The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Fixing the strap that keeps the lid of the case from flopping over

I have one of those Martin molded plastic guitar cases and the strap that keeps the lid from flopping all the way over has pulled out. Unlike my other cases, the strap is at the peghead end of the case, so it's fairly short and close to the hinge side of the case, so the pull on it must be much greater that the others where the anti-flop strap is longer and more toward the bottom.

Any suggestions on how to repair (and possibly improve) this?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:05 AM

I'd leave it detached.

Many guitars are damaged by case lids that slam shut under gravity onto the guitar while one is taking the guitar out of its case. If the lid is beyond vertical - preferably open 180 degrees - this can't happen to a guitar while removing it from or returning it to the case.

The other "law" is never leave a guitar in a case without one or more latches closed/engaged. That prevents forgetting that the case isn't latched and picking up the case and having the guitar fall out of the case onto the floor.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

The strap on the Hiscox Pro-ll OOO/OM case that my Brook came in was too short, and the lid was very reluctant to remain in the ‘open’ position. Having had a Martin guitar with a nasty ‘bite’ from a lid dropping down before the guitar was safely in the case, I decided to cut the strap in the Brook’s Hiscox case, so the lid opens fully 180-degrees.

I don’t miss the strap.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-29-2020, 06:12 PM

Default strap

It's best to leave it off.

Ron
Old 10-29-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Interesting...

I think the lids on all of my cases open far enough past 90° so that they don't fall closed. I'll probably jinx myself, but I don't think I've ever had one fall shut. Just lucky I guess.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:41 PM

Hey quickstep, I have the same type of case for my j40 and the strap pulled out on it as well. It happened while I was putting it away one day. Just slowly opened all the way. I fixed it with an aluminum rivet ... better than new. After fixing it I remembered my CA GX has the same type of plastic case and upon inspection I noticed it uses rivets to hold the straps. So that’s the proper way to do it imo. Apparently Martin gets their case strap glue from the same place they get their binding glue. Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:28 PM

hess's suggestion sounds like the smartest solution, provided the head of the pop rivet can never come in contact with the end of the peghead. I'd pin it so the lid lays back to 95° or so, that way it's less likely to come slamming down unexpectedly.

Alternately, if it's a nice guitar, I think I'd consider getting a nice case for it. It amazes me that Martin ships out a $3,000 guitar in an ABS case.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:01 PM

I can't find it, but there used to be a thread on this forum called "taming the tab." or "training the tab?" about this. Seems it went on for years.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hess View Post
Hey quickstep, I have the same type of case for my j40 and the strap pulled out on it as well. It happened while I was putting it away one day. Just slowly opened all the way. I fixed it with an aluminum rivet ... better than new. After fixing it I remembered my CA GX has the same type of plastic case and upon inspection I noticed it uses rivets to hold the straps. So that’s the proper way to do it imo. Apparently Martin gets their case strap glue from the same place they get their binding glue. Anyway, hope this helps.

WOW! Mine is a J-40 also!

Can you describe some more about how you did the rivet? There doesn't appear to be access behind the foam inside the case.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:33 PM

Here’s the steps:
1. Drilled a hole through the plastic just above the metal edge
2. Punched a hole in the strap so the top is a bit past vertical when open
3. Pulled back the foam with a couple screwdrivers or putty knife
4. Pushed the rivet through the plastic hole and the strap hole
5. Held the strap on the rivet with a finger or two that I wedged in between the foam and case
6. Used the rivet tool to set the rivet
7. Pushed the foam and lining back in place

I was going to use a washer after the strap but didn’t need it. Just make the hole in the strap as small as possible and use a big enough rivet.

Cool about yours being a j40 too. It’s a great guitar.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:40 PM

On some guitar cases with a broken strap, opening the lid 180 degrees puts a lot of stress on the hinges from the weight of the top levering against the back side of the case and the hinges. Better to fix it if you can.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hess View Post
Here’s the steps:
1. Drilled a hole through the plastic just above the metal edge
2. Punched a hole in the strap so the top is a bit past vertical when open
3. Pulled back the foam with a couple screwdrivers or putty knife
4. Pushed the rivet through the plastic hole and the strap hole
5. Held the strap on the rivet with a finger or two that I wedged in between the foam and case
6. Used the rivet tool to set the rivet
7. Pushed the foam and lining back in place

I was going to use a washer after the strap but didn’t need it. Just make the hole in the strap as small as possible and use a big enough rivet.

Cool about yours being a j40 too. It’s a great guitar.

This worked like a charm! Thanks so much!
Old 11-06-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'd leave it detached.

Many guitars are damaged by case lids that slam shut under gravity onto the guitar while one is taking the guitar out of its case. If the lid is beyond vertical - preferably open 180 degrees - this can't happen to a guitar while removing it from or returning it to the case.

The other "law" is never leave a guitar in a case without one or more latches closed/engaged. That prevents forgetting that the case isn't latched and picking up the case and having the guitar fall out of the case onto the floor.
I violated both rules. A Gibson Les Paul Custom had a lid drop on it, with a 3/4 inch chip to show. And worst, my Martin D16 fell out when I picked up an unlatched case. Multiple chips and gouges as the teeth of the top lid latches dug into the spruce top as the guitar slid out. At least the floor was carpeted so no farther damage when it hit the floor clear of the case.

I felt so sick both times.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:54 PM

The main reason that case hinges get damaged is the lack of this strap.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

It amazes me that Martin ships out a $3,000 guitar in an ABS case.

When I bought my used hd-28 the manager of the shop traded me his
nice geib Martin case for the plastic one my guitar came in ... when
he travels he throws whatever guitar he takes with him into his Calton
case. I was looking to buy a geib case (which they had several of on hand)
when I picked up the guitar, he showed them to me and then also offered
me the trade for his. It is nice to have a good guitar store run by cool
folks near by.

I was motivated to avoid the butt-ugly plastic case, but always figured the plastic
one was good quality and protective.

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair