The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Default H2 recorded volume Q?

After a year I finally sat down to record some of my arrangements!
I need a little help.
I recorded a song and here's a few things that happened.
As I listened to the playback on the H2 it sounded plenty loud but bass heavy but when I imported it into Audacity the volume was too low overall but the balance of bass/mid/trebles were pretty good. Why is that?

Then I used the "amplify" effect and though that did effectively bring the volume up it introduced hiss that wasn't there to start with.

Thanks for any help!

Psalm 150:4 Praise Him with tambourine and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordee View Post
After a year I finally sat down to record some of my arrangements!
I need a little help.
I recorded a song and here's a few things that happened.
As I listened to the playback on the H2 it sounded plenty loud but bass heavy but when I imported it into Audacity the volume was too low overall but the balance of bass/mid/trebles were pretty good. Why is that?
Then I used the "amplify" effect and though that did effectively bring the volume up it introduced hiss that wasn't there to start with.
Hi gordy…
Some stuff I've discovered over the years...
  • Never just listen to playback on only one source-and headphones on an H2 are not a good test of whether the levels are good - take a look at them in software editing program...this will indicate whether they were recorded near the proper levels...
  • Always save a copy of the original so you can import it again and edit anew...
  • Perhaps use a different tool to raise the level other than ''Amplify'' or record the original a bit hotter next time...
  • I've not seen Audacity introduce something that isn't there, but it's possible it did...
  • What resolution did you record at? That could affect both volume and tone (hiss)...

Keep us posted as you work through the issues...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Never just listen to playback on only one source-and headphones on an H2 are not a good test of whether the levels are good - take a look at them in software editing program...this will indicate whether they were recorded near the proper levels...
I was watching the levels on the H2 but had the earbuds in too. Through the earbuds it was very bass heavy but had good balance once it was in Audacity-lesson learned.

Quote:
Always save a copy of the original so you can import it again and edit anew..
I have the original. I'm going to import it again today and see what happens. If I can figure out how to post an MP3 I'll put it up for critique.

Quote:
Perhaps use a different tool to raise the level other than ''Amplify'' or record the original a bit hotter next time...
Any suggestions?

Quote:
I've not seen Audacity introduce something that isn't there, but it's possible it did...
Could the hiss be in the speakers? They are really cheap computer speakers.

Quote:
What resolution did you record at? That could affect both volume and tone (hiss)...
I recorded it as a wav file @ 44.1/16

Thanks for the tips Larry.

Psalm 150:4 Praise Him with tambourine and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Recording at 44.1/16 bit WAV is a good idea. The "normalize" function is your friend here. It will raise the overall volume of your recording so that the loudest passage is as loud as possible in a digital recording (pure "1's"). The normalize function in the Zoom works great, but the one is Audacity works just as well.
Regarding tonal balance, the best idea is to experiment with mic position. You can do a little bit of downstream EQ, but it never seems to be quite as good as if the mic were well placed at the beginning.
It's hard to beat a good set of nearfield monitors, but a nice set of headphones will beat crappy computer speakers. The earbuds that came with the Zoom are not nice headphones.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Also, regarding the hiss- I have heard almost none with my H2, but my recording levels are pretty well set to begin with. If you have to raise the level of the recording a lot to make it listenable, I can see how that would make hiss more audible. It's also possible that you recorded some background noise that you weren't aware of at the time of recording. I have noticed that I get a little more noise when using the AC adapter than just using batteries.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 AM

I've found hiss to be noticeable with my H2 (after normalisation), but then I play fingerstyle with the pads of my fingers so I'm not generating a lot of sound to start with.

Positioning helps - the closer you get the H2 to the guitar then the better the signal / noise ratio will be, though, as with any other microphone, this will affect tone as well.

If you are recording a quiet source then you might consider switching to 24 bit rather than 16 bit, just to get better resolution.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Lots of great tips. Thanks.
Quote:
The "normalize" function is your friend
I'll give that a try.

Quote:
I have noticed that I get a little more noise when using the AC adapter than just using batteries.
The batteries were dead so I did use the adapter.

Quote:
Positioning helps - the closer you get the H2 to the guitar then the better the signal
I think I may have been too far away trying to compensate for the bass I was hearing through the earbuds. I should have been closer and working on the mic placement more.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordee View Post
...I think I may have been too far away trying to compensate for the bass I was hearing through the earbuds.
Hi gordee…
The trick with cardioid mics is always to be close enough to capture good detail, without being so close that you engage the proximity effect (which pumps up the undesirable parts of the lows).

My ''default'' point-n-shoot position for recording solo guitar with the Zooms (both H2 & H4) is mounted on a camera tripod about 12-14'' straight out from the neck/body joint aimed right at the joint (not back at the body). It tends to give me a good balance tonally of the instrument.

I have put the unit on the tail-end of the instrument same distance straight out from a couple inches south of the bridge, but this tends to be bassier (did it because the person had really squeaky strings which it only helped marginally).

For vocal and guitar, I've had best results like this...

The recording of that session is here:
Greg's song on H4 - click

The picture was snapped before he put the capo on, and notice the leg of the tripod is between his feet, and his left knee is nearly touching the leg of the tripod...though far enough away he could move without hitting it. It was done with the H4, but I've recorded this way numerous times with both H2 & H4 with great results. I aim the mics about halfway between the chin and the top edge of the guitar. If I need more vocal I aim ''up'' or more guitar I aim ''down''...just a little.

It was on default internal settings, High on the input, 44.1/16 wav, and edited in Amadeus Pro for levels and to add the small amount of reverb. This is our living room where I do most of my recording these days.

This was a song he wrote for his daughter's wedding which he knew he would never be able to make it through at the wedding. One take and burned to CD...he thought we were recording the scratch track.

I'm really so pleased with the results I get with these little units...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
*mahoganut*

I hope adding a relevant question won't detract. I'm trying to sort out changing recording levels on L/R on my H4n - that is, recording L higher than R; or track 1 higher than track 2. Seems that's possible on 4ch or MTR mode but seems it SHOULD be possible on 2ch (Stereo).

Reading the manual (lots of words but lots of funny context and order, etc.) it seems to be possible in 4ch or MTR but by using several steps rather than just set and forget.

I think this is related closely to gordee's original question - if not sorry for the derail.

rr/Phil
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Okay. I imported it to Audacity and used the "normalize" function.
It seemed to work pretty well and I don't hear any hiss.
I "trimmed" it up and didn't add any other effects.

I started a new thread-"It Is Well" fingerstyle arrangement http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=175703
It's my arrangement of the hymn "It Is Well" played on a Charis GC

I'd love to hear your critiques on the recording as well as the arrangement. Thanks for all of the help. You've all been great.

Last edited by gordee; 02-02-2010 at 11:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell