The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Default US Built PRS Acoustics questions???

I'm curious how do the PRS US made acoustic instruments hold up with other brands and luthier built guitars?

Also are there differences in the earlier ones that were made by Steve Fischer vs the newer Private Stock ones being made today?

Does any one know did they ever make the Tonare Grand with a cutaway? It seems like only the Angelus has one.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 PM

I can only answer the first question. Yes, One of the best guitars I ever heard was an early Brazilian Rosewood Angelus. I should have bought it, It sounded like a Steinway Grand Piano. I saw Tony McManus playing his and it sounded pretty good as well!

Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I’ve only played one Angelus but I’ve played 4 or so Tonare Grand custom models either in European Spruce or Red Spruce. The one Angelus I played was $13k and it was quite impressive but for $13k I’d probably buy something different like a players grade pre war Martin Dreadnought or something along those lines.

I’ve been quite fond of the Tonare Grands I’ve played. They hold their own very well with a lot of $6000+ instruments I’ve played. They remind me in some ways of a McPherson guitars, they are on the heavier side with a lot of sustain and a rich warm sound. They are still quite responsive though like a good McPherson is. I have a 2013 Tonare Grand coming in currently which is post Steve Fischer and my other one is 2010 which was built by Steve Fischer. From what I understand the newer US built PRS acoustics are only built by two guys.

Their guitars are quite classy and really beautiful. From what I heard Bill Collings and Paul Reed Smith were good friends and PRS would always say if Collings started building electric guitars that PRS would have to start building acoustics. Collings builds awesome electric guitars and PRS builds awesome acoustic guitars!! Kind of a fun story.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 09-24-2018, 07:06 AM

Each PRS acoustic I’ve played have been in the very top echelon of guitars I’ve played over the years. They command a premium price that becomes understandable when you pick one up.

Paul Reed Smith has established himself as one of the great American guitar builders. Not a easy feat.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone, this place is always a wealth of information.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 AM

I played an Alex Lifesong PRS Private Stock once and I thought it was one of the best guitars I'd ever played. It was 8K and I thought about it long and hard and just couldn't spend that. If I were a better player or a pro I think I might have gone for it. Also, I don't know how well they hold their value. That may be yet to be determined.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion