The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2021, 02:18 PM

Default BOSS IR-200

New IR pedal from BOSS

Pedal-based amp simulator and impulse response loader with premium sound and features
32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating-point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate
128 user IR slots with support for mono and stereo WAV files, up to 32-bit floating point/96 kHz resolution, and 200 or 500 ms length
Large onboard preset cab IR library with 144 BOSS IRs and 10 Celestion Digital IRs
Class-leading IR reproduction with two custom DSPs
Eight guitar and three bass amp types to cover a wide range of styles
Run up to two IRs at once in mono or stereo
128 memories for storing user setups
Two EQs in each memory plus two global EQs, all with selectable parametric or graphic operation
Room, Studio, and Hall ambience types
Effects loop with mono send and mono/stereo return, with selectable pre-cab or post-EQ positioning
Dedicated software for loading cab IRs and backing up memories
Versatile USB audio interface for recording and playback with music software on Mac and Windows computers and iOS devices
Deep external control support via footswitches, an expression pedal, and TRS MIDI

There is almost a blend:

Direct mix: 0–100: Adjusts the volume of the direct sound (the sound with the speaker turned off ).
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-16-2021, 04:59 PM

Seems more for electric and bass guitars . This thing seems cool https://youtu.be/z62NWdjtjr0
Old 09-16-2021, 06:44 PM

I love Boss, but I can't see this defeating the Iridium for pure sound. I would much rather keep my Iridium and have three incredible amp IR's than have something like the IR-200 that probably has a ton of options, but none are the best of what's out there. Still, it does look pretty cool.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Nice to see this. Of course these guys are going to focus on cab emulations for electric players. Both the size of the market compared to acoustics, and the degree of adoption of IRs means they're not going to focus their advertising on acoustic players (where the most frequent question is still "what's an IR?").

But as I read the specs, there's no reason you can't load up your own acoustic IRs. With stereo IRs and the ability to have 2, this seems pretty useful to me. I'm using the Two Notes CabM, which is also heavily marketed to electric players as a "cab emulator", but it's really just an IR loader, so it can be anything I load into it. The NUX and Iridium seem useful too - nice to have choices! Not that long ago, the options were rather limited.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:11 PM

I think the 2 IRs at the same time or stereo IRs is what I missed 1st time looking at this pedal .
Old 05-28-2023, 03:04 AM

Has anyone ever tested this with an acoustic IR? If so, were you successful?
Old 05-30-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimata View Post
Has anyone ever tested this with an acoustic IR? If so, were you successful?
Yes, I've been working on this. At first I wasn't having much luck, but I figured out a couple of things that really helped. Here are some comments I posted several days ago in another thread (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...php?t=665607):

Quote:
I made some progress using IRs last night, based on two things I discovered about the Boss IR-200 (which I got just a couple of days ago). First, the IR-200 allows you to run two separate cabs/IRs simultaneously, and it comes from the factory with both engaged (but the manual doesn't mention this). So before, while I was experimenting with different IRs in one of the slots, I didn't realize that there were different pre-installed cabs doing stuff in the other slot that were really affecting the tone. I figured out how to disengage that second slot.

Second, although the manual makes reference to an input level parameter, it doesn't really say anything about how to use it. However, I stumbled across an FAQ post on the Boss website that explains exactly what to do to calibrate the input level to match the upstream output. It turned out that I needed to increase this by about 16dB. (Previously, I had to add gain elsewhere within the IR-200, which significantly impacted the tone.)

Overall, I was pretty pleased with the results I was able to get after making these two adjustments. I plan to experiment with a variety of IRs to fine-tune things, but I'm pretty confident (at least hopeful) now that this is going to work for me.
"Acoustic" Setup: Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster (USA), Fishman Loudbox Artist, Source Audio EQ2, LR Baggs Align Session, Wampler Ego, T-Rex Moller 2, Boss DD-500/RV-500/MD-500, EHX 1440, Matthews Effects Futurist
Other Gear: Taylor 314ce, Les Paul Classic, PRS S2 Mira, Telecaster (Nashville Deluxe), Ovation Celebrity, Martin Backpacker, BeatBuddy, TC Electronics Duplicator, Shure BETA 87A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification