The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2021, 01:38 PM

Default Affordable, light, small, high quality set-up

Hi, I have or had some very nice equipment, with Deadalus cabinets, high-end preamps, expensive pickups etc like many of us but recently I've put together a cheap and transportable setup which is surprisingly good in terms of quality of sound and also volume. This is the setup and indicative costs:

K&K pure mini - the most common pickup on this forum - 99$
Schertler Giulia Y amp (but the former version is good as well) - 250$ used
TritonAudio BigAmp piezo (a tiny preamp with Hi-z, 7,5M ohm) - 50$ used

That's it. My Lowden had the K&K already in it, so with 300$ I've put together. The amp fits in my backpack, the preamp is as small as you can get.

Thanks to the headroom available, this system is loud, loud enough for a small band with a drummer as far as it is jazz, blues, soft pop etc. But it can also act as a monitor as the Giulia has DI out. The reverb is great too.

I have to say that the Giulia with the K&K without the Triton preamp was muffled and definitely not loud enough. This little preamp made a huge difference!

Check this gear out, even just for curiosity.

Disclaimer: I'm based in EU, therefore I might have better access to Schertler and Triton Audio gear. All was bought on Reverb though..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification