The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Unhappy Buzzy sound

http://imgur.com/tYiOxpS
http://imgur.com/uEtZdYc
http://imgur.com/10zxLPl
http://imgur.com/brpYskV
So,i have this acoustic,it's a STAGG A 2006-CS,it's my first guitar.
I have some problems with it.
First of all,some people think the action is a bit too high,so I plan on getting a new saddle and sanding it (as you can see the current one is pretty damaged at the Low E string,the string digged into the plastic and it moves around,but it doesn't causes any problems,it's pretty annoying tho).The problem is that i don't know how to remove the strings on this kind of guitar,can someone expalin this to me?
Another problem will be the buzzing.When played open,there is no problem,but if i apply a capo on 4th,5th,6th,7th and so one fret,the G string starts buzzing,sometimes acting like being muted.I've tried putting the capo the other way,and it sometimes fixed the problem,but it's pretty unconfortable playing that way.
I also get some buzz sounds when i'm doing upstrokes,the downstrokes are really clean,but the upstrokes are causing me lots of problems,especially with a capo on.

Last edited by IonutPutinica; 02-04-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Too many possible solutions -

Go to Frets.com and read thru all the sections on the fretboard, frets, relief, nut setup, saddle setup, and troubleshooting - that will give you a chance to analyze what might be happening, and what it'll take to fix it -

Or, find a good guitar tech and let them take a look at it -
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM

Hi there, sorry your having trouble. If you are unsure on how to take the strings off, you really shouldn't dive into the more difficult areas of saddle shaping and so forth. It probably just needs a setup. Most guitar techs at a guitar store can handle that. If you haven't done your own setups before, don't start with this many problems. Also, ask them about removing strings as they should be able to show you in a few seconds. Putting on a new set of strings should be part of the setup process (you pay for the strings of course).

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Hi there, sorry your having trouble. If you are unsure on how to take the strings off, you really shouldn't dive into the more difficult areas of saddle shaping and so forth. It probably just needs a setup. Most guitar techs at a guitar store can handle that. If you haven't done your own setups before, don't start with this many problems. Also, ask them about removing strings as they should be able to show you in a few seconds. Putting on a new set of strings should be part of the setup process (you pay for the strings of course).

Good luck!
Well,it came with a new set of string when I bought it a month ago,so I don't thing they cause any problems.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 AM

The neck could be 'back-bowed', in need of a truss rod adjustment. To remove the saddle, you might be able to slip it out, with the strings loosened to their max at the tuners. Otherwise pull the strings off the tuners, to re-attach them when the saddle work is done.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:38 AM

"(as you can see the current one is pretty damaged at the Low E string,the string digged into the plastic and it moves around,but it doesn't causes any problems,it's pretty annoying tho)."

what do you mean it moves around? This doesn't sound right.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM

you wrote: "(as you can see the current one is pretty damaged at the Low E string,the string digged into the plastic and it moves around,but it doesn't causes any problems,it's pretty annoying tho)."

What do you mean it moves around?

Also, place your capo at the 1st fret and then press the low E string down at the 14th fret and see if you have any space between the top of the 7th fret and the bottom of the string. If not, you may need to adjust the relief as others have suggested.

I would check the relief before messing with the saddle. You mentioned you have high action which usually equates to less buzz.

One last question, is the guitar in standard tuning? You don't have it tuned down a few steps do you?
Old 02-04-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 chord View Post
you wrote: "(as you can see the current one is pretty damaged at the Low E string,the string digged into the plastic and it moves around,but it doesn't causes any problems,it's pretty annoying tho)."

Also, place your capo at the 1st fret and then press the low E string down at the 14th fret and see if you have any space between the top of the 7th fret and the bottom of the string. If not, you may need to adjust the relief as others have suggested.

I would check the relief before messing with the saddle. You mentioned you have high action which usually equates to less buzz.

One last question, is the guitar in standard tuning? You don't have it tuned down a few steps do you?
It's in the standard tuning.Well,i've posted some pics,but it seems they won't show up,the low E string digged a bit into the saddle,and it moves left and right on it's place.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 chord View Post

They are working now,check the last 2 pics.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:22 PM

I wouldn't replace the saddle, looks like it was not broken, but changed for intonation. I would take it to some one to look at if only for an evaluation.

To change strings I would take the tension off of one string at a time and cut the string, it will pull out of the bridge and unwind from the tuner. Replace and tune then do the next one.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:35 PM

I would loosen the strings and take out the saddle to see what is under the saddle. Is that the under saddle pickup or something else showing under the high e string?

You may have an under the saddle pickup as well as shims. I would try to determine what all is under the saddle first off before sanding the saddle. if there are shims, take it (them) out for starters.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonutPutinica View Post
Well,it came with a new set of string when I bought it a month ago,so I don't thing they cause any problems.
Not what I meant at all. You mentioned about taking the strings off so that is why I said it. You always use new strings when you are replacing a saddle. The old strings have bends in them from the old saddle. Also, you never set intonation with old strings because the backs of all the strings haven dents and so forth.

Looks like someone shimmed BEHIND the saddle... was that there when you got it?? That's doesn't seem right at all. Someone probably did that because the saddle fit was too loose. Definitely need a new saddle!

This plus pages and pages of other issues you can read about elsewhere are a very clear sign that you should simply pay someone else the small price to do a setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
buzz, buzz noise, buzzing