The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 07:23 AM

Default Hygrometer in Case - Getting It To Stick

I picked up a couple hygrometers to place in my guitar cases. They are round and have a magnet on the back, which will allow you to place the adhesive backed metal on a surface and the hygrometer will stick to it.

What is the best method to stick this to the inside of a fuzzy case? Taylor recommends placing it next to the heel. There is room in both cases at this location.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:58 AM

Use Velcro. Get a staple gun and staple the hook part of the Velcro to the upright end of the center pocket wall (right on top and over the fuzzy stuff), they are wood, then put the fuzzy half of the Velcro where the smooth area of the magnet is, and your good to go. Just be sure to make sure you sill have easy access to the battery door on the hygrometer when you stick the fuzzy Velcro piece on the back.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Excellent solution! Thanks!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Default In Case Hygrometer

I have wireless thermo/hygrometers in my cases. I gave up trying to "stick" them as anything eventually falls off.

The remote sensors have a small holder that they clip into and I put small screws through them that hold them to the side of the accessory box in the case. Even if I remove them they're small enough that you wouldn't see the hole left behind.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 09-23-2018, 09:08 AM

I just put my hygrometers in the accessory box - assuming that is not where your humidity device is also placed. These compartments are not airtight or watertight, and the RH inside the case is pretty even throughout. Sure the RH might be slightly higher in a couple of spots inside the case, but a general snapshot is good enough. It is much more important that the body of the guitar be humidified than the neck and headstock.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Oasis has an interesting solution. I bought it and it works, however it is not something that you can leave on all the time.
It attaches to the first string on a soft cloth. And that is the reason why you can not leave it on all the time, as it is takes a few seconds to take it on and off. If you are pulling your guitar in and out of the case regularly, it is just too time consuming. But it does work and pretty accurately, measuring at the body.
https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/pro...-holder-oh-20/
Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
Use Velcro. Get a staple gun and staple the hook part of the Velcro to the upright end of the center pocket wall (right on top and over the fuzzy stuff), they are wood, then put the fuzzy half of the Velcro where the smooth area of the magnet is, and your good to go. Just be sure to make sure you sill have easy access to the battery door on the hygrometer when you stick the fuzzy Velcro piece on the back.
I've used this in a couple cases. While the adhesive isn't the greatest with the fuzzy interior of cases, it's strong enough to hold a lightweight hygrometer in place. A staple gun would certainly work, but I want my hygrometer to face upright in the case so I can view the reading without having to peek around at an odd angle.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Default velcro

I cut a piece of foam board to wedge in the case,

Stuck the humidifier and hydrometer to it with the Velcro they came with.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I've found the metal clips that fit over the end of the accessory case to be the most elegant solution. If I could just get Jeff Hoffee to make one thick enough to work with his super thick compartment lids . . .
Old 09-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Gang, any consensus on brand?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I've found the metal clips that fit over the end of the accessory case to be the most elegant solution. If I could just get Jeff Hoffee to make one thick enough to work with his super thick compartment lids . . .

Justin, got a picture of these?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Been using this Bluetooth Humiditrak system for the past few years. Works great. Love being able to check the guitars without opening the cases...or even being in the same room.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMKC View Post
Justin, got a picture of these?
Like this.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Like this.

Thanks Justin!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion