The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-21-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Default CF solid body electric guitars?

Are there any companies currently building carbon fiber solid body electrics? A lot of the companies that tried their hand at carbon electrics seem to have gone out of business sadly.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-10-2021 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:41 PM

I know I've seen some, but they aren't particularly common or easy to find. The old Composite Acoustics (pre-Peavey) made a few. I know that there was carbon fiber in the Parker Fly models, but they had wood cores. There are a few carbon fiber electric guitar necks out there, too.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:43 PM

Default Klos

It looks like Klos guitars unveiled an electric and bass guitar at the recent NAMM show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkSaEeAbbYo
Old 10-21-2020, 05:19 PM

Some carbon fiber electrics are listed here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=559816

I think Vigier uses a carbon rod to stiffen necks in some of their dozens of models. That's mostly the extent of their carbon use.

They once had the "Passion III" model which had a full carbon fiber neck and head, but that's an outdated model not produced now. Still for sale on Reverb, eBay, and such. The updated version "IV" uses wood.

Not sure they ever had a carbon fiber bodied guitar.

Klos carbon electrics are not available yet.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:42 PM

I had, briefly, one of the CA electrics. I returned it immediately. It had the weight of an all solid Les Paul and a tiny thin body to cut into your leg.

Solid body electric guitars are already pretty robust. I think CF is not a good solution for that problem. Too expensive for too little added value.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-21-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I had, briefly, one of the CA electrics.
The "Blade"...was a thin one..I had proto #5 they sent me to photo and video....waaayyy back in the day.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-22-2020, 12:37 PM

synergyinstruments.com with video clips

Hollow body 15" x 12" x 2", scale 24.75", 4.5 lbs.

Made in Canada near Windsor/Detroit.

$900 US, $1200 CDN, 4-6 weeks delivery.

These are new to market mid October. They reponded promptly to questions.

Perhaps there'll be early adopter reports in December. Anyone?

Cheers.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Solid body electric guitars are already pretty robust. I think CF is not a good solution for that problem. Too expensive for too little added value.
This is always my thought too whenever this topic comes up. Why?? But I don't even play a wooden electric guitar, so what would I know?
Old 10-22-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
This is always my thought too whenever this topic comes up. Why?? But I don't even play a wooden electric guitar, so what would I know?

Why?

Telecasters weigh 7-8 pounds which is a lot to hang from your neck during long sessions. Hollow body CF electric guitars can be in 4 pound weight range same as acoustic guitars.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:51 PM
Guest 928

Emerald has built several thin bodied electrics along the line of the Synergy mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm not sure what my X7 electric weighs, but it's not a burden.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:22 PM

It's not cheap.

https://www.rubato.guitars/
Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Telecasters weigh 7-8 pounds which is a lot to hang from your neck during long sessions. Hollow body CF electric guitars can be in 4 pound weight range same as acoustic guitars.
OK, I stand corrected. I don't gig anymore, and never did with an electric guitar. The only electric that I own is a pretty decent Yamaha AES800 Les Paul copy, and that only because local CL sales have been slow. Technically I also have a Taylor T5 Classic but have never really used it as an electric either. [back to my corner now]
Old 10-22-2020, 06:28 PM

Telecasters made out of alder or swamp ash(i.e., most Telecasters)tend to run in 7-8 pound range. A Tele made out of Pawlonia(offered by Glendale Guitars or other small shops or boutique operations) can run from about 5.3-6 pounds. Pawlonia, however, is a soft wood that requires some delicacy to work with. Pawlonia and pine are both prone to dings. Chambered/semi hollow body Teles obviously weigh less.

Les Paul’s can easily run around 10 pounds on average.

My Warmoth(swamp ash) Tele is around 7 1/2 pounds and my Emerald Kestrel is 4.4 pounds.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I had, briefly, one of the CA electrics. I returned it immediately. It had the weight of an all solid Les Paul
My CA Blade weighs 6.3 lbs. My Strat was 8.2 lbs. I don't have a Les Paul on hand to weigh, but the ones I've played seemed much heavier than a Strat.

FWIW, the two things that stand out to me about the (carbon fiber) CA Blade are the light weight and great sustain. If I was in the market for a new electric, I'd seek out CF again for the weight advantage alone.

Last edited by ealmasy; 10-29-2020 at 05:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber