The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevad View Post
Thanks all. Day 2, and I'm still overjoyed! (Though, still getting used to the wider nut width. Should just take a few days and I'll be adjusted)

Finishing final preparations for the hurricane as well. Looks like the track has been updated to south of us, so while we'll still get a bunch of wind and rain, it probably won't be as bad for us as projected.

That said, thinking of everyone along the coast and in the new path. Stay safe!
I'm kind of curious about the nut width. I don't know if I've ever played a 1.75. But then the difference between that and just about every other acoustic I've ever owned is all of 1/16 of an inch, so I can't really imagine it's gonna feel THAT different. But I've been wrong before and I guess it's possible i could be again. And I know this is something a LOT of people are very picky about, so maybe it'll turn out I am too? I'll find out soon enough...

This storm seems to be taking a turn that will be good for my daughter's immediate safety given that she evacuated to Roanoke Rapids to the north and inland. But the same turn promises to be worse for her new home and her place of work in terms of winds and storm surge. Ultimately her safety is the most important thing, but I sure hope she and her boyfriend both have a home and jobs to go back to when this thing is finished doing what it's gonna do.

-Ray
Old 09-13-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I'm kind of curious about the nut width. I don't know if I've ever played a 1.75. But then the difference between that and just about every other acoustic I've ever owned is all of 1/16 of an inch, so I can't really imagine it's gonna feel THAT different. But I've been wrong before and I guess it's possible i could be again. And I know this is something a LOT of people are very picky about, so maybe it'll turn out I am too? I'll find out soon enough...
For me, it's just a bit of an additional stretch for some chords like holding a G chord with the 3rd and 4th fingers, and then trying to get the first fret of the high E. Thumb-overs are slightly more difficult too, which I have been working on a lot since focusing on fingerstyle. It's all just muscle memory though. After playing for a while, it should all just click. (at least that's what I hope!)

Glad your daughter is safe! Better safe than sorry, as my parents used to say. Things can always be replaced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber