The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 03:17 PM

Laminated wood guitars are very durable. I have my original from 1976 that I admit I did not take very good care of and it still looks good, sounds OK, and has no cracks.

Carbon fiber guitars are not heavy, at least the ones I played, sound better then my 1976 laminated guitar and are durable as all get out. Perfect for leaving them wherever you want whenever you want or using for a canoe paddle in a pinch, no problem.

Can we move on now. There is room for both opinions. The OP doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a guitar made from CF, many of us do. He is happy, we are happy.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Laminated wood guitars are very durable. I have my original from 1976 that I admit I did not take very good care of and it still looks good, sounds OK, and has no cracks.

Carbon fiber guitars are not heavy, at least the ones I played, sound better then my 1976 laminated guitar and are durable as all get out. Perfect for leaving them wherever you want whenever you want or using for a canoe paddle in a pinch, no problem.

Can we move on now. There is room for both opinions. The OP doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a guitar made from CF, many of us do. He is happy, we are happy.

I bought 3 high end guitars this year. 2 custom shop Gibson and a Furch.

If they all implode in the next 5 years I'll switch to carbon fiber.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

I think the real test would be, take the three high end guitars you just bought, and a nice carbon one. Put them all in the boot of your car and close it. Five years from now, open the boot, get them out and see which one you want to play.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I think the real test would be, take the three high end guitars you just bought, and a nice carbon one. Put them all in the boot of your car and close it. Five years from now, open the boot, get them out and see which one you want to play.
A quicker test: Put them in front of your car and drive over them. Then see which one you can still play.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticchiq View Post

OK, you've got yourself a deal. But you'll have to treat them the same way we do with our composite guitars. Do not put them in their cases, unless during transport, and keep them in a room without any (de)humidifiers.

Please report back in 5 years. I am genuinely curious to hear what happens.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-23-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
A quicker test: Put them in front of your car and drive over them. Then see which one you can still play.

Well, now we know that even ukuleles can definitely "open up". This is an illustrious end to any possible controversy.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-23-2024, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Oh come on .

Personally not having any interest in a carbon fiber guitar is totally valid and needs no false claims for justification.
I myself do not have any interest in a Carbon Fiber guitar. But I understand the reasoning and logic and do not think they are "gimmick"

Staking your position on imaginary claims (*) about the reasoning behind the rational for Carbon Fiber, is not valid discussion .

(*) Absolutely no one suggested "
Quote:
"all these people are getting the idea that a regular guitar touches air that's not 70 degrees and implodes.
The concept that Carbon Fiber reacts far less to humidity and temperature changes than wood fiber is irrefutable scientific fact, and is based in a solid factual connection to reality . BUT that fact, in no way suggests that wood guitars (especially laminate wood guitars ) cannot also survive some amount temp and humidity change with no issues . Which again, no one has suggested.

Why not stick to what people have actually said instead of trying to reduce the discussion to un stated extremes ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-23-2024 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
OK, you've got yourself a deal. But you'll have to treat them the same way we do with our composite guitars. Do not put them in their cases, unless during transport, and keep them in a room without any (de)humidifiers.

Please report back in 5 years. I am genuinely curious to hear what happens.
I already do this. I don't buy humidipaks either. Having guitars in their cases is a waste of a guitar
Old 01-23-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Oh come on .

Personally not having any interest in a carbon fiber guitar is totally valid and needs no false claims for justification.
I myself do not have any interest in a Carbon Fiber guitar. But I understand the reasoning and logic and do not think they are "gimmick"

Staking your position on imaginary claims (*) about the reasoning behind the rational for Carbon Fiber, is not valid discussion .

(*) Absolutely no one suggested "

The concept that Carbon Fiber reacts far less to humidity and temperature changes than wood fiber is irrefutable scientific fact, and is based in a solid factual connection to reality . BUT that fact, in no way suggests that wood guitars (especially laminate wood guitars ) cannot also survive some amount temp and humidity change with no issues . Which again, no one has suggested.

Why not stick to what people have actually said instead of trying to reduce the discussion to un stated extremes ???
Unstated? That's what the entire marketing is based off of. The entire point of the thread. This is what klos is officially stating in their marketing. I'm taking official marketing material from klos
Old 01-23-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I already do this. I don't buy humidipaks either. Having guitars in their cases is a waste of a guitar
Okay, we get it. I have very nice carbon fiber guitars. I also have very nice wooden guitars. They all serve their purpose. Everyone cares for their guitars (or not) as they see fit.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-23-2024 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Please do not discuss mod action or inaction per rules
Old 01-23-2024, 12:04 PM

Dialogue has remained mostly civil but has run its course. Personally, I have added the OP to my "ignore users" list, accessible via the User CP button on the upper left. Until now, I have avoided "feeding the troll" as Methos suggested.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-23-2024 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Please do not discuss mod action or inaction
Old 01-23-2024, 12:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Personally, I don’t see the OP as trolling. I think his perspective is based on very limited exposure to composite instruments, generally uninformed, not recognizing how his comments appear as trolling, and is one who is hanging onto his misguided beliefs. Actually, somewhat akin to frequent comments going back to the days when the CF subforum was added to the AGF...lead by the old “plastic” guitars argument.

Thankfully, such perspectives have become rare, in large part I think, to the exposure this subforum has provided such that most wood guitar fans have come to accept composite guitars as another viable option to the tonal and playability palette, with quality brands as not inferior, just different...mostly in a good way. Certainly, the OP has a curiosity about CF guitars. In time, likely he will come to realize that even if he doesn’t care for them, he’ll accept their place among quality instruments.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Personally, I don’t see the OP as trolling...
I think it's akin to going onto the UMGF and stating that Martin guitars are overpriced, a waste of money and are purchased by headstock poseurs. I don't think that about Martins, but wanted to offer a comparison that would be off-outting to the host site...
Old 01-23-2024, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

OK, before this thread is closed, I will offer my opinion of CF guitars.

In short, they ruin the joy of playing guitar. Here are my reasons:

1. They leave little for small talk about various ways to humidify a guitar.
2. You don't get to retune often enough. If you put one of these babies into an open tuning, the darn thing stays in tune. What fun is that?
3. The whole idea of having to care for your baby is missing from the experience of ownership.

All in all, it seems to be a rather bleak experience, devoid of all the stuff guitar small talk is built upon.

So, why is it that I hypocritically own several of these things?

Simple. I prefer to play them.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-23-2024, 09:40 PM

Gimmicky is in the eye/ear/fingers of the beholder.

Other things some think a gimmick, that have great value to others:
-cutaways
-coated strings
-amplification
-altered tuning
etc...

I'm a fan of the idea of CF, though I haven't yet played the right one.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber