The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Diagnosis Needed: Open E buzz with Capo on 1

Just had my Larrivee OM-40 set up with EXP 13's. Plays well up and down the neck with no buzz except for when I capo on the first fret.

The low E played open buzzes something terrible. All other capo positions work well and I have tried 3 different capos, all trigger style: G7th nashville, Kyser, and Dunlop. They all produce the same results. Capo is position directly behind the fret. I am considering trying an adjustable capo but it just seems odd to me. Any thought on a fix? Thanks in advanced.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorPo View Post
Just had my Larrivee OM-40 set up with EXP 13's. Plays well up and down the neck with no buzz except for when I capo on the first fret.

The low E played open buzzes something terrible. All other capo positions work well and I have tried 3 different capos, all trigger style: G7th nashville, Kyser, and Dunlop. They all produce the same results. Capo is position directly behind the fret. I am considering trying an adjustable capo but it just seems odd to me. Any thought on a fix? Thanks in advanced.
Does the low F note buzz when you fret it and pluck it?? If yes, then you have a low fret. If no, then the capo is not clamping the string down properly.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Yep, no buzz from fretting. Guess I will go get another capo, haha

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
buzz, fret buzz