The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 09:41 AM

If you like Sci-Fi, “Maniac” is pretty good. Just beware there is some sexually deviant stuff in this. As I have previously stated, Netflix Productions seem compelled to insert some form of degradation into just about everything they do.
I find it unnecessary and distasteful.

We are currently watching “Unbelievable” on Netflix, a detective drama eight episode series based on a true story about a rape. It stars Toni Colette who is cast as one of the detectives and she is as always, superb.
The audience reviews on this are among the highest I have ever seen and with good reason. It’s well-done and the acting is very good.

Now the bad news. Netflix has a “hidden agenda” in this production that is pretty obvious from the get go. It’s a blatant attack on males and how they are characterized.
There are no “legitimate” men with of character in this one...none. All of the males are either evil, bland or just plain incapable.
The women on the other hand are portrayed as “victims” of our culture except for the detectives who are a “super fem” species.
If that kind of slant gets your blood boiling, don’t watch.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 11-26-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:16 AM

Just finished Haven on Netflix. First season was just ok, but it got much better after that. Somebody feed Phil series, we like. Now started Queen's Gambit, I like it.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:55 AM

I'm watching a lot of stand-up comedy. Movies with the family are a negotiated thing. Last night I watched Nate Bargatze's "Full Time Magic," the new Sam Morril stand-up special "Up on the Roof" and Gary Gulman's "In This Economy." All were quite good, though I think Gulman's just masterful. I go back to a few favorite comedians and rewatch their specials-- Gulman, Bargatze, Pete Holmes, Michael Che, Chappelle, Maria Bamford, Jen Kirkman, Sarah Silverman, Maron, Hannibal Burress, and the king, Eddie Pepitone.

TV Shows:
Letterkenny on Hulu. Sometimes pretty crass, but man, can they be funny.
Norsemen on Netflix. Same. The fact that it's really crude might turn you off on a really innovative show.
How To with John Wilson on HBO. Super-creative, oddball, thought-provoking documentary.
Great British Baking Show on Netflix. Never in my life would I have imagined liking a reality baking show-- and honestly, without the pandemic I'd have never tried it- but omg. Love it. The accompanying Masterclass with Paul and Mary is also superb.

Been watching a few movies each week, too
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 11-28-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Just finished Haven on Netflix. First season was just ok, but it got much better after that. Somebody feed Phil series, we like. Now started Queen's Gambit, I like it.
I've only watched part of Haven's first season. I really wanted to get into it because I like the premise of the show but I never did. The show was ok but not great. Glad to hear that it gets better - I might give it another chance.

Haven is filmed in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia (not Maine, where the show is based). It's a beautiful place. I've been there many times.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How was Mr. Mercedes? I read the trilogy a couple years ago and enjoyed it. What network is that on?
I think I liked the show more than the books.
Not sure, been a few years on the books.
We watched it on Peacock.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 PM

My wife and I are halfway through the Crown. The change of cast has been jarring. As much as I love the series I am finding it hard to see past the actors. There is a stark contrast in how many of the characters are portrayed as well.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:18 PM
Eric Skye

About two thirds into the latest season of The Crown and loving it
Old 11-28-2020, 10:18 PM
Dan - Charter Member

We recently finished "Le Bureau" (sometimes listed as the "The Bureau"): French spy series, multi-season. Really, really, excellent. It's on Sundance Now; we subscribed for a month or two. In French (and English and Arabic and Farsi and ...) with English subtitles.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Dan - Charter Member

And here's a long list based on some emails with friends. We have seen all of these over the years (repeating Le Bureau for completeness):

Foyle's War
- Mysteries set in WW II England. Really interesting historically. Top-notch acting.
Last Tango in Halifax (we just saw the latest season)
- very well done story of older man and woman who rekindle old love, and their surrounding family
Scott & Bailey (British police show)
- Two women detectives - great suspect interviewing skills, very well done
Le Bureau
- French spy series, excellent
Call the Midwife
- Wonderful poignant story of midwives in a poor section of London - many seasons
Inspector Morse, Lewis, Endeavour
- More murder mysteries. Related protaganists between series.
Vera
- Murder mysteries set in NE England. Vera is a middle-aged detective. Quite psychological.
The Bletchley Circle
- Women cryptographers in WW II solve mysteries in 1950's. Excellent acting; some plot holes.
- (subsequent series set in San Francisco is terrible)
Sherlock Holmes
- The series with Jeremy Brett playing Holmes. Really excellent.
Upstairs, Downstairs
- The original 1970's series. Really hits its stride around the third season. A few clunker episodes.
From Lark Rise to Candleford
- Rural and small town England around the turn of the 20th century. Main character is town postmistress. Funny and poignant.
The Barchester Chronicles
- Anthony Trollope novels adapted for TV. "Witty and gently satirical" (says a description).
- Includes a young Alan Rickman as a conniving clergyman.
Gentleman Jack (based on historical character Anne Lister)
Derry Girls (silly but can be hilarious)
- teenagers in Northern Ireland
Lost in Austen (contemporary person enters Pride & Prejudice world)
Harriet (movie)
- Harriet Tubman
The Plot Against America
- Philip Roth novel
Panchayat (Indian comedy, set in rural area: low key)
Cranford
Broadchurch
- Excellent psychological British police drama
Shetland
- Another UK police show, set in the Shetland Islands. Good plots, gorgeous scenery
Poldark
- Historical drama set in Cornwall
Grantchester
- More English murder mysteries - final series is not as good. Protagonist's romantic frustrations are annoying.
Wallander
- Detective. Two versions: British (we saw), and original Swedish
- There's a whole (small) genre called "Nordic Noir", of which is this one example.

Pretty much any British Jane Austen adaptations (film or TV)
- I am quite fond of the 1980's Pride and Prejudice adaptation. It's slower moving and more faithful than the movies.

Netflix series I list with some mixed feelings:
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Hilarious (especially Tony Shaloub), though the plot lines sometimes seem a bit pointless
The Man in the High Castle
- Absorbing alternate history: some sadistic characters. Ultimately too long.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
About two thirds into the latest season of The Crown and loving it
Newest season has created a little controversy down here in Australia - the series follows Charles and Diana's 1983 tour of Australia and scenes supposedly shot here are actually (and very obviously) filmed in Spain and dialogue from our Prime Minister at the time has been totally fabricated with absolutely no attempt at accuracy for the sake of injecting some 'drama' that wasn't really there.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-29-2020, 08:41 AM

I notice there are two shows titled “Maniac” on Netflix... Which one?

I just finished re-watching the 3rd season of “Westworld”, where they went all cyberpunk. Can’t wait to see what they do with the next season.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:30 PM

Just watched “Hillbilly Elegy.” on Netflix.
It has a good cast and features Glen Close, Amy Adams and is directed by
Ron Howard.
The acting is mostly very good, but unfortunately IMHO, this is not one of Ron Howard’s better efforts as a director. This is too bad because the story could have been told so much better. It has the ingredients but it seems like Ron was just a tad off on developing the story.
It’s a decent watch though so I’ll give it three stars just for the acting.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-29-2020, 03:37 PM

The sunset here.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 AM

I’m halfway through the long awaited third season of Cosmos: Possible Worlds with Neil deGrasse Tyson (based on Carl Sagan’s Cosmos series). It’s spectacular — you can find it on Hulu.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:28 AM

I just finished watching Fargo Season 4 on Hulu earlier this week. As with the previous three seasons I found season 4 compelling, with the usual assortment of quirky characters, violence, irony and unexpected twists we've come to expect in all the previous Fargo seasons. Also unexpected was that this was actually the prequel to season 2. If you're a fan of the Cohen brothers I highly recommend season 4, and if you enjoyed season 2 this is must viewing.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic