The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Default Giving and Receiving

After playing our acoustic gig last night and during the 45 minute trip home alone, I had some time to contemplate. (My partner went home with his wife who had driven separately).
This is what came to mind:
Remembering the reactions of the small group of folks we played for made me realize some things. Where we played is an intimate little venue, quite nice and with a great sound system.
The happy looks on people's faces for certain songs, the appreciative applause and them singing along at times made me think about all the times I had been on the opposite side of the stage in their shoes.
I realized how sometimes we forget how lucky we are to have the ability to entertain on one hand and be entertained on the other...being a giver and a receiver. Wow, pretty cool!
Old 06-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

A very good reminder...thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-05-2016, 02:02 PM

Very cool
thanks for the reminder!
good post
dave
Old 06-05-2016, 02:48 PM

Cool indeed!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

More of these posts...less trolling!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:54 PM

Very true indeed, how lucky we are.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:40 PM

Yes good job!
Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 PM

Indeed.

It is nice we can make music to give to others.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 AM

Very true, and I'll share a similar story:

We were hired to play the wedding reception at a Quaker wedding (bluegrass band), and tying up all the loose ends, like the contract, and then the couple wanting to change the fee, right through to getting set up on the day of, really had me thinking we should have skipped that show. It was a nightmare.

Sometime during the third set, we were playing an uptempo barn-burner, lots of good three-part harmony, and people were on the floor, dancing and whirling like the Scrambler at the county fair, all having a blast, it seemed.

It was unbearably hot in the venue, and we were all dripping and leaving puddles on the floor, hard to breathe, and noisy from our music, the crowd, and the dancing.

Partway through the song, I spotted the bride, dancing like a woman possessed, and at that point, someone grabbed her, tossed her off her feet, and when she landed, she was facing the stage.

We locked eyes, and I gave her a little smile and a nod, and she stamped her foot, had her arms down stiff at her side, and so loud she actually cut through everything else, she screamed, "THIS IS THE BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE! YOU GUYS ROOOOOCCCCK!"

Man, I'll tell you, that really got to me. I'd had good feedback before, applause and all that, or people telling me they enjoyed a particular song after a show, but in the moment like that, covered in sweat, hitting a big syncopated Jimmy Martin bass run on my D28, and her saying that...best feeling in the world.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:26 AM

Hey CarryOn, that's what it's all about!
Glad you posted your experience.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:50 AM

I volunteer at a small nonprofit venue. It sits 80 in a room about the size of a large living room. No alcohol or food service, people just come to listen to the music.

It's a very intimate venue, lots of interaction between the performers and audience members before, during and after the performance. It's a very unique and enjoyable experience for the audience members to be so connected to the performer. I assume it is equally meaningful to the performers since I am the box office and know that they are not doing it for the massive amount of money (not) that is taken in.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 AM

^^^^ that is a cool place!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:08 AM

I've only had the pleasure of playing for people a few times (i'm not a particularly talented player or singer) but I know what it feels like to be in front of people; it's a very vulnerable situation. I always make sure to thank the band at any venue I'm in because they do it for the love of the music, and that's something I can really appreciate.

So, for you guys who put in the time and miles to entertain others, I send you a heartfelt thank you.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
After playing our acoustic gig last night and during the 45 minute trip home alone, I had some time to contemplate. (My partner went home with his wife who had driven separately).
This is what came to mind:
Remembering the reactions of the small group of folks we played for made me realize some things. Where we played is an intimate little venue, quite nice and with a great sound system.
The happy looks on people's faces for certain songs, the appreciative applause and them singing along at times made me think about all the times I had been on the opposite side of the stage in their shoes.
I realized how sometimes we forget how lucky we are to have the ability to entertain on one hand and be entertained on the other...being a giver and a receiver. Wow, pretty cool!
I think you just described humanity.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

While I do enjoy playing alone at home for my own satisfaction, performing is the thing that really gets my blood pumping. And it doesn't matter if its for 5 people for 500 it's still the same rush when they smile and clap and sing along. When you can see that for a 3 minute section of their life that a song occupies they have been touched or remembered something important to them or even felt the weight of the world lift a little for a few minutes - that's just an amazing thing. And my wife and I talk all the time about the wonderful and amazing people that have come into our lives just because of music. It's a great place to be.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion