The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-09-2021, 09:40 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar amp with good vocals (Canada)

I am looking for opinions on good ways to amp vocals and guitar, with the emphasis on vocals. I have a k&k mini pickup in a Martin guitar, but while I am not great at either, I can likely sing better than I can play. I have performed a few times at an outdoor location with about 60-70 people and have thus far borrowed my wife's Behringer p.a. I would like something with a little reverb. I know that many have given the Elite Audio d6-58 good reviews for this purpose, but shipping, tax and brokerage fees will add $300-400 to the price. I also read good reviews of the Carvin AG series, that are now discontinued. Rather than the d6-58, I am wondering if it would make more sense to consider something else, that I can buy in Canada, or perhaps a good p a system with some sort of separate reverb/effects? Most of what I have done research or seen discussed I would be able to purchase online from Canada, but I haven't seen any Elite Audio retailers. I know there are many different opinions on this, but I appreciate all input. I live in a small community so trying out various setups isnt available. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Murrfk; 09-09-2021 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-10-2021, 05:14 AM

An obvious (and fairly cheap) one-box option for you is the TC Helicon Play Acoustic. Good guitar treatment with the BodyRez option plus reverb and delay. And, lots of harmonies to choose from for the singer in you. Get one used for a couple hundred bucks, plug it in your existing PA and off you go. Well worth a try, IMO.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:26 AM

One thing I neglected to mention is that my wife is supporting replacing her PA with my own. Apparently she takes good care of her things. So suggestions in that are also appreciated. Budget is $500+1000. ish.

Last edited by Murrfk; 09-10-2021 at 06:27 AM. Reason: More typos
Old 09-10-2021, 06:31 AM

Depends a lot on where you plan to play with your rig. If you're going to be playing gigs in larger rooms, then a pa system of some sort is likely the way to go. If you are just looking to play at home or jam with buddies, then an amplifier of some sort might suit you better.

I've had good results gigging with a Bose T1 mixer with a Bose Compact speaker, or a pair of self powered JBL Eon 612's . Often I'll skip the mixer and just go straight into the Compact, but then there is no reverb.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrfk View Post
I am looking for opinions on good ways to amp vocals and guitar, with the emphasis on vocals. I have a k&k mini pickup in a Martin guitar, but while I am not great at either, I can likely sing better than I can play. I have performed a few times at an outdoor location with about 60-70 people and have thus far borrowed my wife's Behringer p.a. I would like something with a little reverb. I know that many have given the Elite Audio d6-58 good reviews for this purpose, but shipping, tax and brokerage fees will add $300-400 to the price. I also read good reviews of the Carvin AG series, that are now discontinued. Rather than the d6-58, I am wondering if it would make more sense to consider something else, that I can buy in Canada, or perhaps a good p a system with some sort of separate reverb/effects? Most of what I have done research or seen discussed I would be able to purchase online from Canada, but I haven't seen any Elite Audio retailers. I know there are many different opinions on this, but I appreciate all input. I live in a small community so trying out various setups isnt available. Let me know your thoughts.
Is the Cube EX available in Canada?
Old 09-10-2021, 07:36 AM

Lots of pro, gigging musicians carry Fishman Loudbox Artist with them on tour. They are light weight, sound great and well built. Everything you need for a singer/instrumentalist performing in a small/medium venue, in a compact package, and easily connected to a PA (or small powered speaker) for larger spaces.

Well within your budget and widely available in Canada.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Is the Cube EX available in Canada?
I see it for sale, but it is out of stock everywhere I looked. Is this preferable to the Boss or Fishman choices, when it comes to vocals?

I am jumping between 1.) a QSC 10.2 and some sort of mixer/pedal, 2.) a system such as the Fishman SA330x, and 3.) one of the all in one amplifiers, such as the Boss Acoustic Singer, or Fishman loudboxes. (Or a Elite Audio if c6-58 I can find a way to get one to Canada at a reasonable price.)

Last edited by Murrfk; 09-10-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:50 AM

I had the Cube EX for a while and ended up selling it. The high frequency drivers are pretty mediocre. They are just tiny speakers. I don't think there is even a crossover. There was a strong peak at 10k that made it feed back pretty easily.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Murrfk;6806253]

I am jumping between 1.) a QSC 10.2 and some sort of mixer/pedal, 2.) a system such as the Fishman SA330x, and 3.) one of the all in one amplifiers, such as the Boss Acoustic Singer, or Fishman loudboxes. (OTE]

I had a Boss Acoustic Singer Live and it was ok for vocals, but I like the
Bose S1 Pro better for vocals and the L1 Compact is another step up. I occasionally I use a mixer + QSC K8.2, and I prefer that combo to the
L1 Compact, but is is a totally different presentation.

Maybe this will give you some idea of a pecking order. I am also
trying to find a great combo amp for vocals for less money than a Bose Pro8.
There is a thread where I was/am considering a Genzler Array.
I am following this thread with interest.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I had the Cube EX for a while and ended up selling it. The high frequency drivers are pretty mediocre. They are just tiny speakers. I don't think there is even a crossover. There was a strong peak at 10k that made it feed back pretty easily.
I'll assure you that they don't send the low frequency content to the 2" tweeters. The tweeter most likely use series connected capacitors to block mid and low frequencies. That's a common scenario, inexpensive, light weight, and it works. The 2" tweeters could be considered superior to a cheap piezo horn that most all combo amps have. Look at a good 2 way high fidelity speaker for a home stereo and check to see how many of those have horn tweeters. Some may look like horns, but they'll often have a high end ribbon driver behind the bell.

I researched reviews of the Cube EX and I don't recall one of the 75 customer reviews at Sweetwater's website mentioning feedback issues. There'salways the chance that you purchased a faulty Cube EX.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-10-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I see it for sale, but it is out of stock everywhere I looked. Is this preferable to the Boss or Fishman choices, when it comes to vocals?

I am jumping between 1.) a QSC 10.2 and some sort of mixer/pedal, 2.) a system such as the Fishman SA330x, and 3.) one of the all in one amplifiers, such as the Boss Acoustic Singer, or Fishman loudboxes. (Or a Elite Audio if c6-58 I can find a way to get one to Canada at a reasonable price.)
I have not owned the others; no need for me, so I can't offer an opinion as to what is better or worse.

As far as the general opinion of the Cube EX I'd recommend reading the 75 customer reviews at Sweetwater. They don't filter reviews, so what you see is actual reviews, good or bad.

Sweetwater Cube EX customer reviews
Old 09-10-2021, 01:17 PM

I have a Boss Acoustic Singer Pro amp that I think meets your criteria. It's got a vocal channel with separate reverb and delay, and a guitar channel with separate reverb and chorus as well as a body resonance simulator. The reverb on both channels is high quality and easily tweaked in terms of the amount applied. In addition the amp also has an adjustable vocal harmony feature which I've found to be a nice effect and pretty natural sounding when used in moderation. Also worth mentioning is the fact that the amp has selectable balanced outputs for each channel so it can act as a preamp and monitor if you want to plug into a PA.

As a demo, here's a video of me playing a Beatles tune using my amp, its body resonance and harmony functions, and just a touch of reverb on both guitar and vocals:

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-10-2021, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I've heard Yorkville powered speakers that sounded very good. Made in Canada, eh?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-10-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your budget is but LR Baggs makes a 2 channel powered PA speaker called the “Synapse” which has some incredible reverb on each channel. Very nice sounding. Right now I’m running a TCH VoiceLive Acoustic through it for vocal EQ and effects but running just through the PA with the built in reverb sounds awesome.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:12 PM

I believe you can't go past a Fishman Loudbox if you only want a guitar and vocals. They are available in a few sizes.

I use a variety of speaker sizes from an EV Evolve 50, EV ELX112P, and EV ELX200-15P, and sometimes with a sub if I'm using a stompbox and for larger louder gigs, but also regularly use a Fishman Loudbox Mini for small room restaurant type gigs.
At a couple of gigs, I'm situated inside, so set up the Loudbox Mini for foldback and low volume for diners, and line out into a bigger powered PA speaker which I place on the outside deck area. It ways sounds great, and I get a really nice vocal sound out it.

Have a look on here for some videos of noledog performing. I think he uses Fishman Loubox amps exclusively, and always sounds fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification