The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 04:23 PM

Default Pick To String Buzz

I just started playing a new Fender PM-2 Parlor short scale 12 fret guitar. I've never played a 12 fret guitar before. It's all mahogany, body and top, and much more lively than my dreadnought. I really like it. It's fun to play.
I have started to notice though, a somewhat annoying buzzing sound, which I subsequently determined to be caused by the contact of the pick, on the still vibrating string from the previous note. It's happening just at the precise instant that the pick touches the still vibrating string, and ahead of course, of the next picked note. It's tolerable, but somewhat annoying, if you catch my drift.
I've always naturally picked, so that the pick's edge strikes the string. If I shift my pick's angle to strike the string more flat on, I get rid of the buzz, but it compromises the tone I'm looking for by doing so.
I never noticed it before on my dreadnought. But now, I can even get that buzz out of the dreadnought although to a far less noticeable extent.
Has anyone else run into this? And if so what, if anything, did you do to adjust to that situation? I tried a whole wack of different picks to see if that would have any effect. But any improvement was generally offset by compromised tones and sound levels.
Thanks for any comments you might have. Maybe it's something I'll just have to live with, in using this style of guitar. I don't know......................Dave
Mackenzie & Marr "Tofino X" OM (cedar/mahogany)
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Bourgeois Advanced Slope D,
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar
Fender PM-2 Parlor All Mahogany
Old 09-23-2018, 05:05 PM

Maybe try a different shape/thickness/composition pick? Not all my guitars prefer the same picks. It can be a pretty inexpensive (and fun) experiment.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:13 PM

I don’t think it’s the pick itself, you should damp the still vibrating string when it’s a problem.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solina Dave View Post

I've always naturally picked, so that the pick's edge strikes the string. If I shift my pick's angle to strike the string more flat on, I get rid of the buzz, but it compromises the tone I'm looking for by doing so.
I've experienced what you're describing, and your observation about the pick's angle with the strings reveals a lot about the situation. The issue goes away when you have just a bit more surface area contacting the strings, so I would recommend taking the pick you have and applying a bevel to it to increase the surface area touching the strings without having to compromise your natural pick angle. It's pretty straight forward to do and get acceptable results, but feel free to message me and I'll walk you through how to go about it if you haven't done it before!

- Eric
Old 09-24-2018, 05:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMLPicks View Post
I've experienced what you're describing, and your observation about the pick's angle with the strings reveals a lot about the situation. The issue goes away when you have just a bit more surface area contacting the strings, so I would recommend taking the pick you have and applying a bevel to it to increase the surface area touching the strings without having to compromise your natural pick angle. It's pretty straight forward to do and get acceptable results, but feel free to message me and I'll walk you through how to go about it if you haven't done it before!

- Eric
+1 to this - but I'll also add that while increasing the surface area will help, I believe it's also important to ensure that the area of the pick contacting the string is polished, to avoid a 'fuzzy' contact.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:38 AM

string tension is lessened on a 12 fret guitar.
this equates to more string movement .
you'll adapt.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
you'll adapt.
Yep and the same thing can happen with low tension strings...I know from personal experience.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMLPicks View Post
Your observation about the pick's angle with the strings reveals a lot about the situation, so I would recommend taking the pick you have and applying a bevel to it to increase the surface area touching the strings without having to compromise your natural pick angle.

- Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
I believe it's also important to ensure that the area of the pick contacting the string is polished, to avoid a 'fuzzy' contact.

Cheers,
David
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
you'll adapt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yep and the same thing can happen with low tension strings
Thanks very much to all of you. From what I'm hearing, I'm not alone.
I'll put more of a bevel on that edge of the pick, like you say Eric, to offer more surface area contact with the string.
And thanks David, I'll definitely be giving that edge a good polishing. Makes perfect sense.
Varmonter. I suspected that the 12 fret factor was a contributing one, in that I'd never really noticed it before with my dreadnought. I didn't even notice it with the 12 fret at first. But the more comfortable I became with the guitar, the more observant and critical I became. So I'm quite sure that you're right when you say, I'll adapt.
And finally Jamie. That may be a good point. I'm presently using the factory Fender strings that came with it. I've used Elixirs for years (personal preference) so I'll switch back and see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone for you help...........Dave
Mackenzie & Marr "Tofino X" OM (cedar/mahogany)
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Bourgeois Advanced Slope D,
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar
Fender PM-2 Parlor All Mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion