The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I've heard Yorkville powered speakers that sounded very good. Made in Canada, eh?
I spent a few hours looking into Yorkville today, as I started to consider the Bose S1 and read about the Yorkville EXM Mobile 8 comparing to the Bose. I found one credible review that said that the Mobile 8 was more of a glorified Bluetooth speaker, but that the Mobile 12 which is similarly priced was worth considering. I am still considering one of the Fishman Loudbox models, and also the Genzler Acoustic Array pro. The elite Audio D6-58 is still part of the equation as shipping to Canada might not be as problematic as I thought. Finally, a QSC 8.2 with some effects added is still tugging. Rough prices in Can are 1400 for the Genzler, $1000 for the QSC,(plus the effects) 850 for the Fishman Artist, the Bose S1, and the Yorkville 12. The Elite Audio will be upwards of $1650 depending on brokerage fees and taxes.

I am wondering how people would rank those choices that they are familiar with, against each other?

I am willing to expand my budget if it makes sense to do so. I am concerned that some of these might lack power if my needs require more in the future. I would rather buy once and have few regrets.

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-2021, 10:28 AM

I found the Fenfer Acoustasonic 150 great for vocals, good for guitar. Lightweight too.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:20 PM

Default Cube EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I have not owned the others; no need for me, so I can't offer an opinion as to what is better or worse.

As far as the general opinion of the Cube EX I'd recommend reading the 75 customer reviews at Sweetwater. They don't filter reviews, so what you see is actual reviews, good or bad.

Sweetwater Cube EX customer reviews

We like our CubeEX very much.
Been using it now for about 4 years
My wife sings and plays rhythm acoustic guitar and I play lead acoustic guitar.
We've tried several acoustic amps over time and feel that this Cube is hard to bet.
In my opinion, the only thing that could be improved on is the small amount of reverb available. Plenty of chorus.
Lightweight and long battery life is a big plus too.

Never had a feedback issue.
Good luck with your search

2017 Taylor 414 SE rosewood

2020 Taylor 412e -R

2021 Breedlove Performer Concert CE ..
all solid woods mahogany with torrified spruce top

Roland Cube EX acoustic amp...battery powered
Old 09-12-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Since you're in Canada, have you checked out the ASG-8 from Godin?
Old 09-12-2021, 06:28 PM

I get absolutely superb results with AER amps. My main gigging amp is a Compact 60 (fourth/latest iteration) which is loud, clear, crisp and warm. I use an AKG D7 mic and vocals sound really, really superb through it. I am a tenor and prefer singing through the C60 to any PA system I’ve used, including the house system at the Royal Albert Hall in London and Liverpool Echo Arena. It’s THAT good and suits my voice as if it was made for it.

It’s a superb guitar amplifier also. I’ve just got home from a run of four shows this week and used the C60 for all of them. Largest was tonight’s show which was a 1000 capacity venue, in which I ran vocals and guitar through the C60 as a mixer and monitor, and ran a DI out of it to the house rig. All of the other venues were significantly smaller (largest being 350 capacity) and the C60 was the sole source of amplification. They’re an astonishing bit of kit and a very professional tool, that are small and light enough to sling in a shoulder bag!

Please check AER out. The Domino or Compact XL offer more wattage than the Compact 60, but to be honest it’s hard to imagine a scenario where the C60 would fall short. I could have used mine for tonight’s gig, but it made sense to go through the house rig via the C60 as mixer/FX/monitor as it was there and ready to go.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quite an endorsement Jinder. Thanks for the report.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 09-12-2021, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I really dig my Fishman Artist. I used it tonight, area was 100 x 100 feet. It was outdoors on the boardwalk for 100 people. I had the master set at noon and it carried just fine for guitar and vocals. I've been using my Bose S1 for indoor gigs all summer, but didn't think the Bose would handle the area for tonight's gig, so I brought the Artist. Did a great job.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 09-13-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Quite an endorsement Jinder. Thanks for the report.
I think it’s the focused aspect of the vocal sound through the AER that I enjoy so much. I have sung through so many house systems where there is a load of unnecessary rumble, plosive noise and so on under 70hz and too much top end hype and sibilant racket. I’ve worked with some great monitor engineers and FOH engineers but have always felt like there is a halo of unnecessary frequencies around what I do (acoustic guitar and vocal) due to hyped speaker response, gear sensitivity or whatever it is. There is something so pure and focused about the C60 that just works so well for me, and gives me the vocal sound I’ve been hearing in my head for decades, but have never been able to realise at a live show. It sounds like a louder version of a vocal and acoustic guitar in a good room, with a subtle buttering of ‘verb. No “larger than life” hyped bass or top end, just pure, focused sound. I love it.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrfk View Post
I spent a few hours looking into Yorkville today, as I started to consider the Bose S1 and read about the Yorkville EXM Mobile 8 comparing to the Bose. I found one credible review that said that the Mobile 8 was more of a glorified Bluetooth speaker, but that the Mobile 12 which is similarly priced was worth considering. I am still considering one of the Fishman Loudbox models, and also the Genzler Acoustic Array pro. The elite Audio D6-58 is still part of the equation as shipping to Canada might not be as problematic as I thought. Finally, a QSC 8.2 with some effects added is still tugging. Rough prices in Can are 1400 for the Genzler, $1000 for the QSC,(plus the effects) 850 for the Fishman Artist, the Bose S1, and the Yorkville 12. The Elite Audio will be upwards of $1650 depending on brokerage fees and taxes.

I am wondering how people would rank those choices that they are familiar with, against each other?

I am willing to expand my budget if it makes sense to do so. I am concerned that some of these might lack power if my needs require more in the future. I would rather buy once and have few regrets.

Thoughts?
Lot's of great choices out there. It depends mostly on how much you're willing to spend, how many inputs you need and how much you're willing to carry! Since you're already willing to spend well up over $1000 the world is your oyster. I've owned and/or played almost everything on your list, so I'll detail my thoughts on everything I have direct experience with.

1. Roland Cube Street EX - Small, lightweight, can get surprisingly loud and can run on batteries. It's a great solution for a small, lightweight busking amp. The sound is just okay for acoustic guitar and vocals, though. My guitar (K&K pickup then) needed an EQ/boost in front of it. I solved this with an inexpensive Danelectro Fish & Chips. Seems to be a better option for electric guitars. Like acoustic guitars were an afterthought. It is fairly inexpensive and can usually be found used.

2. Carvin AG - I had the AG200 and it was a great amp. Prices were great (even new) and sound was terrific. If you can find a used AG300, I'd go for that but they are quite hard to find these days because they are no longer made.

3. Genzler - I have no direct experience with their new array but I owned one of their original acoustic amps (the Shenandoah 85) and it was great sounding albeit very heavy. The newer ones are not nearly as heavy, thankfully. Genzler products do a great job with vocals.

4. QSC k8.2 + mixer - This is a great solution if you need a ton of power. The QSC models are great at what they do, pretty much the industry standard for PA speakers for full bands. The new ones even have some built-in tone shaping presets but you'll need a mixer for more inputs and effects. I had the k8.2 and an inexpensive Behringer mixer that worked very well. Downside is it's a little heavy an needs AC power.

5. Fishman Loudbox-anything - Great amps that are a great value. I started with a Mini and it gets really loud for its small size and they now make an internal battery model for playing outside with AC no power. I eventually went up to the Artist because while only a little heavier and bigger, there was more power, more inputs, more effects and also onboard phantom power which was convenient for powering my RedEye that greatly improved my K&K pickup-equipped guitars. They are easily found used for great prices.

6. Bose S1 Pro - My current go-to setup. I have two which allows for a multitude of uses: 2 facing out for max coverage, one out for the crowd and one in for monitor, or just a single one behind us. I like it because having two means an automatic spare/backup. We rarely need or use two but the second one is always in the trunk, just in case. They are very small and very lightweight but still sound great, especially on vocals. The downside is they are pricey, limited on inputs and tone shaping options and they are underpowered when used alone. But if you put something in front of it for more inputs like a small mixer then you have power, effects, tone shaping and it gets VERY loud for such a small box!

7. EAE StompMix X6 - This is not an amp but rather a digital mixer which we use in front of the Bose S1 Pro(s). The X6 gives us the extra inputs we need (two mics, one guitar - with a few more inputs available if needed) plus a plethora of tone shaping and signal processing all in a compact package that is built like a tank and can run on an internal battery. Since going this route we no longer plug into any external AC power even when it's available. So much easier and faster. The downside is it is not inexpensive as mixers go.

8. EAE D6-58 - While I don't have any direct experience with this model - yet - I will after tomorrow! I finally pulled the trigger on one of these last week, bought new off Reverb. I'm assuming we are going to love it as all reports I've read it's raved about. It will basically give us everything we have right now in a convenient 'one-and-done' package as it basically has the X6 mixer built right into a more powerful amp than the Bose S1 Pro AND it also runs on an internal lithium battery. And since I'm already fluent in programming the X6, my learning curve should be short. I'll have more on that in the coming days including a NAD (New Amp Day) post.

Speaking of NAD posts, if you click the review link down in my sig line below it will take you a page with list. Scroll down on that and many of the amps I've owned above will have reviews including some demo videos of the latter ones like the Bose S1 and the QSC.

In summary, you have many options these days. Figure out how many inputs you need, whether you need/want battery power, how much you want to carry, how much you want to spend and the choices will narrow quickly. Good luck and keep us posted which way you go!

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-14-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:22 PM

Ive tried a few in my time as a working musician. EaE elite acoustics
can only be bought thru
them afaik. They are stellar.
I had the D68 and loved it.
Qsc makes great speakers.
id steer away from the 10.2
and doveither the 12 or 8 inch
models. i paired their cp8
with a schertler sub and it
was the acoustic grail.
Ive also had the aer c-60-3.
Great guitar amp..not so good for vocals.
too bad because it sounded really good for guitar.
To be honest an amp is just that . an amp.
I think a small mixer and a good quality piwered frfr speaker
is a better choice sound wise..Its nice to have the controls
next to you and the speaker some distance away..cant with an amp.

Last edited by varmonter; 09-14-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar amp with good vocals (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lot's of great choices out there. It depends mostly on how much you're willing to spend, how many inputs you need and how much you're willing to carry! Since you're already willing to spend well up over $1000 the world is your oyster. I've owned and/or played almost everything on your list, so I'll detail my thoughts on everything I have direct experience with.

1. Roland Cube Street EX - Small, lightweight, can get surprisingly loud and can run on batteries. It's a great solution for a small, lightweight busking amp. The sound is just okay for acoustic guitar and vocals, though. My guitar (K&K pickup then) needed an EQ/boost in front of it. I solved this with an inexpensive Danelectro Fish & Chips. Seems to be a better option for electric guitars. Like acoustic guitars were an afterthought. It is fairly inexpensive and can usually be found used.

2. Carvin AG - I had the AG200 and it was a great amp. Prices were great (even new) and sound was terrific. If you can find a used AG300, I'd go for that but they are quite hard to find these days because they are no longer made.

3. Genzler - I have no direct experience with their new array but I owned one of their original acoustic amps (the Shenandoah 85) and it was great sounding albeit very heavy. The newer ones are not nearly as heavy, thankfully. Genzler products do a great job with vocals.

4. QSC k8.2 + mixer - This is a great solution if you need a ton of power. The QSC models are great at what they do, pretty much the industry standard for PA speakers for full bands. The new ones even have some built-in tone shaping presets but you'll need a mixer for more inputs and effects. I had the k8.2 and an inexpensive Behringer mixer that worked very well. Downside is it's a little heavy an needs AC power.

5. Fishman Loudbox-anything - Great amps that are a great value. I started with a Mini and it gets really loud for its small size and they now make an internal battery model for playing outside with AC no power. I eventually went up to the Artist because while only a little heavier and bigger, there was more power, more inputs, more effects and also onboard phantom power which was convenient for powering my RedEye that greatly improved my K&K pickup-equipped guitars. They are easily found used for great prices.

6. Bose S1 Pro - My current go-to setup. I have two which allows for a multitude of uses: 2 facing out for max coverage, one out for the crowd and one in for monitor, or just a single one behind us. I like it because having two means an automatic spare/backup. We rarely need or use two but the second one is always in the trunk, just in case. They are very small and very lightweight but still sound great, especially on vocals. The downside is they are pricey, limited on inputs and tone shaping options and they are underpowered when used alone. But if you put something in front of it for more inputs like a small mixer then you have power, effects, tone shaping and it gets VERY loud for such a small box!

7. EAE StompMix X6 - This is not an amp but rather a digital mixer which we use in front of the Bose S1 Pro(s). The X6 gives us the extra inputs we need (two mics, one guitar - with a few more inputs available if needed) plus a plethora of tone shaping and signal processing all in a compact package that is built like a tank and can run on an internal battery. Since going this route we no longer plug into any external AC power even when it's available. So much easier and faster. The downside is it is not inexpensive as mixers go.

8. EAE D6-58 - While I don't have any direct experience with this model - yet - I will after tomorrow! I finally pulled the trigger on one of these last week, bought new off Reverb. I'm assuming we are going to love it as all reports I've read it's raved about. It will basically give us everything we have right now in a convenient 'one-and-done' package as it basically has the X6 mixer built right into a more powerful amp than the Bose S1 Pro AND it also runs on an internal lithium battery. And since I'm already fluent in programming the X6, my learning curve should be short. I'll have more on that in the coming days including a NAD (New Amp Day) post.

Speaking of NAD posts, if you click the review link down in my sig line below it will take you a page with list. Scroll down on that and many of the amps I've owned above will have reviews including some demo videos of the latter ones like the Bose S1 and the QSC.

In summary, you have many options these days. Figure out how many inputs you need, whether you need/want battery power, how much you want to carry, how much you want to spend and the choices will narrow quickly. Good luck and keep us posted which way you go!

I will be interested in hearing your opinion of the D6-58 as I absolutely LOVE mine. It is my main gigging amp. At 120 watts, it is almost always enough, and you can run a powered speaker or two from it when it isn’t.

Another option is the Schertler amps. I have a Roy which I am keeping in spite of how much I like the D6-58. What the Roy has going for it is raw power and exceptionally powerful low end. There are times like outdoor gigs where you need that power. Also, it has no problem handling something like an acoustic bass or a stomp box pedal at high volumes. The high frequency driver is also very heavy duty. The MTM design actually has very good dispersion. I put a speaker stand mount on the bottom of mine. The only negatives are that it is really big and really heavy. I keep it though because it will easily handle high volume and outdoor gigs that would normally require a full PA. I don’t think I would buy it if I already had the D6-58. I would just use the D6-58 plus an external PA speaker. Since I have it though, I am definitely keeping it. It makes the larger gigs a one box affair, and it really kicks when the job requires that. Plus, I am afraid not to have a spare amp.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I will be interested in hearing your opinion of the D6-58 as I absolutely LOVE mine. It is my main gigging amp. At 120 watts, it is almost always enough, and you can run a powered speaker or two from it when it isn’t.

I would just use the D6-58 plus an external PA speaker. Since I have it though, I am definitely keeping it. It makes the larger gigs a one box affair, and it really kicks when the job requires that. Plus, I am afraid not to have a spare amp.
I missed delivery yesterday because UPS came more than two hours before their scheduled time (don't get me going on UPS!). So, I should get it today. I doubt I'll ever need more power. We simply never play loud gigs outside. Or anywhere, for that matter. At least we haven't needed it to date.

Truth be told, I bought the D6-58 for the 'one-and-done,' all in one box convenience combined with the built-in mixer I know and love, the wood cabinet and battery power. I easily could have gone down a model or two in power output but I think the D6-58 is going to be more than enough for us.

Plus, I'll keep at least one of the Bose S1 Pro's (and maybe both) as a backup along with the X6 which I'll probably also keep as a backup. That way I'll have something super small, lightweight and convenient for when we want to travel ultra-light and don't need much power like busking or a bonfires and parties.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:32 AM

Great thread! You have received some excellent recommendations and reviews.

Have you considered the Bose L1 Pro8?

The Bose works great for my needs.
I play out 2-3 times a month - Solo Guitar/Singer.
Bars and Breweries and summer outdoor patio gigs.

I also have the S1 Pro and used to use this by itself and it worked really well for small gigs. But the Pro8 is on another level.

The Pro8 is huge full sounding and projects way out in the crowd without being beamy or too loud.

In addition, I can take the output of the Pro8 into the S1 as monitor or additional speaker to fill another area of the venue.

The Bose sounds fantastic especially vocals.
Very easy to move and set up.. Ideal for my needs.

It has 2 instrument/vocal inputs with reverb and tone match EQ settings available. 3rd input is Aux in and has BT.
When I have a duo or trio - I add a Yamaha MG10X mixer.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:52 AM

I am continuing to monitor this thread and thank all for their thoughtful responses. I am leaning towards a small mixer like the Yamaha MG10XU or Soundcraft 12FX together with a powered speaker like the QSC k8.2 or k10.2
Old 09-16-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I missed delivery yesterday because UPS came more than two hours before their scheduled time (don't get me going on UPS!)...
When mine came, I was sitting a few feet away from the front door, and somehow UPS stopped by without ringing the doorbell or giving a proper knock...

I ended up doing an after hours pickup at the UPS center. Yeah, UPS is frustrating!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification