The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Issues Using Fishman Loudbox as Stage Monitor

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted around here, but I'm hoping to get some advice on running my Fishman Loudbox Performer as a Direct Out and Stage Monitor. I play in a 7 piece country band, which has a fairly loud stage volume, especially on my side of the stage. I'm the only member who doesn't use in-ears (I just don't like them). We have recently invested in our own rack, board, etc to run our monitors and send a snake to the main board of the venues we play.

I've been attempting to use my Fishman Loudbox Performer to run my guitar and vocals direct out to our board, and then using the amp as a floor monitor for myself. However, FEEDBACK! There's no issue with volume, it's plenty loud, but man am I fighting feedback constantly, through the mic and through my guitar. I really want this thing to work, as I like having the controls for my monitor mix right at hand by adjusting my channel gain or MV. Does anyone have any advice on how to address this?

Another (probably dumb) question is this. The direct out on the individual channels of the Fishman (which I send to our board) is pre-FX. Even though this would eliminate my control on the amp (I would still have control through the board app) could I turn the gain all the way down on both channels, and then run an aux input from the board and essentially use the amp as a floor monitor only? Would the channel gain all the way down still send a signal to the board? Would this still create a loop?

Sorry, I know, a lot of questions. I don't know much about this stuff, and am really trying to figure out the best way to make this new system work.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:21 AM

Have you tried a feedback buster? You know, one of those rubber plugs for the soundhole?
Old 09-18-2021, 08:07 AM

Where are you positioning it? Try BEHIND you facing out to the room angled up to your head. If you have it if front of you like a regular monitor it could be interfering with the house PA speakers.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I've had the same problem. I set my Loudbox Mini to one side and ahead of me but point it out toward audience at 45 degrees ish so I can hear my playing.
This seems to work for me. A bandmate/ singer playing guitar on a cheaper, trebly amp is what I have to deal with so I also have to put an earplug in my left ear, my amp arrayed to my right.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification