The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2015, 01:47 PM

Default Washburn D11 acoustic, need parts, need help

i recently purchased a Washburn D11 dreadnought acoustic. they dont make this exact model anymore - i cant find it online anyway. the guitar is in excellent condition, no warping, cracks, etc. barely used, if at all. its beautiful, but the last owner took some parts off it.

i was really excited about it, as online people say it has a unique sound being made from Ash.

i need to buy tuning machines and a nut for it, as it came without them, and
i thought mistakenly that it would be cheap to replace.

I'm a FT student, on a student budget...what replacement parts should i get to replace these missing parts so that i still have a quality guitar at the end of this? i haven't a clue what machines to get. the nut i'm assuming is pretty standard and cheap. thanks for the help.

also, i'm thinking about replacing parts and just reselling it, so does that change your recommendations?

mostly i'm concerned with buying parts that are going to fit this guitar. i'm a newbie and haven't a clue about whats right and wrong fit.

i do know about ratios, although the 18:1 and up seem pricey.

i can post pictures later if it will help.

thanks everyone.

PS. the local guitar center is charging me an arm and a leg for these items, they said $100 for machines, strings, nut; that's with used parts. when its all said and done, i could've bought a pretty nice brand new beginners guitar setup for that price. i had called and asked about repair pricing b4 purchase, but obviously asked the wrong questions.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:03 PM

Default Washburn Parts

First off, welcome to the forums!

Let us know where you live, I'm sure someone can recommend a reputable shop or luthier for you to deal with. I agree, $100 is too much to spend for tuners on that guitar. You can probably install them yourself, with a little help from the internet or an experienced friend.

StewMac is a good source for that kind of thing, as well as just about anything else guitar related.

http://www.stewmac.com/

Nuts Saddles and such go from inexpensive to "how high is up?" but you should be able to get it done inexpensively. Again, Stew Mac is a good place for parts, but nuts and saddles are a bit more involved to cut and install. Again, let us know where you live and I'm sure someone will give you a line on a good luthier or tech.

Enjoy the forums!

Last edited by PTC Bernie; 11-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:21 PM

If you're going to do the work yourself, get a nut with pre-cut slots in it. Cutting the slots requires nut files, one for each slot (6) and they are expensive. Having said that, even with a pre - cut nut, you will have to make some adjustments to the slots or the guitar will be hard to play. You may have to take the guitar to a tech after all. Sounds like the $100 included parts AND labor. Not a bad price, but you may be able to do better.
For tuning machines, anything Stewart MacDonald sells is good quality, just buy the cheapest set that will fit; same size, same mounting, unless you are prepared to drill holes in the back of the head stock for the screws in the back of the machines. They can give you dimensions over the phone or you can e-mail them.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-20-2015, 07:06 PM

Thanks PTC Bernie and YamaYairi.

I'm in Broomfield, Colorado.

I wouldn't mind installing the machines myself, let the pros string it, but the nut i'll buy and leave for someone else to install.

I'll take a look at your recommendations and see what I come up with.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM

Default tuning machine sizes??

I dont know what size machines to get. help?

The holes in the Washburn d11 headstock look to be 6/32", equivalent 15mm or 16mm diameter, and the headstock is 0.75" deep.

I called "stew mac" and they cant help me. I cant find this size anywhere!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9 View Post
I dont know what size machines to get. help?

The holes in the Washburn d11 headstock look to be 6/32", equivalent 15mm or 16mm diameter, and the headstock is 0.75" deep.

I called "stew mac" and they cant help me. I cant find this size anywhere!
Just get these and drill the holes out to 5/16".
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...d3_Tuners.html

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-24-2015, 07:42 AM

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I would hang it on a wall as wall art. These were inexpensive guitars when new and is laminate throughout. There is one listed on E-bay right now for $91 buy it now price + $25 shipping.

I think you may invest a bit of time and money to have a guitar that will be, well - underwhelming at best. If you are doing it to just learn about repair, setup and working on a guitar that is understandable - knowledge is worth the cost. If you are trying to get a nice guitar out of it I fear that it is a sow's ear and ain't gonna be a silk purse no matter what you do to it.

I'm not trying to be negative, just practical.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 AM

Another option for you. Check out your local craigslist. Look for any old Washburn dread. D8, D9, D10 etc. They can be had for $50 plus or minus. Swap the tuners, any other parts you like and you are in business.

For example

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/5316939501.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, nut, parts, tuning machines, washburn