The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-30-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Epi Les Paul tek question

I just purchased a 2005 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. The guitar is flawless except that the neck pick up does not work. I knew this but decided to take a shot at it because the price was right and I like to solve problems. So far the selector switch seems to be in order. If anyone has any experience in trouble shooting these any guidance would be appreciated on what to check next. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I just purchased a 2005 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. The guitar is flawless except that the neck pick up does not work. I knew this but decided to take a shot at it because the price was right and I like to solve problems. So far the selector switch seems to be in order. If anyone has any experience in trouble shooting these any guidance would be appreciated on what to check next. Thanks.
The very first and most usual thing to go is the selector switch, and the route is by junque from construction getting stuck between the contacts. It feels normal but contact becomes momentary or stops entirely. I've had it on all my Epis and friends have, too. Just remove the switch cover on the back and use a tech wipe or paper towel with contact cleaner to clean the contacts.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-30-2018, 05:01 PM

Will try that route. It looks fine but...never know.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:40 AM

new and better quality switch is about $20 and takes a couple of minutes to replace.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:30 AM

Selector switch, output jack and pots are weak points on almost every Epi guitar.

But if the switch seems to work, try measuring the pickups resistance, maybe there is something wrong with it.

Also check the wire connection where the pickup is soldered to the volume pot.

If the pickup doesn't work and they are the regular Epiphone ones, I'd recommend replacing them anyway, the stock ones are not really good tbh.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Becker View Post
Selector switch, output jack and pots are weak points on almost every Epi guitar.

But if the switch seems to work, try measuring the pickups resistance, maybe there is something wrong with it.

Also check the wire connection where the pickup is soldered to the volume pot.

If the pickup doesn't work and they are the regular Epiphone ones, I'd recommend replacing them anyway, the stock ones are not really good tbh.
Agreed. I always rewire. Of course there are exceptions, but typically the standard wiring in a lot of guitars is an area they cut corners.

You can do a complete re-wire with CTS pots, switch-craft switch and jack, orange drop caps (or PIO if preferred, but prepare to spend considerably more), new knobs (usually necessary due to new pot shaft size), new switch tip...all for under $100.00 (in material). WELL worth the investment imho. If you can solder, you can re-wire. Or, have a local tech do it.

Believe it or not these changes yield a noticeable tone difference (for the better), and can make a good guitar a great guitar. FWIW.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:49 AM

Check the pickup for open coil.
Check for broken wire, or pinched grounded wire.

Ed
Old 08-31-2018, 12:09 PM

Do you get sound with the switch in the mid position? If so, it's very likely a dirty or broken switch. A bad pot would mute both pickups, as would a shorted pickup coil. Also, remove the control cavity cover and gently move the wires around and inspect them. One of the delicate pickup leads may have broken or could be shorting out against something else in the cavity.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-31-2018, 03:44 PM

Good advice from all. I checked the selector switch, very basic device. All seems in order, clean with no corrosion. I downloaded a wiring diagram for Epi/Les Paul. All looks good but there are two extra wires that are not on the diagram. Looks like someone was in there. Looks like a blk grounding wire was soldered to the neck (which is the problem) tone pot and then disappears into what looks like a small 1/8" ( 3mm) hole that goes???? Have not taken the p/ups out yet. Also continuity test shows when selector switch is placed in treble ( bridge) position, circuit closes to the NECK volume pot??? Oh, man will have to run some more tests. I'm beginning to think the neck p/up is NG and they tried to tie it in somehow. Thanks for all the ideas. Between working on lessons this is a challenge.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Good advice from all. I checked the selector switch, very basic device. All seems in order, clean with no corrosion. I downloaded a wiring diagram for Epi/Les Paul. All looks good but there are two extra wires that are not on the diagram. Looks like someone was in there. Looks like a blk grounding wire was soldered to the neck (which is the problem) tone pot and then disappears into what looks like a small 1/8" ( 3mm) hole that goes???? Have not taken the p/ups out yet. Also continuity test shows when selector switch is placed in treble ( bridge) position, circuit closes to the NECK volume pot??? Oh, man will have to run some more tests. I'm beginning to think the neck p/up is NG and they tried to tie it in somehow. Thanks for all the ideas. Between working on lessons this is a challenge.
Is one of the volume or tone pots a push/pull? Someone might have attempted a split coil pickup install.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-31-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Is one of the volume or tone pots a push/pull? Someone might have attempted a split coil pickup install.

Bob
They appear to be the stock humbuckers on all the standards but I really dont know yet. No, the pots and p/u appear to be stock items. The previous owner, a male about 60, had moved up to a "real" Les Paul and was getting rid of this and a PRS elec he had. Everything was clean and appeared to be free of abuse. I think he may have had a problem with this and had someone who "thought" they knew what they were doing work on it and failed. But you never know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars