The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-15-2021, 01:09 PM

Default How to deal with multiple EQs?

OK so between my guitar and pedal board, I have all these EQ options:

-3 band EQ on guitar
-7 band graphic EQ pedal (LR Baggs)
-3 band EQ with sweepable Mid (Acoustic Flyrig)
- High Pass Filter on Flyrig
-Low pass filter on Baggs EQ
-overall 7 band EQ on my PA speaker

All these options can get overwhelming. Should I put most of them at 12 oclock and just use one? What do you recomend?
Old 09-15-2021, 01:14 PM

I’d just use either the flyrig or the Baggs. No point having 2 EQ’s in the signal chain. Too many signals in the chain is counter productive.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I’d just use either the flyrig or the Baggs. No point having 2 EQ’s in the signal chain. Too many signals in the chain is counter productive.
The Baggs has 7 bands versus the Flyrig, which only has bass, mid, treble
Old 09-15-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Here's what I do based on the Bose S1 Pro (2 EQ), StompMix X6 (3 EQ plus sweep), and Cole Clark (3 EQ):

1: Set everything flat. Everything. (Note: I set gain on Bose and CC to 50%)
2: Set input gain on X6.
3: Set EQ on X6 (along with high pass)

From there it's minor tweaks to the Bose S1 EQ which is always the same with minor tweaks for 'the room'. Bose volume almost always flat (50%). X6 volume as needed for the room. Final EQ and volume as needed on the CC which differs based on song, mostly (fingerstyle vs strumming).

Note - I also set effects, compression and notch (as needed) on the X6 but you didn't talk about that.

You seem to have some redundancies and could easily get rid of at least one, maybe two things.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
OK so between my guitar and pedal board, I have all these EQ options:

-3 band EQ on guitar
-7 band graphic EQ pedal (LR Baggs)
-3 band EQ with sweepable Mid (Acoustic Flyrig)
- High Pass Filter on Flyrig
-Low pass filter on Baggs EQ
-overall 7 band EQ on my PA speaker

All these options can get overwhelming. Should I put most of them at 12 oclock and just use one? What do you recomend?
Hi JackB1…

What function FOR YOUR GUITAR does the Flyrig supply that the L.R. Baggs does not (or cannot) do? I'm assuming it's the L.R. Baggs Align?

Is your chain Guitar--> Flyrig+Baggs --> Pedalboard --> PA speaker?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-15-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi JackB1…

What function FOR YOUR GUITAR does the Flyrig supply that the L.R. Baggs does not (or cannot) do? I'm assuming it's the L.R. Baggs Align?

Is your chain Guitar--> Flyrig+Baggs --> Pedalboard --> PA speaker?

The Flyrig is used for effects: compression, reverb, chorus, delay. The Baggs EQ is the Align 7 band. My chain is this:
Guitar> Baggs Align EQ > Flyrig > speaker
Old 09-16-2021, 06:58 AM

Where I can see this setup being very useful (I don't know the Flyrig but a cursory glance suggests it doesn't have save-able presets):

Flyrig for general sounds, switching in FX/boost as appropriate, everything else flat

Baggs Align for another, EQ adjusted boost for solo/fingerpicking (on top of whatever the Flyrig is doing).

Onboard EQ for universal broad brush adding/cutting on the fly without adjusting other pedals.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The Flyrig is used for effects: compression, reverb, chorus, delay. The Baggs EQ is the Align 7 band. My chain is this:
Guitar> Baggs Align EQ > Flyrig > speaker
Hi JackB1…

If this were my gear, I'd run the EQ on the FLYrig flat, and use the Baggs Align for EQ.

And I believe the Flyrig has LPF (High end Cut) filter…at least some versions of the FlyRig have high end cut. That's true in the SansAmp model (where it's simulating amps).

The Baggs has HiPass (Low Cut), and the frequencies are specified as to where the low cut is set. I usually go with 80hz. That's very close to where the Low E string (bass) is. The 40hz would be an octave below where the acoustic bass string is, and most low-cut (Hi Pass) filters are shelved, not hard cut. So it will not degrade the sound if you downtune the low string to D or C.

I find cutting the lows is more useful, because it often helps eliminate boominess in the low range (especially in ensemble play, but also in situations where a sound tech is push bass beyond sensitivity).

The Align also has a feedback notch.

Have fun setting it up and don't be afraid to experiment.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-16-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi JackB1…

If this were my gear, I'd run the EQ on the FLYrig flat, and use the Baggs Align for EQ.

And I believe the Flyrig has LPF (High end Cut) filter…at least some versions of the FlyRig have high end cut. That's true in the SansAmp model (where it's simulating amps).

The Baggs has HiPass (Low Cut), and the frequencies are specified as to where the low cut is set. I usually go with 80hz. That's very close to where the Low E string (bass) is. The 40hz would be an octave below where the acoustic bass string is, and most low-cut (Hi Pass) filters are shelved, not hard cut. So it will not degrade the sound if you downtune the low string to D or C.

I find cutting the lows is more useful, because it often helps eliminate boominess in the low range (especially in ensemble play, but also in situations where a sound tech is push bass beyond sensitivity).

The Align also has a feedback notch.

Have fun setting it up and don't be afraid to experiment.

Thanks for the great advice. Yes I have a LPF on the Flyrig and a HPF on the Align EQ. I usually leave the HPF at 120. I never go down below drop D, but I play solo so I want a full spectrum of sound with highs and lows, but don't want boomy lows or shrill highs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification