The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
I'll admit that I prefer the old name, but I don't think the name change has much to do with all of the YouTube videos that we're seeing lately. Dig back thru this forum to April and May and you'll find that, even back then (prior to the name change), a high percentage of the AGFer Performance topics contained links to YouTube videos.

YouTube is a popular way for people to share their performances with others. HD Camcorders are dropping in price and becoming smaller in size and more user friendly and more and more still cameras are being released with "decent" video recording capabilities. Even our cellphones are capable of recording watchable videos (tho the audio leaves a bit to be desired). I think we're only going to see the percentage of videos increase...

I'm sorry that you're on dialup and aren't able to enjoy these videos like the rest of us but I'm afraid that you're in the minority. I hope you're able to upgrade to something faster before too long.

Plus 1......... thoughtful response .

Last edited by 66strummer; 01-20-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHB View Post
Do you shake your fist as you scream and curse at all those noisy motorized carriages zipping along the road, as you ride your horse and buggy to the antique shop?

Check this out:

https://www.dslextreme.com/
I know this is a serious topic but Tom's comment is pretty danged hilarious. I literally laughed out loud.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 PM

This is similar to the thread a while back regarding covers and youtube... here are my thoughts ( I did hear you ask didnt I lol)

This is my favorite sub-forum by far. In fact, it is the main reason I came back after having been gone for about a year. One can only take so many discussions of bone vs tusq, which smells better, rosewood or mahogony, yet another alphabetical conversation, blah blah blah.. ( I think rosewood smells better btw lol)

Within this forum, I prefer videos over soundclick recordings, or anything else. And, I dont care if it is a web-cam recording of somebody in their bedroom or a professional broadcast video... I like to watch people play. I like putting faces and personalities with a username. Plus, a budding new hobby is videography and I like gathering ideas... (I love Fran's stuff for that)

I prefer songs with vocals over intrumentals. I LIKE covers dangit! lol.. I like seeing/hearing how others interpret something, or I may be introduced to something I never would have discovered otherwise. For example, someone posted a cover of "collide" the other day. I'd never heard of the artist or the song, and would have never sought it out on my own, But since one of the "family" posted it, I checked it out... and liked it!

If I watch something or listen to something, I will usually try to leave a comment of some sort. I just feel like that is respectful, if the person took the time to post it, and I took the time to listen, then the least I can do is take a few more seconds to say SOMETHING. I usually dont feel knowlegable enough to give any specific advice on the playing/recording/ e-qing etc, but I can say if I liked it, great sound, poor lighting, great angle, etc.. I am speaking of recordings or videos that I have gotten to by a link from here at AGF. I usually dont leave comments from ones that I have viewed on my own so to speak. Unless I happen to know the poster is a forum member, I reserve comments for AGFers or as I like to think of them, "family"

I dont care if I get comments on my stuff. I know my playing and singing are average at best. Comments are not the reason I post. I post because it is fun as heck to do, plus it gives me an excuse to aquire more gear! lol... It is kind of funny to have hundreds of views and only one or two comments, but I dont keep any kind of score.

I know some folks dont like the name change and decry the proliferation of youtube videos, but I dont understand what part of a youtube video doesnt entail the performance and recording of the old "performance recording and writing" heading..

But, hey, that is why we have different sub-forums. Everyone has their thing that interest them. For example, I like the creation of the custom build forum. I have no interest in that, I will never play well enough or have desearning enough ears or fingertips to justify one. Now I can essentially "weed" those posts out.

Dang.. I wrote a novel! lol. What I meant to say is: I like this sub-forum!

Last edited by CCreyeder; 01-20-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCreyeder View Post
I dont care if I get comments on my stuff. I know my playing and singing are average at best. Comments are not the reason I post. I post because it is fun as heck to do, plus it gives me an excuse to acquire more gear! lol...
I have to ditto that! Yes, I like it when someone actually listens close enough to give me feedback, but I don't post it expecting anything in particular. I, too, am average at best, and I have no delusions of "making" it in music at my age...that ship sailed long ago! However, it is fun to see/hear what I can create with the technology that is available today. So, I write, perform and record because it is fun to do so, and I share it because I know there are others who are having fun doing the same thing!!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
I have to ditto that! Yes, I like it when someone actually listens close enough to give me feedback, but I don't post it expecting anything in particular. I, too, am average at best, and I have no delusions of "making" it in music at my age...that ship sailed long ago! However, it is fun to see/hear what I can create with the technology that is available today. So, I write, perform and record because it is fun to do so, and I share it because I know there are others who are having fun doing the same thing!!
Definitely this ^^^^^..... and what CCreyeder said.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 PM

I can understand why some folks wish this subforum was different. Personally, I enjoy links to youtube or soundclick, vocals or instrumentals, covers or originals. I really don't have any preferences, I typically just enjoy the music and go with the flow. Sometimes I make comments, sometimes I dont know what to say.

I will say that this is the only forum (music related or not) that I have continued to be a part of. At some point, I frequented the AVS forum, The Bimmerforum, The Gear Page, Birds and Moons and a host of others. I haven't visited any of them in years.

The AGF I visit at least daily.

Last edited by Sage97; 01-20-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I can understand why some folks wish this subforum was different. Personally, I enjoy links to youtube or soundclick, vocals or instrumentals, covers or originals. I really don't have any preferences, I typically just enjoy the music and go with the flow. Sometimes I make comments, sometimes I dont know what to say.

Ditto on those thoughts........
Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 AM

hi folks.
i just joined yesterday, and my motivation to join was to post a couple of tunes.
before getting to and reading this thread, i most definitely started to listen to some other members songs.
i have a fast enough connection for you tube, but my danged old computer runs at 100% capacity so easily, that hq versions often jump.
i like instrumentals mostly.
well, i'm still trying to remember what song the bassline in thin crust's first of three new tunes reminds me of.
sadly, i do get jumps watching and listening to his videos, but that's my loss.
i just want to say that i do feel like i should listen before just posting and trying to get strokes for my tunes.
it takes me forever to finish anything, and i "should" probably be working harder on my newer piece instead of resting on my private laurels with what i have managed to record so far.
so i agree with the sentiment that is is good to join in the conversation by listening and not being a drive by.
i guess i'd say i don't agree with objecting to the content someone wants to post here.
from reading this thread, it seems that there are folks that like all the different things.
i am drawn to originals for the most part.
wes.

edit to add. i just listened to the first of the vids by performing chimp.
please don't stop posting youtubes if they are going to be this good.

Last edited by wesley earl; 01-21-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM

I think this is a VERY important and valuable sub-forum of this board. If fact I wish it was more popular...Like many guitar forums the focus here often difts toward the object...ie the guitar...and not the music...which to me should be the focus. A guitar is just an assemblage of wood until a musician (of what ever level) brings it to life.

I can't say I listen to every posted tune but I make an effort to.

Cheers,

Blue

Larrivee OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Silvercreek T-170
Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM

I love areas of forums like this. If for no other reason, it gives me a baseline as to how to evaluate people's other postings, comments and opinions. If someone is a really good picker, I am going to give anything they say relating to playing and guitar handling, generally, much more value than a hack who comes on and tells people how things should be done. You've all heard the type.

Once or twice, it's been very nice to say "put up or shut up" and point them to this part of a forum.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley-do-rite View Post
I think that you are correct sir. Most people like myself don't comment on the posted music in this section. I don't feel that I know enough about recording to give any valuable input in this area.
Well, if you do really like something, why not let the poster know about it ? I'm sure he or she would feel good about it. It doesn't take much to type, 'good job' or nicely done'.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
you know these kind of threads shows up in here about 4 or 5 times a year and sometimes it turns into a gripe session which is fine I guess cause it's a free country and as long as we all obey the rules of the forum we're okay, but I'm not sure I understand why folks would want to push folks to comment about their music. I know for me If I like something I'll comment if I don't I won't say anything cause I was always taught "If you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all"..........I just don't see the point in pressuring folks to post about a song someone else posted.........
I don't see your point...
Seriously, though, to have this 'show & tell' section just for posting one's own musical efforts without any interaction seems, at least for me, a waste of time. Considering all the wonderful talents around here, I would love to see more feedback, encouragement, advise, etc.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
I don't see your point...
Seriously, though, to have this 'show & tell' section just for posting one's own musical efforts without any interaction seems, at least for me, a waste of time. Considering all the wonderful talents around here, I would love to see more feedback, encouragement, advise, etc.

Yes....... So would I. Here's the thing. The majority of those who have responded to this thread are actually the ones who likely already comment regularly. My original comments may have seemed like I'm nitpicking this section but my hope is that some of the "post and leave" crowd might try to interact more. It's a share and share alike deal the way I see it. Should I post 5 new songs (I'm exaggerating of course ) and ask for comments, but not take the time to listen to what others are sharing? To me that's annoying and maybe even a little selfish. Food for thought anyways, for better or worse.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Perhaps, a better title for this sub-forum would be 'Show but don't Tell'.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 PM

66, those are great points and I agree.

I do wish that there was more constructive criticism on the posts. No offense to those who said it, but the whole "if you don't have something nice to say, don't way anything at all" doesn't help anyone improve.

I personally (once I start posting), would love to hear what could be improved on my recordings (none posted yet - stay tuned! LOL).

Anyway, I've responded to some posts and will do more of it. This is potentially the best part of the forum.
2101 Voyage Air VAD-06 Travel Dread
Danelectro '64
Kala ASAC-T Solid Acacia Ukulele
'81 Peavey T-40 bass

... and my baby - Bruce Johnson hand made AUB-2 Ampeg Scroll fretless bass - #30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell