The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2021, 08:08 AM

Default Issues Using Fishman Loudbox as Stage Monitor

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted around here, but I'm hoping to get some advice on running my Fishman Loudbox Performer as a Direct Out and Stage Monitor. I play in a 7 piece country band, which has a fairly loud stage volume, especially on my side of the stage. I'm the only member who doesn't use in-ears (I just don't like them). We have recently invested in our own rack, board, etc to run our monitors and send a snake to the main board of the venues we play.

I've been attempting to use my Fishman Loudbox Performer to run my guitar and vocals direct out to our board, and then using the amp as a floor monitor for myself. However, FEEDBACK! There's no issue with volume, it's plenty loud, but man am I fighting feedback constantly, through the mic and through my guitar. I really want this thing to work, as I like having the controls for my monitor mix right at hand by adjusting my channel gain or MV. Does anyone have any advice on how to address this?

Another (probably dumb) question is this. The direct out on the individual channels of the Fishman (which I send to our board) is pre-FX. Even though this would eliminate my control on the amp (I would still have control through the board app) could I turn the gain all the way down on both channels, and then run an aux input from the board and essentially use the amp as a floor monitor only? Would the channel gain all the way down still send a signal to the board? Would this still create a loop?

Sorry, I know, a lot of questions. I don't know much about this stuff, and am really trying to figure out the best way to make this new system work.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:21 AM

Where is the amp positioned re your playing session?

Don’t worry about signal out - deal with that through PA.
Martin J40
Old 09-16-2021, 08:26 AM

I've been placing it front left on stage, with another powered monitor on front right. They are both angled up towards the mic and are very close. I use the powered monitor for a base mix of the band, and use the amp for vocals and guitar. When it works, it's fantastic, but like I said, feedback has been an issue.

I can always adjust the monitor mix through an app, but the problem I run into is that as the night rolls on, stage volumes get louder and louder with my bass player and lead player, and then I have to open the app on my phone and dick around with it in the middle of a show. I really like just being able to adjust the gain or MV on my amp to give me a little more volume where I need it as this happens.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:53 AM

Mixing the vocal with the guitar will be the starting point of your troubles, along with the fact that the Loudbox is pointing back at you and the guitar's sound board. Turning up the gain on either of it's channels will increase the chance of feedback. In a solo of duo that amp and a bigger speaker can do fine, but in a kicking country rock band it won't be loud enough without really pushing the gain. Then let the feedback begin...

If it was me, I'd run my vocal through the board and use the other speaker for monitoring. I'd position the Loudbox behind me to avoid having it pointing at the front of the guitar, and send the signal to board. I'd also ask the other guys to turn down a bit.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:43 PM

I'm not surprised you're getting feedback with that arrangement. A few things to consider.

If you're using the Mix DI Out to send to front-of-house, don't adjust your Loudbox volumes with the gain. Those are pre-DI and will also affect the FOH levels and the sound guy won't be happy. A glance at the Performer schematic looks like there is no way to adjust the *output* level for the channels separately if you're using the Mix DI Out.

What you might try is sending separate DI outs from the Pre-EQ DI outputs--the schematic shows these are pre-gain, so then you could conceivably adjust your stage guitar/vox individual volume on the Loudbox with the gain knobs. You want to let the FOH guy do your FOH EQ anyway.

I think trying to use the Loudbox for vocals too will always be a bit problematic, though. Like Pnewsom I'd see if I could get my vox through the floor monitor, and keep the guitar separate.

And as mentioned, play with the Loudbox placement. Get it pointing away from the mic, or at the back of the mic, as much as possible. Maybe using it more as a side-fill, instead of in front of you, might work better.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:30 AM

oops, disregard...
Old 09-17-2021, 05:31 AM

Use a feedback buster in your soundhole to eliminate feedback. I use one on any gig where I know volume will be an issue and I never have a problem.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

This may be obvious but it sounds like the problem is more with excessive stage volume that you have to try an overcome with more volume in your LB 'monitor' than is manageable. Perhaps a band meeting discussion might be warranted to tame the stage volume issue. With the good PA and monitor set up you report there's no reason for this much volume on the stage.

If it's any comfort I recall seeing John Lee Hooker years ago who was being backed by a local pick up band. Half way into the first song he stopped, looked at the band and said "y'all gonna have to turn that sh** down". Probably not the approach you want to take with your band mates, but it worked for J.L.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification