The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2021, 08:00 AM

Default Compact 60/2 vs newer versions

I found a good deal on an oak compact 60/2...very good shape. I can't find the differences between the 2, 3 and 4. What I'm fishing for is "the tone remains the same, all that has changed are the options (ins/outs, efx)." Or...were there any technical issues with the 2 to avoid (prompted the release of later versions.) Reliability? Also, how do the Compacts handle pedals?
Thnx in advance.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
I found a good deal on an oak compact 60/2...very good shape. I can't find the differences between the 2, 3 and 4. What I'm fishing for is "the tone remains the same, all that has changed are the options (ins/outs, efx)." Or...were there any technical issues with the 2 to avoid (prompted the release of later versions.) Reliability? Also, how do the Compacts handle pedals?
Thnx in advance.
At least the 3rd version was lighter than the 2nd (-1Kg)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-29-2021, 07:02 PM

I can’t comment on the differences between tech spec of the iterations, but I have a 4 and have gigged with a borrowed 2, and also own an Alpha Plus from 2014, around the time of the 3.

For guitar, the units are indistinguishable to my ears. For vocals, the 4 is a little smoother and carries a touch less 6-10k sibilance, but you need your supersleuth ears on to detect the difference. All three units sound excellent. I feel the reverb is perhaps a hair more refined on the 4.

Pedals wise, yes they take pedals very well indeed. I use a Boss AD10 with an SD-1W, DM-2W (both Waza Craft editions) and a Mooer Tender Octaver Mk1 in the FX loop. I make extensive use of the boost, pre/EQ, compression and looper in the AD10 also, and the C60 and AP handle it all in their stride. They take pedals better than any other acoustic amp I’ve owned, and would recommend them for that purpose particularly.

I think you could confidently buy a 60/2 and be very happy. The quality and sheer pro-level functionality of AER products is remarkable. I say this as a recent AER convert with 23yrs and 3000+ gigs as a full-time working musician who has run through just about every FOH system and amp imaginable. They’re brilliant, trust me.

As for reliability, I’ve never heard or read of any AER gear breaking down-normally forums are full of tales of woe as they tend to be the places people come for advice in a crisis, but I’ve not come across any such tales relating to any iteration of C60, which strikes me as both highly unusual and quite a testament to their build quality. I know dozens of players who use them night after night, in and out of cars/vans/buses/planes/public transport, and I’ve never heard of one single incident of an AER failing. My Alpha Plus is 7yrs old and was gigged extensively by the PO for acoustic, electric jazz guitar, vocals and allsorts, and it’s not only held up perfectly cosmetically, but also functions as new. Not a scratchy pot or crackly jack socket anywhere.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I can’t comment on the differences between tech spec of the iterations, but I have a 4 and have gigged with a borrowed 2, and also own an Alpha Plus from 2014, around the time of the 3.

For guitar, the units are indistinguishable to my ears. For vocals, the 4 is a little smoother and carries a touch less 6-10k sibilance, but you need your supersleuth ears on to detect the difference. All three units sound excellent. I feel the reverb is perhaps a hair more refined on the 4.

Pedals wise, yes they take pedals very well indeed. I use a Boss AD10 with an SD-1W, DM-2W (both Waza Craft editions) and a Mooer Tender Octaver Mk1 in the FX loop. I make extensive use of the boost, pre/EQ, compression and looper in the AD10 also, and the C60 and AP handle it all in their stride. They take pedals better than any other acoustic amp I’ve owned, and would recommend them for that purpose particularly.

I think you could confidently buy a 60/2 and be very happy. The quality and sheer pro-level functionality of AER products is remarkable. I say this as a recent AER convert with 23yrs and 3000+ gigs as a full-time working musician who has run through just about every FOH system and amp imaginable. They’re brilliant, trust me.

As for reliability, I’ve never heard or read of any AER gear breaking down-normally forums are full of tales of woe as they tend to be the places people come for advice in a crisis, but I’ve not come across any such tales relating to any iteration of C60, which strikes me as both highly unusual and quite a testament to their build quality. I know dozens of players who use them night after night, in and out of cars/vans/buses/planes/public transport, and I’ve never heard of one single incident of an AER failing. My Alpha Plus is 7yrs old and was gigged extensively by the PO for acoustic, electric jazz guitar, vocals and allsorts, and it’s not only held up perfectly cosmetically, but also functions as new. Not a scratchy pot or crackly jack socket anywhere.
Thank you VERY much! Exactly the info I needed!!
Old 07-30-2021, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I own a Compact 60/2, and it is a terrific little amplifier! I looked into a 60/3 before I bought mine (lightly used) and could not find anything on the /3 that would put it head-and-shoulders above the /2. A few more effects settings, which are not really that important to me. The /2 has only 4 effect settings and they are VERY musical and useable to my ears.

To another reply's point: before I bought mine, I googled "problems with AER Compact 60"... and found NOT ONE ENTRY!!! ZERO/ZILCH/NADA!!!

That pretty much sealed the deal for me...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-31-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I cant answer your question specifically, but will lend my support to AER and now Udo Amps overall quality. I have one and have known several others, and never a glitch from any of them.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
aer compact 60/2