The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I sort of feel the same way as the OP. I guess if I had a TON of money I'd have a lot more guitars and not care that they didn't get played much. But while I've owned many guitars in a short period of time, it always between 2 and 4 and the ones that didn't get played because they weren't the favorites were quickly sold or traded off. I'm down to two and I don't see that changing.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Money saved is unused.
A person sleeping is unused.
A diary page written is unused.

What's wrong with a guitar being unused?
hey Tico, since you’ve already written the chorus, ya may as well lay down the rest of it ...

Old 09-23-2018, 01:01 PM

I'm late to this thread for sure but I thought I pipe in.

I just got back from visiting my brother in F. Lauderdale FL and while I was there we went to the Ferrari dealership (which is one of the largest in the country) - just lookin'.

Anyway, they had DOZENS of used Ferrari's (priced over $300k) with LESS THAN 2,000 miles on them. Four of them were 2 or 3 years old and about 400 miles on them ...... talk about why? No answers here.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
I've had my eyes open on classified ads from various sites...here, Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist, etc...

More often then not, I see 'hardly played", or "rarely taken out of its case" advertised.

WHY?

If the guitars are so awesome to sway the owner to purchase it, why isn't it played more often? Too many guitars? Afraid to damage it or create fret wear? Something wrong with the guitar? Tastes change?

What have been your experiences?
For me it's too many guitars or the feeling that something is "too nice to play" and I don't want to ding or dent it. Stupid, but true.

By my response to your thread title is that you don't have to get it. Don't worry about other people's things.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:39 PM

I've sold several guitars that -- despite seeing considerable playtime -- were still in excellent condition.

My guess is that anyone who fingerpicks, takes a beater to places where bad things can happen, is generally cautious, and simply takes good care of his/her guitars will have guitars that look relatively unplayed.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:55 PM

For me it was because I never really bonded with the guitar until much,much later. I purchased a new Larrivee C-10 in 1997 and it basically sat in its case until a year ago.

For several reasons I just didn't care for it. I wanted to sell it a hundred times but my wife always pleaded with me to hang on to it. She was with me when I bought it and always had a sentimental attachment to it,unlike me.

I would say from 1997 to last year I doubt it had 25 hours of playing time on it. For reasons I'm still not sure of I decided to give it another shot to see if I could finally bond with it and I am so glad I did! Whether it was the guitar,my ears,time,or whatever, everything finally clicked and it has become my go to guitar. I will never let this guitar get away from me.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I got beat up for a post like this once. I have bought numerous guitars that are almost new, hardly played and better than show room condition. Good for me. But I know that in less than a month I'll put ten times the wear on it if it's a decent guitar. If not it's sold. I play my guitars and it shows. I'm not going to change that as I like to play my guitars. I'm paying for them. There are people that take very good care of their guitars. Well, thanks. I felt the same way in the old days when I bought a used care with the interior coated with plastic seat covers. I'd buy the car and take the plastic off the seats and enjoy the "new" seats that the previous owner didn't.
Well you do seem to be saying the only way to enjoy or get the most out of a guitar is to play it in a manner where you ding it, scratch it, dent it, bang it, spill beer on it, etc. which could be setting yourself up for some push back .
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Well you do seem to be saying the only way to enjoy or get the most out of a guitar is to play it in a manner where you ding it, scratch it, dent it, bang it, spill beer on it, etc. which could be setting yourself up for some push back .
Some people can walk through a mud shower and not get touched. Others can sit in their easy chair and get smudged.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 AM

All my guitars were bought with the intention of being played. The one that comes to mind that never got played much was a Les Paul intended mostly for studio work. I ended up doing less studio work after I bought it. It was the most expensive thing I owned for a while, so I kept it mint for many years. Others are guitars that were once frequently played, but became much less so as I discovered other guitars.

As is often the case, most people aren't really good at predicting what they'll like and want to be doing years out. Many people end up buying many things that they end up never have time to give much attention to.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post

Anyway, they had DOZENS of used Ferrari's (priced over $300k) with LESS THAN 2,000 miles on them. Four of them were 2 or 3 years old and about 400 miles on them ...... talk about why? No answers here.
Many of those were likely leased, not bought. Very common with expensive cars. Lease is up, they return the car and move on to least the next new one, and the dealer sells it as used.

I rarely sell guitars, although I have some I haven't played in a while. But when I need that old Strat copy, or the classical nylon string, or a 12-string for a song, I've got it available.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post
I'm late to this thread for sure but I thought I pipe in.

I just got back from visiting my brother in F. Lauderdale FL and while I was there we went to the Ferrari dealership (which is one of the largest in the country) - just lookin'.

Some clips from Ferris Bueller's Day Off may also be appropriate here
Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 PM

Those of us that can not play, collect.
The reasoning is, Sooner or later I will find a guitar that gets it.
Until then I will continue to search and collect. It's part of the Hunter Gatherer gene.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion