The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-01-2018, 06:40 PM

I recently got ‘65 Princeton Reverb reissue special edition with a celestion g10 gold in it. I loved this amp and all of my guitars sound great through it but, being a single channel amp with only one volume knob, I could really only play it clean and sit in the same room with it unless I used some dirt pedals.

I have since got an SPL 100 watt power soak that is vary transparent even when really attenuating the amp. Now that I can get the Princeton to where it is wanting to break up, I LOVE this amp and all of my guitars sound AWESOME through it. I have a 93 Strat deluxe plus, a 97 Les Paul standard, an 05 ES 335 and an 18 G & L ASAT Classic.

Last edited by gwlee7; 08-01-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: I have fat fingers
Old 08-03-2018, 06:34 AM

This is a fun read, thanks everyone. I have not done much amp exploration (though I may have to if I don’t break my bad habit of neglecting to turn mine off after use)

I am more impressed with this Tele every day. I can’t imagine a better buy at $500 used. It was assembled on the side of the border that makes it affordable for me! I think I am a Tele guy going forward. There is just a simple rawness to the sound that I love. I’m horrible at describing sound but surely many of you know what I mean!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 08-08-2018, 01:20 PM

It is nice when you're happy with your tone. It allows you to concentrate on what you're playing instead of all the other stuff that gets in the way when you're fumbling around with equipment. I'm another guy who's lucky enough to have some nice guitars - not super expensive, but you wouldn't know it - and some nice amps to pair 'em with. Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, some nice semi hollows. I have a lot of amps, too, but at the moment 3 of them are getting all the playing time: Fender Vibro Champ, Princeton Reverb, and a Vox AC15. If I get a bad sound out of those, it's my own **** fault!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Being Tele-less for the last few years I ordered some MJT bodies and some necks. But until they get researched, components ordered and then assembled I sprung for an old tele that I once had. This is a keeper for me A light, USA, Fender Telecaster HS. The 2005 and 2006 (last years of manufacture) have a low output (4ohm) Enforcer humbucker that pairs with the already great Fender USA bridge PU.

Here's my color and design. I was the last second bidder on a USED mint one a month ago (eBay- $1,050 and many bids).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLg-3uhekI

I have never paid that much for a USA, used telecaster. These tele's are my favorite of all time. The owner was surprised at the 17 bidders. They are almost noise free and the center position split sounds like a trumpet, with compressed tone. Then you have the bridge can be bright and huge, or very warm EQ'd.

The American tele's for 6 years had a 43mm, instead of the current 42.8" nut width (from 2008 and on). So amazing to feel the width. (I have owned 10 teles over the last fun 30 years). I miss the MIM Muddy Waters too.

Dig those Baja's! I love your PU's and fat neck.
Glad you love your Baja - music connection.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Yesterday’s practice was the PRS double cut gold top with soap bars straight into the old tweed Deluxe. No Reverb, just a guitar, cord, and amp. Turned up to three, I finally got the tone I was looking for with the guitar.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:50 AM

I've been using a Carr Rambler, which seems to be a great all around amp. Can do jazz, metal, and almost anything in between with ease.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Would love to hear other examples of people discovering matches made in heaven.
I paired an amazing Probett Rocket III with a Victoria Regal. The guitar is sort of a Strat/Tele/LP mashup and has an incredible array of sounds available. With the ability to swap tubes easily, the Regal is just a flexible. Combining the two gives me endless possibilities.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 PM

My Reverend Jetstream HB and my Two Rock Cardiff head/cab work extremely well together, particularly with the bass contour rolled back slightly on the Reverend. Serious chime with this setup.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I recently picked up a used Bogner Alchemist 112 and it sounds amazing with my 70s Strat. I’ve been playing around for about a week now and have a couple of settings that I have dialed in. It is such a versatile amp that with a little experimentation you could find just about any sound, from the classic clean fender to a paint pealing Marshall crunch. And the Strat just sustains for days.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 08-23-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I recently picked up a used Bogner Alchemist 112 and it sounds amazing with my 70s Strat. I’ve been playing around for about a week now and have a couple of settings that I have dialed in. It is such a versatile amp that with a little extermination you could find just about any sound, from the classic clean fender to a paint pealing Marshall crunch. And the Stat just sustains for days.
Oh, yeah?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 08-24-2018, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Oh, yeah?
Ha, I have had some funny typos before but that one makes the top 10 list.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats

Last edited by Mbroady; 08-24-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Ha, I have had some funny typos before but that one makes the top 10 list.
Given your location (and understanding your Alchemist was a nice score) at the risk of inflicting more AAS
Asheville is the location of Port City Amplification, a perhaps less well known boutique Amp builder who has the reputation among some professionals of building not only one of the nicest super clean amps to be found, but also a speaker cabinet design of some repute . And on a personal note having e-mailed and talked on the phone, he seems to be a super nice and conscientious guy .

In any case he does set up visits to the shop which could interesting ( if not expensive )
https://www.portcityamps.com/
Currently I have both my Supro Titan and ext. Cab and My Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special up for sale, because My next (and hopefully last (ha !) amp purchase is going to be his Pearl 50 watt Head and his 2 X12 vertical OS Wave cabinet

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-24-2018, 08:49 AM

I planned to sell my Vox AC30CCH that I ran into a 2x10 that used to be a Cambridge 30 9320 amp. Wasn't great on both ends. I was looking for a guitar with a Floyd Rose style tremolo but was distracted when I plugged it into a Vox AC15C1 because it sounded GREAT.

I then saw a Vox Bruno TB18C1 at half price in my go-to guitar store and decided to give it a go. Took me a long time to understand how to use it but I really like it now, especially with the Dr. Z Brake Lite attenuator I got for it.

I use it primarily with my Taylor SolidBody Classic. I set the amp on the edge of clean by using the attenuator. I like to drive it with my Fulltone OCD and Analogman King of Tone (yes, I jumped on the hype-train). I recently discovered the wonderful and crazy world of fuzz and use a ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory and ProCo Rat 2 now as well.

I also have a PRS SE Torero (EMGs and Floyd Rose) that works okayish with it. Probably because it's tuned B to B. My Gretsch Electromatic 5620T (semi-hollow/center-block) does sound wonderful with this set-up though.

What I love about this amp is that whenever I record it clean - it just sits in the mix really well. It has a certain kind of mid character that makes it sit just right. My overdrive/fuzz pedals make it a little difficult with the exception of the King of Tone (unsurprisingly.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Given your location (and understanding your Alchemist was a nice score) at the risk of inflicting more AAS
Asheville is the location of Port City Amplification, a perhaps less well known boutique Amp builder who has the reputation among some professionals of building not only one of the nicest super clean amps to be found, but also a speaker cabinet design of some repute . And on a personal note having e-mailed and talked on the phone, he seems to be a super nice and conscientious guy .

In any case he does set up visits to the shop which could interesting ( if not expensive )
https://www.portcityamps.com/
Currently I have both my Supro Titan and ext. Cab and My Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special up for sale, because My next (and hopefully last (ha !) amp purchase is going to be his Pearl 50 watt Head and his 2 X12 vertical OS Wave cabinet

This is good info to have on file. You never know when it will come in handy. Thanks!!!

I’m finding that this town is full of little surprises. I found this guy the other day and might have him make me a pick up(s) for a MIM fender precision bass I recently got my hands on.
https://www.magnetodesignlab.com/#tru-tone-scroller

And, there are some killer musicians floating around these hills
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 08-31-2018, 05:06 PM

I can't decide which amp I like better with my Ric 360/12 - my Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI or Vox AC15C1.

Both amps sound great with this guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars