. He was never about refined or precise playing, but about soul and he was one of the funkiest players out there, which comes through really well on acoustic too, I think.

I loved the guy - if there's some rare footage of him playing a banjo somewhere, I bet I'd dig that too...

-Ray
Old 11-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I loved the guy - if there's some rare footage of him playing a banjo somewhere, I bet I'd dig that too...
Yeah, Jimi could probably play air guitar and I'd like that too.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Am I the only one who wishes he'd taken a bit more time tuning?
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
Am I the only one who wishes he'd taken a bit more time tuning?
I am pretty sure that he always tuned all his guitars down 1/2 step to E flat
Old 11-20-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist View Post
I am pretty sure that he always tuned all his guitars down 1/2 step to E flat
I don't mean he sounds like he's tuned low. I tuned my 12-strings a full tone low, but they still sounded in tune. Jimi's doesn't sound quite in tune with itself to me. I've never noticed this with his electric playing.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it sucks to see a guy who devoted his time to electric guitar play with more soul and feeling than most could hope to muster in two lifetimes.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't mean he sounds like he's tuned low. I tuned my 12-strings a full tone low, but they still sounded in tune. Jimi's doesn't sound quite in tune with itself to me. I've never noticed this with his electric playing.
An aspect of Jimi's playing that is over looked is his timing. He was extremely talented with timing. What this afforded him was that he could get away with sloppy playing or incorrect notes at times but because of the timing it worked. He played a strat with a whammy bar that he used often how could he stay in tune?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-21-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I have poor pitch sense, but Hendrix's live electric playing has a fair amount of out of tuneness. I suspect that's from a combination of ingredients:

1. As already mentioned, classic Stratocaster and whammy abuse, you're going to have issues.

2. Intoxication (various kinds).

3. Limited logistical support. What early footage we have doesn't show the typical modern fly-in-from-the-wings guitar tech who swaps out guitar with star guitarist every number or two. Early on, there was probably no guitar tech period.

4. Hendrix tolerated and liked a bit of dissonance. Some of his intentional chord forms and effects choices were biting to the ear and not meant to sound conventionally pretty.

As to the famous acoustic 12-string clip (the very existence of inspired Joe Boyd to create what is still probably the best Hendrix documentary)--it sounds like a 12-string to me. Yes there's a bit of chorus-ey out of tune-ness there, but that's one flavor that the 12-string can deliver.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-21-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
3. Limited logistical support. What early footage we have doesn't how the typical modern fly-in-from-the-wings guitar tech who swaps out guitar with star guitarist every number or two. Early on, there was probably no guitar tech period.
There's a pretty famous story of how picky he was about his guitars, even when he was just fooling himself. During the period when he definitely did have a guitar tech. I don't know if this was early or late or in between - we're only talking about a total of around three years, sadly. But his tech handed him a guitar on stage and he played it for a song and HATED it. Handed it back and told his tech to get rid of it, it stunk. They went through several guitars early in that show and none was doing it for him. Then out of frustration, after several changes, the tech handed him the first one back and he played it the rest of the night and loved it and told the tech he should have given him that one first. Which, of course, he had.

Something about the artistic temperament. Whatever, maybe it magically played a lot better after a while...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN