The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

I have two, an Ibanez semi-hollow that I strung with flatwounds and use for my chord-melody jazz stuff. However, Iíve pretty much switched to nylon and only seldom play it.

The other is a home-made lap steel. I had a left-over single-coil pickup from another project and the project proved to be quite simple... I found the layout for the body shape online.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I don't own an electric, nor do I GAS for an electric. However, were I to go over to the dark side, I'd want to go all the way dark with a Les Paul.
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I have a T-Style guitar. I don't really get the hoopla about standard Teles. The vintage radius, unbalanced pickups, and short top horn make them a little quirky to play. If I need the shorter top horn, I'm adding a B-Bender. I also want balanced pickups, flat radius, stainless steel frets (which are super slick for bending), Nashville pickups, and 7 way switching (adds B+N and all 3 pickups).
Limited Edition walnut Taylor 12 fret non-cutaway ES2
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

Telecaster
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

Gretsch country gentleman 59
One banjo
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Tele Tele Tele! Oh my goodness.
What could explain this much Tele-Love but so little Strat-Love?

335 man here, asking what exactly makes a Tele this much more satisfying than a Strat?
Don't Strats have more pickups, knobs or switch positions?
And, isn't more better?
And before you answer, "because of simplicity", can't the more-more-more Strat do all that the Tele does, and then some?

Or are Tele PUs, materials, and design that much fundamentally different?
I've owned and played many Teles and Strats over the years, and of course with the huge diversity of designs marketed and sold it's hard to center on what is being compared.

Speaking of the sort of accepted "classic" designs (with the Tele that means the now more common, more conventional, pickup switching setup rather than the early 50s modes). And speaking of "most of time" and YMMV. And yes, add the effect of amps and effects (not to mention player's technique) and you can throw all of this out the window.

Tele bridge pickup is more powerful and cutting than the Strat, and the tone knob lets brightness be tamed within easy reach of the player's hand. Some Teles have a very bright sounding bridge PU, but not all, the sock of a good "nocaster" or "Broadcaster" style Tele bridge PU is impressive. Both Strat and Tele PUs have family similarities, but the Tele's baseplate and large ferrous bridge are thought to be part of this different sound.

Tele neck pickups have a mellow sound, yes. There's something about them and perhaps the Tele's bridge design that can make some Tele's with some players sound uncannily like they are playing an archtop when played clean. The only way I can explain it that that the filtering aspect of body resonance may play into the illusion of the hollow-body resonance.

This "unbalanced pickup pair" thing is part of the Tele's versatility. Switching pickups can make for quite a sound difference. It's not as popular a sound as the Tele bridge (there's a reason the one pickup "Esquire" design is a common variant), but I've watched Bill Frisell play whole concerts 95% on the traditional Tele neck PU. I'm not going to focus on mods here, but it's interesting that Tele mods often involve changing the neck pickup to something also different from the traditional Tele bridge, not something like Strat neck pickup (though that is done too).

Plus/Minus stuff: No Strat floating vibrato bridge, or decked pitch-down only either. Also no possible tuning issues from this with a Tele. Tele oblique bends do what you expect, and the unbent string stays at pitch. No Strat "quack" in-between two pickup sounds, but the Tele two pickup sound (something I used to use for much of my playing in my punky years) isn't available on the Strat either. Two pickups at once on a Tele sounds kind of like a super-wide humbucker, but it still has the Fender zing.

Strat advantages: the middle pickup (the Strat secret weapon). That "springy sound" you can get playing clean, particularly with a floating trem. And it's not sonic, but many folks love the "Comfort Contours."

As with lots of things, having both offers more than having one or the other. For most of my Tele playing this century I've used a three pickup Telecaster, most often with a neck humbucker, and I have a Bigsby on a Tele too.
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Default Gibson LP Traditional

Like most of you, I have a few guitars. My 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional is my favorite, but it is HEAVY. It doesn't sit out to be played much because it is locked up while at work. Nice pups, beefy neck, beautiful finish. I'm mid 50s and too much of it causes shoulder pain. I recently bought an LM 2 1/2" strap which I hope helps with that (compared to the 2" woven strap).
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Thumbs up Godin LGXSA

Godin LGXSA electric - electric acoustic - midi/synth

Split coils give me a terrific and versatile guitar and a beauty - It's got a solid mahogany body ! Yeah it's heavy but , the sustain is classic .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

My new Eastman T185MX
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/t185mx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (1).jpg (51.1 KB, 37 views)
1968 Guild F-112
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Gibson Firebird V 2015
Vox SDC-33
Eastman T185MX
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Cool

I just joined here right now!
I have played/gigged both acoustic and electric guitars equally for +40 years.

I own other electrics ( only a few now), and a Stratocaster has always been my ' go to for anything' electric.
I happen to think I can play anything ( well, that I know how to play, which is older R&R/Blues/Country) with a Strat and a clean >dirty Fender amp.
My Strat is a very comfy Vintage White ( yellow) Tex-Mex from '97, with USA Fender Fat '50s pickups.Just a great, cheap, player!
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
Godin LGXSA electric - electric acoustic - midi/synth

Split coils give me a terrific and versatile guitar and a beauty - It's got a solid mahogany body ! Yeah it's heavy but , the sustain is classic .

EZ :

HR
Of course if you have one of the above (...or similar) and one of the below (...or similar),

then you can sound like a Tele, a Strat, a 335 or even a 12 string acoustic at the touch of foot pedal.

Actually you can sound like anything you want to sound like...

Carvin SH 575, AE185-12
Faith Eclipse 12 string
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation Adamas U681T
Ovation Elite 5868, Elite DS778, Elite Collectors 98
Ovation Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string
Ovation Standard Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Suzuki SCG35CE
Taylor 320, NS34
Vintage V6 Strat
Yamaha SA503TVL

Last edited by Sonics; Yesterday at 07:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I guess my favorite would be my Gretsch White Falcon with twin Filter'Tron humbuckers.

GRETSCH.jpg
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

I think all the iconic designs are great. But I love the Telecaster. And I like it with the traditional pickups and other types of pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion