The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 AM

it was a rampant problem with the ones i saw and owned. they would duck it any way possible when challenged at customer service. was very disenchanted with them. unsurprised when they went under.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Larry,

Your input is hugely valuable. And again, those of you that are interested in improving the Composite Acoustic products, let your voice be heard! The tech told me that the owner is a great guy, understands the consumer, and even though the travel guitar is a small market, they want to make it right.

So email peavey at: [email protected]

Be part of the change!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 11-26-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Be part of the change!
You played a few CA's. Did you find them unplayable or otherwise in need of change?

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 11-26-2010, 05:10 PM

I own a Cargo RT with electronics and previously had a Cargo RT with no electronics. I've had no issues with either guitar.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Having factory-made guitars leave the factory with noticeable intonation problems is not unique to CA - the first Tacoma Papooses that hit the market had the saddle slot too far forward, with the intonation problems you'd expect, and even the worthiest of guitar companies, C.F. Martin & Co., made some guitars with bridge slots that got routed in the wrong spot during the early 1970's.

The difference is that Tacoma Guitars and Martin Guitars corrected the problem once they were made aware of it, and that doesn't appear to be the case with the Composite Acoustic company.

It might well have been that, as a company, CA wasn't profitable yet, and that the cost of correcting the problem would have been more expensive to fix than they could afford. I've got no idea of exactly what the tooling costs would be to make major changes in a carbon fiber instrument design, but what experience I do have with guitar factories indicates that any tooling change at a commercial production level is extremely expensive.

And maybe when the material being used is carbon fiber rather than wood, the tooling costs are that much more expensive still...

So to me it seems likely that the company was unresponsive to making the needed changes because they were having enough trouble as it was making payroll and keeping the power turned on...

Just a guess, but an educated guess.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Having factory-made guitars leave the factory with noticeable intonation problems is not unique to CA
This is the first I've ever heard of intonation problems with CA. Has it been your experience that they've suffered from such a problem?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
This is the first I've ever heard of intonation problems with CA. Has it been your experience that they've suffered from such a problem?
When the neck geometry and saddle placement are off, it affects the intonation as well as the playability. There have been enough posts by enough well-regarded players in this thread alone to give credence to the complaints.

The main point I'm trying to get across is that making changes to the tooling in a factory setting is extremely expensive. We already know that CA didn't make it as a profitable business, since they shut down their factory and went dark. So it's my reasoned guess that, even though they were made aware of the problems with these instruments by knowledgeable folks like Larry Pattis and others, the company lacked the financial resources to correct them.

Just a guess, but it does make sense given the circumstances.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
When the neck geometry and saddle placement are off, it affects the intonation as well as the playability. There have been enough posts by enough well-regarded players in this thread alone to give credence to the complaints.
Mr Pattis has been lobbying long and hard for very specific features. AFAIK, intonation wasn't the issue he was concerned about -- it was adjustability.

The infamous issue with CA is that the saddle can only be lowered so far. Players seeking a low action may have to bring the saddle down lower than they feel comfortable with.

Personally, I found the neck angle fine. I found the string height from the top fine. I found the tone and playability fine. I found the intonation fine. But, I do think their bridge design can cause the infamous low-saddle issue if one wants low action.

It'll be interesting to see what they actually change in production.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Okay, Übernoober, I'm guilty of a superficial reading of the posts in this thread.

My main points stand: sometimes guitars leave guitar factories with some major problems, and correcting those problems in a production setting can be quite expensive. There's really no disputing either of those assertions.

Now, the conclusion I've drawn - that CA was having financial difficulties and couldn't afford to correct the problems that people besides Larry Pattis have found - is speculative. As I already stated in both of my posts in this thread before, it's a guess, but an educated guess.

Personally, I think it's likely. But we're probably never going to find out for certain one way or the other.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-26-2010, 06:09 PM

I appreciate your insights, Wade. I do like the guitars, and I find such speculation to be less than helpful to current owners.

FWIW, there have been many threads on this issue, and it was sometimes heated. From my understanding, it would have been fairly easy to change the neck angle if CA wanted to. Now that someone else is making the calls, it'll be interesting to see what changes.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:27 PM

I think the issues Larry was having was with the Cargo which really was their least expensive travel guitar. I have one of their top of the line Legacies and the neck angle was perfect, I have lowered the action on the saddle to 4/64's on the Low E and still had 1/8 inch on the saddle. Neck relief was .007. I just don't think they had issues with all their guitars. But I can only judge by what I have played.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-26-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I think the issues Larry was having was with the Cargo which really was their least expensive travel guitar. I have one of their top of the line Legacies and the neck angle was perfect, I have lowered the action on the saddle to 4/64's on the Low E and still had 1/8 inch on the saddle. Neck relief was .007. I just don't think they had issues with all their guitars. But I can only judge by what I have played.
Uh oh. I fear this may end up becoming another one of those threads.

I have both an OX and a Cargo. I like a very low action for fingerstyle. I'd say that I had to bring my saddle down for both models a bit lower than I would have to for wood guitars.

One could argue that it's less of an issue with the Cargo since the scale is so short. It's easy to tolerate a slightly higher action if that's the way you want to leave it.

One could also argue that traditional saddle-height metrics don't necessarily apply to carbon fiber tops.

Anyway, on with the speculation!

Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I'm a CA owner who will testify that of the many instruments I looked at, only a couple had reasonable neck angle/saddle height geometry. I enjoyed mine so much that I looked avidly for a second one and was unable to find the model I preferred with reasonable geometry.

Fran
That was close to my experience. I have purchased 3 CAs, but sent the first two back due to too low a neck angle. The third was a keeper - but that's a pretty terrible defect rate!

Of course there have been many reports here about how terrible the neck angle can be on brand new Martins and Taylors too. I just would have hoped that building a guitar with completely synthetic raw materials would lead to a more reproducible product. Clearly the CA manufacturing process was not exactly Six Sigma.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Ah, here we go!

The OP's rumor implies that Peavey is making design changes, not QA changes. So current owners apparently suffer with both poor quality and poor designs.

Hmm, I'm starting to think I should throw away my pre-Peavey CA, and I haven't even seen the new ones yet.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
So it's my reasoned guess that, even though they were made aware of the problems with these instruments by knowledgeable folks like Larry Pattis and others..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
My only experience with the CA product was in the Cargo world.
Mr Pattis has experience only with CA's cheapest and most purpose built instrument yet he is the most vocal critic of CA on this forum. Where can I read about issues on full size CA's by reputable people?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber