The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Hey Anton, next time you're down this way, maybe bring the ADK's and we can play around with them. I don't understand your noise and level issues.
Thanks Doug, that sounds good. I am overdue for a visit to the Bay Area.

I need to learn more about how to differentiate between pre amp noise, mic noise, and environmental noise. All I know is when I turn the pre on the Zoom anywhere past six I start to hear hiss, no matter which mic I use. I assumed that was pre amp noise. But I guess it could be room noise since I am feeding the mic more gain?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
But I guess it could be room noise since I am feeding the mic more gain?
Exactly, that's what I think you're hearing. We can play around with it.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Smile More High End Sparkle

Anton,

If you want to add more high end sparkle to your recordings, give Slate Digital's new "Revival" plugin a shot. Slate spent quite a bit of time developing this and it does a lot more than just EQ. It's fantastic and it's absolutely free. It has just two knobs, 'Shimmer' and 'Thickness'. You can check out the YouTube reviews of this plugin as well. I like it a lot. I think you need an iLok2 USB key to authorize it.
http://www.slatedigital.com/products/revival

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 12-13-2014, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Sedelsorey here on the forum also lives in Portland and was kind enough to lend me his KM 184's and Gefell M300's for a few days. I have mostly played with the KM 184's so far. Here is a level matched comparison with my ADK A6.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/se...84-vs-adk-a6-1

They are going straight into my Zoom H6. I've never had the chance to spend extended time with nice mics like these, so this is alot of fun. Ill try to record a full piece or two once I change my strings.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Anton, these tracks seem to be mono?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Yea I used one A6 and one 184 and put the capsules as close together as possible. I suppose since i have two of each on hand I could do a stereo comparison. I dont have four mic stands though, so we will see. More fun just playing with the pair of KM 184's.

Here is a bit of a longer clip if folks are interested. Ill record a few actual full length pieces this weekend. Here the mics are about 10 inches apart and a foot away.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...spacedpair.wav

One thing I noticed compared to my A6's is that they are noticeably quieter, especially during the fade out of a track. The 184's have 13db of self noise, the A6's 15db. Would that make an audible difference? Or maybe the small diaphragm of the 184 is less sensitive to environment noise?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Y Here the mics are about 10 inches apart and a foot away.

Is 10 inches what you have been doing? That track I sent you offline was 10 inches, but that was because I just had one mic stand setup and was try to do something fast. For spaced pairs, I'd go 15-20 inches, or just do the typical 12th fret/below the bridge thing. You can point the mics at that location, but be even further apart, with the mics aimed in. That's probably closer to 30+ inches. If that doesn't give you a wide image, something else is going on.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Just the most recent track I sent. I wanted to mimic you setup with the KM 184's and Zoom H6. Ill try the wider and farther setup, probably tonight, and post something.

Through an ABX tester I can get 100% comparing the ADK's to the 184's. The former just have a bit more noise in the track that is easy to listen for. However with Fran's Schoeps to CAD M179 comparison I cannot tell a difference.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2014/...es-a-mic-make/

I guess this thread has morphed into how to get me the best recorded sound at home..
Old 12-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

OK, well this is wider, I think. I'd consider it about the same as ORTF, a little wider than XY. Not too surprising for 10 inches. Still not as good a sound as you should be getting tho I 'mat a loss as to what to suggest.

Last edited by Doug Young; 12-13-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:45 PM

anton, you play so well, and doug is so experienced, that you really should go and visit.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Yea. I recorded my first cd at Doug's place. It was nice having someone else worry about mic setup and pushing buttons.

If you factor in all the time I have spent experimenting it would have been cheaper to practice up, go into a studio, and record another cd. I guess I enjoy the process of tinkering with mics and trying to get a good sound at home.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Yea. I recorded my first cd at Doug's place. It was nice having someone else worry about mic setup and pushing buttons.

If you factor in all the time I have spent experimenting it would have been cheaper to practice up, go into a studio, and record another cd. I guess I enjoy the process of tinkering with mics and trying to get a good sound at home.
nothing wrong with that, that is all good time. tinkering is good stuff. it's just that you have an expert tinkerer at your disposal. that is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 PM

I want to thank Doug Young for all he does to help others on this forum. I've learned so much from reading his posts as I'm sure others have as well.

Thank you Doug Young.

Thank you.

Jim McCarthy
Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Sdelsorey here on the forum was kind enough to lend me pair of KM 184's and Gefell M300's. Here is a sample of the Gefells going straight into my Zoom H6. First is the raw track then a mix by Doug Young.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/sets/gefell-m300-mics

Mics are in a spaced pair about 20" away and 24" apart. I'm pretty happy withe the result.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Deleted Post

Deleted Post

Last edited by alohachris; 12-23-2014 at 01:37 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD