The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 PM

I have used a Shubb capo for about six months now I also used a Paige Click as well but for me the Shubb works fine . I place the capo in the centre of the fret and then taking a tip from TE push down gently on all the strings just in front of the bridge this seems to even things out . I now tend to use a capo most of the time when playing on my own
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-23-2018, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

It’s an interesting thought to intentionally put the capo at an angle. When I put on a capo, I try to put it on parallel to the fret. However, because of my point of view when holding the guitar in playing position, I often put it on at an angle unintentionally. When I double check (by turning the front of the guitar towards me and looking at the fretboard from right in front) I usually notice that the capo is at an angle and will have to readjust it to get it parallel. That being said, I wonder how many guitarists unintentionally put the capo on at an angle.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:14 PM

I place my Paige or Shubb right behind the fret. I friends that place their capos haphazardly between frets.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-24-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I put it directly behind the fret. I'm going to try angling it like others have mentioned here.

I find I angle mine by accident and straighten it up when I notice! I’m going to see what happens if I leave it alone!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
I have used a Shubb capo for about six months now I also used a Paige Click as well but for me the Shubb works fine . I place the capo in the centre of the fret and then taking a tip from TE push down gently on all the strings just in front of the bridge this seems to even things out . I now tend to use a capo most of the time when playing on my own
Yep - TE's tip of pushing down on all of the strings at the sound hole somehow works when the capo is placed centered between frets. I'm sure someone here can explain why this works, but it seems it relieves stress from the strings behind the capo (towards headstock) to take the sharpness out a bit.

I personally don't like the feel of the capo too close (or on) the fret. It gets in the way for me.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=Don Liv;5845645]It’s an interesting thought to intentionally put the capo at an angle. When I put on a capo, I try to put it on parallel to the fret. However, because of my point of view when holding the guitar in playing position, I often put it on at an angle unintentionally. When I double check (by turning the front of the guitar towards me and looking at the fretboard from right in front) I usually notice that the capo is at an angle and will have to readjust it to get it parallel. That being said, I wonder how many guitarists unintentionally put the capo on at an angle.[/QUOTE]

Count me in here. I think I put it on at an angle more than I realize. I don't tend to need to retune. Maybe it's due to this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion