The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
On a recent post about innovation someone posted that Carbon Fiber guitars have caused him to loose all interest in wood ones. I never really thought about this given I have and had some nice wood guitars and simply love the look of figured wood like koa. A full koa was a ebay search for me for quite a while but to be honest now I really have lost all interest in wood guitars. Gave my 1939 Gibson J100 Centennial to my son last year for Christmas. He was thrilled but I never played it anymore. I guess I am one that is having trouble going both ways as well.
I have seen this thread and thought about it, and...

With regard to wood vs CF, no. I think each has their place ad there will be those who prefer one over the other for various reasons as has been already discussed in this thread. My preference is not for CF over wood, but instead for having found the right guitar for me, which happens to be CF. I don't know if a guitar with this one's particular characteristics could have been made from wood. However, for a normal sized guitar, I think the preference really depends on a particular person's tastes.

That said, your new CF doubleneck, based on how you have described it, is probably much better in many respects than could be done with wood. So you and I have unique cases in which our particular instruments fare better as CF instruments than could be done with wood. I think those are special cases. For guitars in general, I would say that CF and wood each have their pros and cons (at least to me).

Tony
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Not over the top at all really because for some people it is true. The experience of a carbon fiber guitar for them was superior to a wood one therefore, wood becomes a less desirable option. Certainly that is not everyone and it is I am sure a small minority of guitar players but the option is a valid one certainly not over the top and certainly not without logic. That is not to say that the majority will always prefer wood, that is fine, there are aesthetics to wood that are wonderful. But there seems to be a current with many wood players that only wood can make a superior guitar that would be the ultimate quest of a player. Just not true for some of us.

I guess I could go back to your Lear Jet analogy, no doubt there are many that prefer the wooden airplane. But I would not rule out the guys that like the Lear. There are some nice aesthetics there as well and some logic for its being kind of a cool and desirable form of transportation.

As a former engineer at Lear Jet, I can't remember ever seeing anyone try to finger pick one of their business jets.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty View Post
I also enjoy slide rules, typewriters, film cameras, and quality darkroom enlargers. I still have some of those items around but never use them anymore despite a longing for the joy they once provided.
Even if these sentences weren't in this thread, they would be great lines.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber