The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 PM

Default No truss rod - D string buzz on 1st fret

I’ve got a National Style O from 1992, with no truss rod. Bought it used several years ago. Don’t play slide on it, just slack key and blues with a variety of alternate tunings.

Switched from Medium to Martin Medium Lights about a year ago to make things a bit easier on my hands at the time and out of a probably over-obsessed concern to take it easy on the neck itself given no truss rod and condition of guitar.

Probably about 2 months ago the D string started to buzz , and do so to the point that it is now a problem. I’ve figured out that it is a buzz on the first fret.

I have a feeling that if I put mediums back on all the strings, or maybe even just the D, the buzz would go away. Or I could use a piece of paper in the D nut slot.

Is there an easy way to tell if the fret is somehow lifting? Does’nt look like it but maybe there is an easy way to measure, such as with the thin edge of a credit card or rule placed on top of frets 1 - 4 or the like.

Thanks!

Curtis
Old 08-11-2018, 09:55 PM

Check it’s not your nut first, string guitar to pitch, place a capo between the second and third frets.

Take a piece of A4 paper and see if it slips between the string and first fret, loose = high nut, slight drag = perfecto, tight = nut slot too low.

Take a credit card and place it over three frets at a time and work up and down the fretboard on every string line and check for rocking, any fret that gives a rock effect mark it with a black texta, this is a high fret.

Once high frets have been identified, check the frets are seated fully, piece of paper along the edge of the fret is sufficient, if frets are seated, sand or file away your black texta marks.

Or having identified an issue, take it to a reputable luthier for repair.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-12-2018, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair